Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice from "Old" LC's to "New" LC Students.

• 01-07-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I noticed that a lot of the population of this forum are finished their Leaving Certificate and have left that "terrible" era of their life behind, but for those students who aren't quite so lucky and have another year to go do you have any advice in regards to study etc. to help us out over the following 11 months (eek that's scared me to say that :pac:).

Just set up this thread so that anyone who has finished their LC can leave tips/ hints etc. about how they studied and what methods worked best for them or what they didn't do that would have benefited them! Hindsight is 20/20 but here you can use hindsight to help others! :p

Thanks for any replies in advance guys! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Just study. From September. Sit down each evening and learn something. Whether it's a paragraph of an essay or a quote. If you learn one piece of information really well rather than 5 hours of writing out notes and then going over them and still not really knowing it that well, then you've gained something.
    And don't mess around with new subjects and all that just know what your doing on your first day of school. Know how many options you have regarding third level (third language, science whatever). Research courses early. And before you go back to school maybe the evening before go through each exam paper and know what the structure is. I'll never forget some guy coming into school and asking me was Hamlet a guarantee since he wasn't on the paper last year.

Most important thing don't give out about how hard it is to study or how you're getting nothing done or you don't know how to study it actually makes things ten times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Start straight away. If I hadn't started working from the start I would've been rightly screwed cos my brain died after easter, the time where lots of people 'plan' to study properly. I couldn't. Just watch out for that!

Enjoy the year though, it was both the best and the worst year of my life, if that makes sense! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Don't mind them "study tips" and all that shít - they're a money-making racket. There's only one thing that's required - hard work. It's nobody elses' idea of great fun to sit down at a desk and learn, they just do it. You must too - there's no big secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

I don't believe there's need to "start studying straight away". Up until Christmas I would just keep on top of my homework and go over what was done in class. After Christmas, start studying properly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Start studying from September. You don't need to do more than an hour a day for the first few months but believe me it will all help when it comes to the last few weeks in the exam.

Cramming *can* work for subjects you have an aptitude for providing you worked consistently throughout fifth year. I studied for both my Chemistry and Biology exams the night before the exams (2PM - 4AM and 6AM - Exam start for both) and both exams went quite well. That said, I did some light study throughout the year prior to class tests and I always did my homework. The fact I didn't include Chemistry and Biology in my main study time freed up a whole lot of time for my weaker subjects like Maths and French and most importantly Business which I had to teach to myself in nine months. Cramming worked for me but that is no guarantee that it will work for you.

Do your homework to an extremely high standard. Never cut corners especially in subjects like English. File away your English essays and keep them safe.

For French/German/Spanish listen to French/German/Spanish radio to improve your Aural skills at least once a week from September onwards. It's very beneficial.

For subjects like Engineering or Technology (Or Construction to an extent...) be very careful with your timing when it comes to the project. You'd be surprised how short October - March seems when you have a mammoth of a project to complete alongside numerous other things like your Mocks and Orals.

Don't waste your time comparing study hours with everyone else. It's pointless.

Now for a few subject-centric tips:

