Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winslow Terrace, Terenure Road

Options
  • 01-07-2011 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going through one of my Kunta Kinte phases at the moment and I'm looking for my Great Grandfather's house - 3 Winslow Terrace off Terenure Road. Anybody know of it? Does the terrace still exist? Has the terrace been demolished or renamed? It's not on Google maps or in my Dublin Street guide. I need a fairly accurate description of how to find it. Please - anybody?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

do you know whether its off terenure road east, west, north or south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Not a clue I'm afraid I just came across it on a copy birth certificate tonight and 3 Winslow Terrace, Terenure Road was all it said. The original birth cert was from 1881.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think i found it. i looked at the historic map on osi and although its not marked it showed terenure road east towards rathgar.

see here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its certainly not in my Thoms Directory from 1969..maybe renamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I realise this is an old thread, but I saw this when out with the camera.

[EDIT] Better photo added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I can't make out a word of that.

Where is it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ah ha, it is here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3110322,-6.2790561,3a,75y,114.13h,65.83t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sTYGspWg5gBsMdGLApLqrMg!2e0

The red houses beside the house with the yellow door are Winslow Terrace. According to the OSI historical maps anyway:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714582,730299,7,9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Those houses are right opposite Tower avenue, which I live just off. I can have a snoop around if you want and get info, there is a man who has written books on the area but his name escapes me now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm just looking for No.3. and at least now I have the right place to look on my next visit to the 'Big Smoke'. Thanks everybody for throwing some light on this for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can't make out a word of that.
    Ooops, I didn't realise that copy was so poor. It says "Winslow Terrace".

324277.JPG
    I'm just looking for No.3.
    I think it's just the 4 houses. A Google search throws up a business at "4 Winslow Terrace 55 Terenure Road East" and a reference to number 1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement