Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to Aran Islands

Options
  • 02-07-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

I was looking some info regarding heading to Inis Mor. Im planning on heading to Galway nest monday and get the ferry across. Just need some info on the following:

Is there a car park at the ferry port to leave my car for a couple of days?

How long does the Ferry take?

Can anybody recommend a good hotel on Inis Mor?

Any informations is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Is there a car park at the ferry port to leave my car for a couple of days? Yes, just opposite the pier

About 45 minutes

There is only one hotel on Inis Mor called The Aran Islands Hotel http://www.aranislandshotel.com/ it gets mixed reviews. Your other accomodation options are B&B's or hostels. Check here: http://www.goireland.com/galway/bed-and-breakfast-in-Aran-islands-page1.htm?PPC=googlegoireland&gclid=CNPapM2n4akCFYEMfAodknxzZA The Pier House is worth checking out.

Transport options include mini bus, pony and trap, bike hire and walking. A good map to get is Aráinn by Tim Robinson, it has all the boreens marked on it.

Try to get off the beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Is there a car park at the ferry port to leave my car for a couple of days? Yes, just opposite the pier

About 45 minutes

There is only one hotel on Inis Mor called The Aran Islands Hotel http://www.aranislandshotel.com/ it gets mixed reviews. Your other accomodation options are B&B's or hostels. Check here: http://www.goireland.com/galway/bed-and-breakfast-in-Aran-islands-page1.htm?PPC=googlegoireland&gclid=CNPapM2n4akCFYEMfAodknxzZA The Pier House is worth checking out.

Transport options include mini bus, pony and trap, bike hire and walking. A good map to get is Aráinn by Tim Robinson, it has all the boreens marked on it.

Try to get off the beaten track.

Thank-You you're a star!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Can you bring your own bicycles on the ferry thus avoiding having to rent a bike on the island?

rco2000 wrote: »
    Can you bring your own bicycles on the ferry thus avoiding having to rent a bike on the island?

I really don't know whether you can do this now, I know about 10 years ago it was ok. Bike rental is only €10

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

dont think you can, we went out there last year , the boat was full with buggies , bags. people of course but not one bike. but bring tools to fix bikes cos we saw loads of people walking back with broken bikes while we were in hiace van on tour, so glad we didnt go with bike idea. try to be in first of que for the bike;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

I know when going to 'Bofin, they charge extra on the boat if you bring your own bike. Don't know the situation about going to Aran. It is worth bringing the bike if you are going for a few days as opposed to just one or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sadiemandaemz

Howdy :) Just wondering what is the story with the camping facilities?? Is Inis Oirr or Inis Mhor better?? Price? Shower facitilies? NIGHTLIFE??? ;)

I know there is a camping site on Inis Mor, not sure about Inis Oirr but I'm sure there is. The one on Inis Mor is very basic, just a field with a block for toilets and cold showers.

Night life centres around the pubs in the village, there are no nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

inis oirr camp site looks nice , right behind the sand dunes so 30 secs from beach if even, toilets & showers there too...5 mins walk to pub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hire a bike - It is almost level roads and a lovely journey to cycle .

You might meet a few animals , but there will be no need to worry about cars .

Here is the beach :
    DSC01214.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

What's this about loose dogs attacking cyclists on Inis Moir. There was something about it on Galway Bay this morning (Thursday). Cyclists were complaining about being accosted by dogs bearing teeth and didn't feel comfortable. Can't say I blame them. Thought dogs had to be on a leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Just back from spending the day on Inis Mor and rode bikes from one end of the island to the other and back. Only missed the one flat road along the coast marketing the seal colony. We passed multiple dogs on the roads and in yards and not one took any notice of us.

The only bad thing that happened was two of our three bikes jumped the chain multiple times. Twice, in the back of the beyond, I had to un-jam the chain by banging it with rocks. First time I had a poor bike there - and two bad bikes with one rental.

No trouble with any animals though even with having to walk by two large horned goats on the way to the puffing holes. All dogs passed could not care less about us.

Now sitting here nursing my sun burns! (with Whisky!)

Advertisement