Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RPSI awarded railway operation certificate

• 01-07-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭

This came through via the RPSI members mail shot today; excellent news for all concerned :)

Statement From The Railway Safety Commission (1/7/2011)

I am pleased to inform you that the RPSI has been successful in its application and has today (1st July 2011) become one of a small number of heritage railway operators to obtain Safety Certification confirming that their SMS conforms to European railway safety requirements.

This is significant in the overall context of railway safety in Ireland, as it demonstrates that the RPSI has in place processes and procedures to ensure that they do not introduce any additional risk whilst operating on the Iarnród Éireann infrastructure.

The RPSI are to be congratulated on the effort that they have put into developing and implementing their new SMS.

Kind regards,

Gerald Beesley, BSc, CEng, FIMechE, FIEI
    Commissioner

Railway Safety Commission
    Trident House
    Blackrock
    Co. Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Good news

They now also have to double head all trains too don't they, to ensure reliability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Good news

They now also have to double head all trains too don't they, to ensure reliability?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

With the low amount of steam drivers these days doubleheading would be impractical. It's likely that the small GMs would be run in pairs but it's not a safety issue.

hmmm... I thought I had heard something about that.

Good that it's not a requirement so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Drimnagh Road

The RPSI's Dublin season starts off with a vintage diesel run to a mystery destination on Saturday July 23rd using the 1960s Cravens set.

Departure from Connolly station at 10:30, back in Dublin for 18:05.

Adults €40, concession €30

Price includes complimentary tea / coffee.

Tickets from Pearse Station, EBS Drumcondra / Malahide / Dun Laoghaire or through the booking form, here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well done RPSI....come down here soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The RPSI's Dublin season starts off with a vintage diesel run to a mystery destination on Saturday July 23rd using the 1960s Cravens set.

Departure from Connolly station at 10:30, back in Dublin for 18:05.

Adults €40, concession €30

Price includes complimentary tea / coffee.

Tickets from Pearse Station, EBS Drumcondra / Malahide / Dun Laoghaire or through the booking form, here
    I presume this will be their double headed 141's, asking for an A commissioned from ITG would be too much. :p

It will be hauled by an IÉ GM, probably an 071 class. Strange to think that back in the heyday of "Mystery Trains" the Cravens would have been relatively new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Niles wrote: »
    It will be hauled by an IÉ GM, probably an 071 class. Strange to think that back in the heyday of "Mystery Trains" the Cravens would have been relatively new.

And they certainly wouldn't have been seen on a "Mystery" train - these usually consisted of laminateds, side-corridors and anything else that could be found. In latter years the only mystery was - why did CIE keep running them? I was on a six bogie one to Portlaoise for the Stradbally Steam Rally back in the early 1980s and if there were 20 people on it, that was the height of it.

can't be that mysterious, only so many places the train goes these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

Hi All,

Does anyone know anything about this mystery tour? I know it's a "mystery" so you're not technically supposed to know anything but I'm just wondering does anyone have any idea what would be involved? Would there by any music/entertainment? Will it stop for a while in a certain destination? It's 40e so I'd just like to know something before splashing out!

Also, please forgive the ignorant question :o but since this is a diesel train - does that mean that it's not like a steam train? i.e. it's not a "puff puff" or does it still seem the same/make the same sound?

I've been on the santa steam trains and they're great so I'm just wondering is it anything similar.

Thanks

Winnie21 wrote: »
    Also, please forgive the ignorant question :o but since this is a diesel train - does that mean that it's not like a steam train? i.e. it's not a "puff puff" or does it still seem the same/make the same sound?

it'll sound like a tractor :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hi All,

Does anyone know anything about this mystery tour? I know it's a "mystery" so you're not technically supposed to know anything but I'm just wondering does anyone have any idea what would be involved? Would there by any music/entertainment? Will it stop for a while in a certain destination? It's 40e so I'd just like to know something before splashing out!

I've been on the santa steam trains and they're great so I'm just wondering is it anything similar.

Thanks

All RPSI trips have a full bar and a canteen that makes fresh sandwiches to order. There is always the on board band who lead a decent auld sing song throughout the trip and plenty of crack besides so don't worry, you won't get too bored.

And sure if you do get bored, you can always play I Spy with your fellow passengers :D

Hi All,

Thanks

The train will be using the same carriages as used on the Santa trains, just hauled by a diesel instead of a steam engine. After arriving at the mystery destination passengers will have a few hours to explore the locality before returning to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Niles wrote: »

A 071 class is to head this train ok, according to an RPSI advertisement placed in yesterday's Irish Times - the weekend review section. Good news for all the 071 fans on Boards and elsewhere. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Hoped to see the 2 x 141s hauling this. No complaints though, it will be good to see an 071 haul passengers again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

One 141 is in whitehead the other inchicore most likely 071 or a 201!
    I'm guessing Carrick on Shannon but that's just a guess

A 071 class is to head this train ok, according to an RPSI advertisement placed in yesterday's Irish Times - the weekend review section. Good news for all the 071 fans on Boards and elsewhere. :D

:):D;) Does a dance around the room in excitement

. Good news for all the 071 fans on Boards and elsewhere. :D

yes, the opportunity to look at fields in the middle of nowhere for a few hours when it invariably breaks down :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

yes, the opportunity to look at fields in the middle of nowhere for a few hours when it invariably breaks down :D

There's always a doom'n'gloom merchant somwhere....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

shamwari wrote: »
    There's always a doom'n'gloom merchant somwhere....:D

yep, usually in a field miles from anywhere

MYSTERY TRAIN

23rd July

Due to the (unavoidable) short notice for this train the Society will accept booking forms by email for collection and payment on the day.

Booking form available here:

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/events/

Send completed form to:

rpsitrains@hotmail.com

Tickets also available from:

Pearse Station, Westland Row
    EBS Offices at Drumcondra, Malahide and Dun Laoghaire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

Its a bit unfortunate that the date of this tour clashes with one organised by another group, booking numbers are bound to suffer as a result.

Its a bit unfortunate that the date of this tour clashes with one organised by another group, booking numbers are bound to suffer as a result.

Can you be more precise for us ex.railway enthusiasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

The IRRS trip to Moyasta.

Well you did ask JD :)

The IRRS trip to Moyasta.

Well you did ask JD :)

IRRS's trip is booked out so no room at the inn for any more ;)

Truth be known, the typical punter who will go on a RPSI trip would be drawn from the general public whereas the IRRS guys are more aimed at the enthusiasts and devoted gricer.

I'll be working on the RPSI one as it happens. And I know where it's going to :D

As do I, I was only going to commit to doing it on the condition I knew where it was going.

I want some decent 071 mileage, and wasn't going to part with 40 quid if it was just going round the corner.

I'm happy enough with the distance.

So that's at least two of you you who are going to miss out on poultry comestibles with Santa. :D

Bring on the Railway Heritage Forum! Please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

So that's at least two of you you who are going to miss out on poultry comestibles with Santa. :D

Banned without warning as per the Charter. See you in 3 days.

The Mystery train on the 23rd of July is now sold out.

The Mystery train on the 23rd of July is now sold out.

Can't wait for this!!! Hope to see you all in
    Cavan via the Picadilly Line
    on Saturday :)

A great run out today for the RSPI Cravens set with stone splitting sun and diesel haulage as well. Oh and one or two posters were on here to say hi as well :) Todays train was sold out, next running day from Dublin will be posted up on their site in due course.

Tickets are now on sale for the Dublin Santa trains in December; booking early is essential for this so get the applications in ASAP.

Advertisement