English:Read, read, read and read some more. There's no real need to write any more than what you're given for homework so long as you are constantly reading varied written works. Read fiction, read articles, read speeches. Even better if you read about your chosen texts and poetry. I'd also recommend to steer clear of memorising short stories and "Sample essays" e.t.c. as it's wholly unnecessary.
    Francais:I'll be difficult and write my advice en Francais :p Mon conseil est simple. Travaillez dur de septembre en mai. Lisez les articles sur des sites comme Le Monde. Ecoutez la radio Francaise de temps en temps afin de ameliorer vos compétences auditives. Pratiquez traduire les articles Francais vers Anglais de temps en temps pour s'habituer a la langue Francaise.
    Maths:Practice previous exam papers (Skipping the parts that are no longer on the syllabus of course) but bear in mind that exam papers are not all that you should be doing. If you don't understand a topic i'd recommend use of a site like http://intmath.com to get a more comprehensive understanding of the topic. You don't need to repeat a method twenty times in order to memorise it if you know the theory behind it. The same goes for proofs. You won't need to memorise them if you understand how they act as proofs.
    Biology:It's rather difficult to advise people on a subject as huge as Biology. If you want a good tip i'd say pay attention in class and biology will become extremely easy. If you don't pay attention in class the subject will become nightmarish. It's very easy to get bogged down by the sheer amount of knowledge you need to have assimilated for the exam. Don't rely on your exam papers either. The questions are changing in style. Just sit down and learn the material. For more difficult topics like Protein synthesis or Respiration you'd be surprised by how great of a study aid Youtube can be :pac:
    Chemistry:The Chemistry course is very short and very manageable. Manageable that is providing you aren't "coasting" through the subject. The calculations aren't overly difficult but you will not survive the exam if you don't have a thorough understanding of the theory. You need to know the basics inside and out before you try and tackle the more difficult topics like Redox or Organic Chemistry. Pay attention during experiments and note the special considerations of each.
    Business:The course may be huge but the vast majority of it boils down simply to common sense and good, sound logical thinking. Reading news articles (And even Boards threads) on the economy e.t.c. will be very useful for questions on the International and Domestic environment, especially when it comes to giving examples. As for the exam itself you need to keep a few things in mind. You will almost certainly be stuck for time. There literally isn't a second to stop and think in the exam, you need to write high quality answers in as little time as possible. Another point to mention is the marking, it's very erratic to say the least. A good rule of thumb is five marks per point. I.e. if a question is worth 30 marks they're looking for around six developed points. By developed I mean stated, explained and exemplified. This all boils down to exam technique and the only way to practice exam technique is to practice previous exam papers.
    Engineering:The theory is lovely and i'd recommend this site for studying the theory. The project needs to be tackled as quickly as possible following its release. Don't leave anything until the last minute as the deadline usually is around the time of your Mocks and oral exams. Practical advice for the project would be to aim to have your entire brief complete by Mid-November. Use Solidworks to design your project and be mindful of practical concerns during the design process. If you need to make an alteration to your design include the alteration in your brief as that will impress the examiner. Aim to have your brief and project looking as neat as possible. Polish any metallic parts and flame-polish all plastic parts after assembly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

STUDY FOR JESUS MARY AND JOSEPH SAKE!!!!

*takes a deep breath, calms down*

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Do all your homework (plus extra) from the start of the year, focus on past papers and know each one inside-out. You wont need a whole lot of study outside this then till the dreaded last-minute cramming (which has a much worse reputation than it deserves!)

Also ive watched my friends part with thousands of euros on grinds, revision courses and foreign trips while i havent spent a red cent on anything other than books, dont believe the hype - its all bout what you want to put in yourself in terms of effort and not money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Ok, I have repeated this story over a 100 times on boards. I'll repeat it again.
    I did the leaving cert in 2009, had my heart on biotechnology in DCU. Did the leaving cert worked my arse off by taking on an extra subject outside of school hours and came out with 325 points, more than 100 points under what I needed. I got no offers the following Monday.

I looked a my options, searched the internet/asked the guidance counselor on ways on getting into the course. I found one online, one year PLC course. I did the course and I made a load of new friends and believe I have matured. I did that and now I shall be attending my dream course this September.

When I think about, I'm glad I didn't get enough points. Life has a way of working itself out, r3nu4l having the perfect example.

I laugh about my leaving cert result when I look back on it and how worked up I got about it. Believe it or not, believe it or not it's not the end of the world.

If really want a particular course, you will get it. One way or the other.

Please enjoy your night, try to forget about. When CAO offers come out, think and look at your options where it be repeating or a PLC. You don't have to accept anything straight away.

If any incoming 6th years read this, please keep all your options open. Apply to all PLC courses related to your dream course, you don't have to pay for anything if get the points you need. Applying to these will give a back option just in case you don't get the result. That's the best advice I can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I know that everyone is different, but I would have killed for this bit of help last year.

I have a three step program which was my bible. It'll sound repetitive and stupid but it HAS TO BE YOUR BIBLE.

1. Do after school study. Study the whole time you're there except for a few short breaks.

2. When you get home, eat your dinner and study. The quicker you eat, the more you get done.

3. Go down and turn off for the night. Turn on the tv and relax. Five minutes into the show, tear yourself away from it and do another hour study. This gives you the determination.

