Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Carolans Concerto

• 01-07-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

What type of tune is O Carolans Concerto? Can you play it in the Fleadh solo competitions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I'd probably classify it as a planxty and no, don't play it in a competition at the fleadh. Stick to proper dance tunes - jig, reel, or hornpipe are the most common choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

According to the "experts" over on thesession.org it's a reel but they may have notated it that way because it's in 4/4 time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

It's a Carolan tune, an Irish art tune composed for the harp not a dance or a planxty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Isn't it a concerto? I read (probably in O'Sullivan's book) that he composed it in the manner of Italian music of that type.

The Session website slots all tunes into jig, reel, hornpipe as their software is configured to interpret timings that way and so should be disregarded.

Strangely, some British Army regiment have made it into a march.

Personally, I prefer it played sedately rather than at race speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The Irish Army have done it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51dBW8NIeWY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

trad wrote: »
    According to the "experts" over on thesession.org it's a reel but they may have notated it that way because it's in 4/4 time.

they know all!!!!

.....sorry i meant f*** all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

This seems like a very common tune to be playing in a fleadh competition no? I don't know I'm not involved with these things.

Advertisement