Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venues to rent for small club night?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all, well I'll be moving to Galway shortly and I've been thinking of running a small clubnight in the town somewhere. Techno, house, disco etc.
    Now, I've lived in Galway before and I know theres not a whole pile of venues around the city so I was thinking maybe theres a pub that would give you a friday or a saturday night to run the night monthly? I think Galway is really missing a decent techno night. Anyway, I'd like to hear any recommendations you might have, Thanks,
    Danny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

An Pucan upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Pucan's gone, much like everywhere else.
    Only places letting promoters in are Monroe's and possibly Kelly's, neither are ideally what your after (imo anyway)

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

op trust me when I tell you Galway might be missing a decent techno (or whatever) night but it doesn't need it. I'm a DJ myself and a mate has been going around town tryin to get a venue for an extra special dance event he's got planned and even with a little guidance/advice from ms along the way he's still fighting a losing battle. safe yourself the bother/stress cos at the end of the day there will be so many factors working against you, bad venue owner who's only thinking monies, bad promoter who's only thinking of his own position, bad dates clashing with 20 different festivals/sessions/other clubnights around the country and if you do put a gig on it's all been done many times and the same handful of people are all you'll get for support. it will break your spirit and your pockets paying everything along the way.

best of luck with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What about De Burgos on Augustine St? Doesnt open as a regular pub anymore but i have seen it being used recently a couple of times for events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

You could ask the gpo or whatever it's called now bout the drum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

celler downstairs is open again i think

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    An Pucan upstairs

Closed. Lack of fire-escapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

What about De Burgos on Augustine St? Doesnt open as a regular pub anymore but i have seen it being used recently a couple of times for events.

I don't know the accuracy of what I'm about to say, but I've heard that De Burgos can't open as a club due to objections by local residents about noise etc. Citog used to run there on Friday nights while the Cellar was closed, but they couldn't stay open as a late bar because of this. Thing used to end about the 12-12:30 mark. And saying that, most of the acts at Citog were acoustic-based and the crowd was fairly tame, just there to listen to the music. A techno night would have a larger crowd, and you cannot just have techno music quietly in the background. You need somewhere you can just turn the bass up and the crowd can dance away to their hearts' content

Davyhal wrote: »
    I don't know the accuracy of what I'm about to say, but I've heard that De Burgos can't open as a club due to objections by local residents about noise etc. Citog used to run there on Friday nights while the Cellar was closed, but they couldn't stay open as a late bar because of this. Thing used to end about the 12-12:30 mark. And saying that, most of the acts at Citog were acoustic-based and the crowd was fairly tame, just there to listen to the music. A techno night would have a larger crowd, and you cannot just have techno music quietly in the background. You need somewhere you can just turn the bass up and the crowd can dance away to their hearts' content

As far as I remember, the residents complained about noise and then got the fire inspectors in, who ruled that it was too dangerous to have more than a small number of people in there at any given time.

Yeah, the Cellar downstairs is open again thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Yeah I'm glad that the Cellar is open again, and that Citog is back in its proper home, but to be honest, I would trade it all to have my beloved Bar903 back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Aras na Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Do_Lers

Its mad to think the Black Box is just sitting there idle,its a great venue.

Ive had brilliant nights there over the years.

The city council owns it I think, I don't know why its not used for club nights anymore. If they rented it out at a reasonable rate there could be club nights/techno/whatever every weekend. They could make a bomb!

Its not in a residential area so noise pollution wouldn't be a problem.

Seems like the perfect 'golden goose' for the corporation but is not being utilised?

Must be more to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

Dont know if its of any help to you but the office bar in salthill (the holiday) has a room at the back that i think they give out for stuff like that - might be worth checking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Do_Lers wrote: »
    Its mad to think the Black Box is just sitting there idle,its a great venue.

Ive had brilliant nights there over the years.

The city council owns it I think, I don't know why its not used for club nights anymore. If they rented it out at a reasonable rate there could be club nights/techno/whatever every weekend. They could make a bomb!

Its not in a residential area so noise pollution wouldn't be a problem.

Seems like the perfect 'golden goose' for the corporation but is not being utilised?

Must be more to it....

I can see the white Honda Civics now, windows down blaring out scooter, reving there engines up and down the black box car park. Large night clubs generally atract scum in my experiance. If it dose get used more all well and good, I wont be there though!

Speaking of un-used venues, the Radison! Ya they have noise concerns with there guests and what not but there was an end of year NUIG night there a couple of months back! Given a quite time of year, mid week, I'd say they would be happy to open it up now and again concidering that the hotel biz. aint what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Magnos

how about the library (bodkins) thats only used during the college yr and only durin week days. distance from town might be bad tho

kudos to the library and the radiason getting a mention, I can see the small club night now running in a hugely expensive live venue or so far out of town nobody will show up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I can see the white Honda Civics now, windows down blaring out scooter, reving there engines up and down the black box car park. Large night clubs generally atract scum in my experiance. If it dose get used more all well and good, I wont be there though!

In fairness outstageous used run in the Blackbox with little or no hassle. Well until the cops had issue with a stage show.

I also remember a full weekend event way back (Blu Peter & Mrs Woods and some other big names) which went off pretty ok as well.

It is a good venue and it is a crying shame its not used more often.

kayos wrote: »
    In fairness outstageous used run in the Blackbox with little or no hassle. Well until the cops had issue with a stage show.

I also remember a full weekend event way back (Blu Peter & Mrs Woods and some other big names) which went off pretty ok as well.

It is a good venue and it is a crying shame its not used more often.

it's not wanted and will be opposed at even given opportunity! I was talking to one of the organisers of blu Peter recently and his memory of the night conflicts with your report there.

the black box would be a huge failure now for gigs! was tough enough 2/3 years ago to make it worth a lads while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭SamuelFox

What about the Vic Hotel off Eyre Sq? Years ago it was used for lots of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the organisers of blu Peter recently and his memory of the night conflicts with your report there.

I do remember one night having a bit of hassle outside afterwards but for the most part the 3 nights were grand as I recall. But hey I could have missed something. I did a few bits and bobs for that weekender

• Advertisement
Advertisement