That's it. Do that every day. Study as much as you can. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Fbjm wrote: »
    3. Go down and turn off for the night. Turn on the tv and relax. Five minutes into the show, tear yourself away from it and do another hour study. This gives you the determination.
    ...Whut? So you sit down to relax for 5 minutes (after wolfing down your dinner, of course), watch the start of a programme...and then go back to studying? :confused:

• Advertisement

Fbjm wrote: »
    I know that everyone is different, but I would have killed for this bit of help last year.

I have a three step program which was my bible. It'll sound repetitive and stupid but it HAS TO BE YOUR BIBLE.

1. Do after school study. Study the whole time you're there except for a few short breaks.

2. When you get home, eat your dinner and study. The quicker you eat, the more you get done.

That's it. Do that every day. Study as much as you can. Good luck :)
    I dunno. That'd just piss me off rather than make me more determined.

As an aside, if you want a great tip there's no such thing as an "hour of study". Study isn't measured in hours. It's measured in objectives fulfilled. I can spend ten hours and end up achieving nothing or I can spend one hour and achieve a great deal. Keep that in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i think i can consider myself old LC as having completed 20 years ago
    chill the f*cking axe out!
    it's not as important as you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭chrissb7

All this talk about study is important but don't forget to refine the information you need i.e not remembering pointless reams of information.

Technique for exams is important.I can't stress this enough,so practice it and get it marked by your teacher.You can have time to think in the exam,what gets people is the time in heavy writing subjects such as english.Practice writing fast and you'll have time to think.No one likes to read a pile of dirt.

As for the study thing don't listen to anyone about their methods.Weak subjects come first always.Don't listen to people go on about how long they studied,for all you know they could've spent 4 hours writing an english essay,hardly productive.I'm not going to tell you to eat right or excercise regularly cause honestly not many young adults do that.Do what makes you happy outside of studying.Whether it's going out and letting loose or staying at home and brainfarting on facebook.

Now what I think is the most essential.The end of the year is key.DO NOT listen to the irish times or anything like that or 2fm or whatever! they're all talking out of their you know what.When you do get stressed (it will happen now matter how zack morris you are) don't fret these exams do not define your life in anyway.Cramming works don't listen to anyone (we've all seen the success stories).Cramming works if you know what information you need to know and that you can cover it in time.

Cut out the crap.Don't think its grand to start studying in january or its fine to do homework as study.Yeah you may/will slack off some days or weeks its human nature but don't let weeks turn into months.

On the level speaking as a repeat who did nothing the last time round i'll say for the social scene its drink.I know you're all going to have great nights out and most of you are fresh faced 18 year olds or soon to be 18 year olds.Just don't let yourself be enveloped in that scene of drinking and going out every weekend.I was 20 repeating and came back 2 years after my last l.c to repeat and saw 18 year olds talk about how trashed they got over the weekend and how its so "hilarous" how much they're going to fail a test or the leaving.I was once one of them.I'm not trying to give you a horror story but just a realisation that work has to dominate play.

Overall as 6th years you'll have a blast!!! Do the work have the fun and then live the life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aingel

Whats important is working the system. The books can have an awful lot of waffle so I downloaded the syllabus for each subject and made out my own notes using the book and notes my teacher gave me but sticking to what the syllabus says. Its what the questions are asked from so its a no brainer really. In biology this year some people were thrown by a question about who discovered the cohesion tension theory in plants but the syllabus says specifically "refer to the work of dixon and joly" which is something that if I saw in the book I'd have dismissed as one of those pieces of interesting but un-necessary information. It also gives you things like where my teacher (absolutely useless ) gave us reams of examples for different topics the syllabus just says any two examples or whatever. Its also a really handy way of going back and making sure you've studied everything.
    http://www.curriculumonline.ie/en/Post-Primary_Curriculum/Senior_Cycle_Curriculum/Leaving_Certificate_Established/

It only works for some subjects to be fair though. I only used it for home ec and biology but for those subjects it was invaluable

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Skerries wrote: »
    i think i can consider myself old LC as having completed 20 years ago
    chill the f*cking axe out!
    it's not as important as you think

Heathen!

