Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help needed translating Irish to English!

• 01-07-2011 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Sorry for the lame post but I'm trying to read an Irish Roddy Doyle book to get better at Irish and I'm having trouble. It's not as easy as looking up the meanings of words.

What does "Baineann sé le fir agus peil agus ólachán. Caithfidh go bhfuil sé fíor mar sin" mean D:?

Baineann apparently means extract or cut. Ólachan I can't find. I know the last sentence's words but not what they mean together. They will spend that is true because of this? I have no idea how it translates.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

It's linked to men and football and drinking. It must be true so.

I think...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Google Translate sometimes comes in handy :P

Says it means:

"It's about men and football and drinking. It must be true so"

Or if baineann is extract then, "it's" = "the extract's"
    olachan is definately to do with drink, hence the ol bit :P never seen that word used before tho! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Fr33thinker

Google Translate sometimes comes in handy

I did not know of this Godly resource o.o

Thank you both!

Looks like Caithfidh can mean "must" then. It's a good phrase to have, anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

What does "Baineann sé le fir agus peil agus ólachán. Caithfidh go bhfuil sé fíor mar sin" mean D:?

It means "It relates to men and football and drinking. It has to be true so."

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

"It's to do with men, football and drinking - it must be true so!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Looks like Caithfidh can mean "must" then. It's a good phrase to have, anyway.

It's a great multi-tasker: Caithfidh sé = He/it has to be; he will wear/spend/throw/smoke

Advertisement