Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry level off the shelf server ?

• 01-07-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

I have three laptops at home, windows 7 and XP, manual backing up to external drives.

recommendations on ENTRY level home server for:
    storage,
    auto back-up
    easy to use media serving (streaming?) to nearby tv, entertainment

note i am time and patience poor for and any optimisation etc.
    want plug and play
    want easy to use out of the box
    < 1 Tb data

thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The buffalo linkstation duo is ok. It supports DNLA for streaming to compatible TVs and set-top boxes, and Raid 1, to cope when one disk fails.

If your wireless router has a network port free, you can connect this device, and run the installer. It's fairly simple, and backup software is supplied.

What / whether streaming is supported by your TV is another bag of worms, and a question for a different forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

You are probably best off going with a NAS box than a dedicated server for the above requirements.

I am currently looking at something like a QNAP TS-210/212 for what I am planning on

http://www.qnap.com/USEng/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=192

Advertisement