But seriously, PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS and do ALL of your homework. Honest to god, you will get very far on that alone. And from the start of the year I would spend to nights a week doing half an hour of french/Irish listening. That's where I'm going to drop my A and I did listening every second night from easter : (

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Book your 6th year holiday early in September for the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

Exam papers should a leaving cert student's Bible for the 9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Make out notes as you're going along, and file them away in a folder so that you always know where they are. A good filing system is essential. Organisation will prevent you from wasting time looking for stuff, when you could be studying it.

It also makes it easier to toss it all out at the end of the year if it's all together:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Make out notes as you're going along, and file them away in a folder so that you always know where they are. A good filing system is essential. Organisation will prevent you from wasting time looking for stuff, when you could be studying it.

It also makes it easier to toss it all out at the end of the year if it's all together:pac:

:p Agree completely! Took me days organise notes to give to suffering future LC friends and what to toss.

CHOOSING SUBJECTS

Don't pick them randomly! Don't pick them cos your friends picked them. Ask people who did the subject - if they are simular to you in interests and talent in that subject, even better. I so regret taking History. Interesting okay, but I just got sick of learning it all, and getting hand cramps.

In the end, you need them for matriculation and points, so pick subjects you know you'll succeed at. If you like something and you know you're just going to really struggle in the exam, just drop it and don't waste your time in 5th year, imo.

STUDYING

yesman2000 is right Exam papers! Just(!) do every past question in every subject! I realise now your opinion probably only matters in English. It's all regurgitation in almost every other subject.
    It's very, very comforting to see a question and to laugh, because you're so sick of writing it out. You will know this will be the last time, ever, ever, ever!

Learn definitions off word-for-word! I use mind maps and associating it with stories and stuff like that works the best.

Don't believe the 'I study 16 hours a night' or whatever. It's better to do your hw and learn a few definitions/short questions off pat each night (even from fifth year) then they won't be creeping up to you later and you'll have learnt something meaningful w/o killing yourself (No, I didn't do that. Oh well).

Put a question/definition and answers on one side of a flashcard with some sort of mindmap or picture or whatever reminds you of the question on the back. Then carry them around in your schoolbag or handbag or whatever and read them as much as you can. If family are around, you're studying, not ignoring them! Wahey! Also, great for free classes or any other pointless class where you do nothing anyway (by that I mean Career Guidance.)

I wish I did this more, it really was helpful for the French Oral.

THE EXAM

Of course things that have never came up before could come up, but honestly, exam papers are the best grounding ever. Don't go into an exam having no idea about the exam's layout and timing! I had Home Ec. down the last second (I tweaked the times the teacher suggested, giving myself less time on my best question and more on my worst), and I was the only person who finished! *phew, it was close*

Attempt everything! GAAAAH don't leave an exam early even if its Ordinary Irish and you're the only pass person in there writing a terrible letter in broken Irish. Better to do that and perhaps lose the 4 marks that might just get you the grade you want (in my case, D3 ;) ). I couldn't understand why people left an exam early! Don't do that!? Murphy's Law if you'll do crap and in that subject and end up repeating and that's what I call a waste of time!

At the very least TRY every question you have to do.

And take the paper. All investigators hate me because I am the ultimate paper hog. Sometimes I do one question on each bit of paper. My handwriting is DIRE so it wouldn't be readable if I didn't spread it out and skip a line between paragraphs. Don't feel you have to cram every bit into the one booklet and ignore the dirty looks on your fifth handout, it's not doing them any harm!

Also I like to writing before each question in capitals and in blue, nice and big: 'Section X, Question 2, Attempt 1' or whatever. Particularly if you do the questions in some random order (as I do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Don't follow stupid study skills advice... you know what's best for you and you know if you're working. If you find yourself doing nothing just start doing it. Read a chapter, make notes, answer practice questions. And don't freak out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Some random whatever pops into my head advice below:
    Choose subjects for points and points alone. Choose a foreign language because it is always best to keep your options open and choose a science subject.
    Choose subjects that compliment each other e.g good pairs are ag. science and biology, business and economics. And if you are a guy, do engineering. My reason for this is that there is a low standard for that subject, seriously all the wasters do it and because of this it is easy to get on well in it.
    Construction is also an easy subject to get on well in if you have any bit of common sense. About 45% of it done before the main exam. Do a good project ( INCLUDING A GOOD FOLDER!) and work your ass off in the practical exam and you will do well and for god sake learn how to do the damn u-value question, it's guaranteed and simple!

Concentrate on honours subjects because pass is a waste of time. It is nearly impossible to get an A1 in pass, dont think that you will get it.
    Dropping to pass? I know that there is a new maths course in now so I am basing the following on the old course: Unless you will need a HC3 or something like that in maths for college then drop to pass maths unless you want to prove to yourself you can pass it or something. Trust me, I have done honours maths, the time required is not proportional to the reward. Doing good in 5 other subjects and just passing maths is better than doing great in maths and bad in the others.

Some notes on subjects:
    Maths: Read above, best advice is to do pass. A is impossible in HL, A is handy in OL
    Irish: Real waste of time, boring, irrelevant and you wont use it in the future. OL is ridiculously simple
    English: Very hard to get an A. With some work you can easily get a C or D in HL. Worth doing HL.
    Physics: A is very hard due to strict marking scheme, but I found it to be very interesting.
    Ag Science: Very unpredictable exam. Useful subject though. Massive ag industry in ireland. Works well with biology.
    Economics: Very interesting, current, useful. Very hard to get A because although the exam is predictable but there is a high standard with candidates.
    French: OL is ridiculously simple. HL is quite easy aswell once you know the basics inside and out.
    Business:Very very easy to get on good in HL, Works well with economics.
    Accounting: Easy for an A.

And yeah yeah I know there are some sweeping generalisations above but I am basing the above on first hand experience. Some people might say "OMG you said xyz is easy but I did xyz and it is very hard!" yeah yeah, get over it.

If you want subjects for points which is why you are doing the leaving cert ( yes? :P )
    Avoid: Physics, Ag science, Maths
    Do: Business, accounting, geography, french, engineering.

And if you have the option and interest in the economy then i'd encourage you to do economics, brilliant subject that really makes you think in the exam! :)

Good luck and remember it's only another test, and for this test you can always try it again! ;)

Liveit wrote: »
    Engineering...My reason for this is that there is a low standard for that subject, seriously all the wasters do it and because of this it is easy to get on well in it.
    +1

Very true. The subject seems to have more than its fair share of wasters alright. If you are in anyway interested in design or working with metals/plastics and electronics then you'll fly through Engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Do your homework. DO your homework. Not just quickly getting it over with, actively engaging with it and learning from it. You won't believe how much comes back to you from homework assignments when you look back on the weeks before the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Call Me Lia

Awesome advice everybody! Thanks to you all :) Im doing my leaving cert next year (2012) and, can I just ask whether anybody started studying the summer after 5th year? And if so what exactly did you do and was it beneficial? I know some people will say it's a bad idea to start then because you'll tire out but I'm aiming for high points and am trying to do it anyway so :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Liveit wrote: »
    Choose subjects for points and points alone.

Education isn't about points, it's about learning stuff. Choose subjects based on what you want to learn about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

No matter how well you do in the mocks, you still need to bloody study. Don't get complacent. Just because something came up last year doesn't mean it won't again.
    If you're doing higher maths, don't speculate on what might come up, learn your books cover-to-cover if you want to be sure of getting an A. If you feel higher maths is sponging up all your time, drop down if you don't need it. If you do need it, crank up your study time.

Awesome advice everybody! Thanks to you all :) Im doing my leaving cert next year (2012) and, can I just ask whether anybody started studying the summer after 5th year? And if so what exactly did you do and was it beneficial? I know some people will say it's a bad idea to start then because you'll tire out but I'm aiming for high points and am trying to do it anyway so :P.
    No, enjoy your summer. It's your last proper break before the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

My message is quite simple.

when studying, study as if the exam is tomorrow. do so topic by topic, not hour by hour.

your monday evening study plan should not entail:

bio

eco

maths

(1hr of each)

it should read:

excretory system

inflation

the factor theorem.

Do not just spend an hour making lovely neat notes on the excretory system, in an array of pretty colours. A blank A4 sheet. short, snappy, to the point.1 COLOUR. including any and all necessary diagrammes.

Go to the papers. DO ALL questions that have ever come up on the excretory system. They're indexed nicely at the beginning of the papers. Do them with the aid of your prepared notes. Biology papers can be tricky. Correct with the aid of exam papers.

Voila. You have compiled effective notes on the excretory system. Staple your notes and newly done questions together, into a folder. repeat for lymphatic system. genetics. the scientific method. Do the same for the experiments.

do not confine yourself by time.

Do not make a list of the hours you want to do in a week, make a list of the topics.

when actually studying, do not feel the need to have a dramatic pattern, I'd always love to set myself up for a triumph, starting on a monday, on the first of a month, etc. Id soon convinve myself to start on the tuesday, making my plan on the monday and starting on the tuesday.

If you come home, on a thursdsy evening, in the middle of october, with a desire to study, pick a topic, and study it, do not feel the need to make dramatic perfect plans. Theyre time consuming to make over and over again. & its so disheartening when you fail to meet your targets in them.

I'll give a subject by subject account of what I've found effective for my subjects:

English: COMPOSITION- Practice during the year. Your timing initially will be awful. It'll take you 12hours to write an essay. Do not be disheartened. It will improve. More important; READ, not just the Irish Times or whatever other high-brow alternative. READ NOVELS. Doesn't matter if you're not intending to write the short story. READ NOVELS.

Comprehension- Practice. :) very simple. Know 4features of each language style, and the purpose of each style. How it's effective.

HAMLET - Detailed knowledge of text. Good quotes, answer question asked. cover all your bases, prepare notes on the characters, themes, and style. Quotes should not be general, but selected with reference to a specific possible answer topic.

COMPARATIVE - not in a position to give advice. Fecking hate them. Short snappy yet astute and developed comparisions. Riddled with constant comparison. Mindfulness of question.

POETRY - sort points into thematic & stylistic, Cover 3 at least. 3likely ones. Have 4theme points, 4 style ones. Be mindful of the question on the day. Easy. :)

IRISH - I'm fluent, born and raised in west kerry. What's important, detailed knowledge of everything. The small facts are paramount. Not just the general idea. Ie, in LSIG, MOM walks through the college gtes, of bac, at 3pm, easter thursday.

MATHS - topic by topic. lovely to study. first evening of trig, work from the book, then do the papers. know any theorems that you ahould know. :) etc

FRENCH - for some reason I've never really had to study, comes naturally to me, and one of my best subjects. When tackling nasty comprehensions, dont give up, buy a good dictionary. Use it. You'll get there. Buy a cheap notebook. Record all new vocab there. Try to think in French. When you're at home, in the kitchen, spout a few sentences. :)

Bio- I covered above. :)

ECO - STUDY BY THE MARKING SCHEMES. SIMPLE. Your learning the assumptions of the LDMU from your book? STOP. Find a question asking them in the papers. Get the marking scheme, learn from there. COVER AS MUCH OF THE COURSE AS YOU CAN. Do not leave out wide sections.

BUSINESS. - Bleh. Know the stuff. Do exam questions, timing is paramount in this exam. Learn to make yourself move on. For long q's and ABQ, divide marks by 5 for number of points. Poin has to be stated and developed. Be mindful of the question word. Just know the stuff. From doing questions, you know whats important. THIS IS NB: studying for business in the month of May. Go through your book, the entire 400pages. Make a list of everything you dont know. In June a question could read: A)Discuss sale of goods act, B)Skills of entrepreneur, C)STEPS IN TIME MANAGEMENT. BAM. 20marks gone if you dont know that random quarter of a page, in an otherwise lovely question. Know the nitty gritty bits.

Finally, the LC is a marathon, not a sprint, even so, starting early is important. :) as i said, it doesnt have to be a onday the first of a month. Wednesday works just aswell.

Best of luck yall. :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Live for the weekends. Make a real effort with study during the week, but go out on the lush as many weekends as humanly possible :) 6th year was actually my favourite year, most people have copped on and matured a bit and they're actually serious about where they're heading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement