Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police sirens/lights flashing, car revs/chase by Lackagh midnight?

Options
  • 02-07-2011 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    At midnight we heard police/ambulance sirens and loads af car/motorbike revving. For about 5 minutes or longer. Out back window I could see flashing lights at the cross roads before Lackagh.

Anyone any idea what was going on?
    Cheers,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Heard the noise, but no idea what was going on.
    Sound wise, suppose it made a change from the boy racers .

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

galwayrush wrote: »
    Heard the noise, but no idea what was going on.
    Sound wise, suppose it made a change from the boy racers .

Seemingly it was the boy racers. all 30 of them I am led to believe. They were doing doughnuts, figure 8s and drifting. They were also having races along the main N63 while their mates blocked either end of the 'race track'. Think they all went off to Corrandulla when they heard that the cops were on their way. What a bunch of young assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

Yes they came towards Corrandulla and done there bit here too! I don't see anything dangerous in what they did all the same!
    dec25532 wrote: »
    What a bunch of young assholes.
    And no, I wouldn't classify people with interests in doing up their cars as "assholes". Some put thousands into their cars and it's their hobby doing this!
    Fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Agreed, assholes. Although I have no real issue with them as long as the taxpayer doesnt have to fund their medical bills when they crash their micras and saxos, or injure normal members of society. Theres one guy in a blue A4 and by god if he doesnt have the gayest little hairdo!

when they crash their micras and saxos
    Not one of them actually has a micra to be honest with you! Give me one example that does!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Yes they came towards Corrandulla and done there bit here too! I don't see anything dangerous in what they did all the same!
    And no, I wouldn't classify people with interests in doing up their cars as "assholes". Some put thousands into their cars and it's their hobby doing this!
    Fair play to them!
    There's a big difference between "doing up your car" and illegally closing off a road (be it late at night or not) and carrying out other illegal manoeuvres e.g doughnuts, drifting which all come under the banner of dangerous driving.

Anyone that doesn't see the difference is an asshole in my mind

There's a big difference between "doing up your car" and illegally closing off a road (be it late at night or not) and carrying out other illegal manoeuvres e.g doughnuts, drifting which all come under the banner of dangerous driving.

Both things are related some what! You obviously wouldn't see somebody coming along with a standard car doing all of these actions would you? Or have you?

I wouldn't really call doing "doughnuts, drifting" dangerous driving when a road is closed off! Not one person has died or caused any accident in the last number of years doing donuts. Do you not think they taught of safety when they blocked off the roads? I suppose you're the type that would like to see them leave the roads open for those 1/2 minutes!

I'd be more worried about people overtaking on white lines, seeding and tailgating etc. than people doing these acts in the night when the roads are a lot lot quiter than in the day time!
    If that what makes you happy! I could turn around and call you a prick just because you're against this but I'm not that type of person unlike others....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cariss1

So OldSchool94, what right does anybody have to close off a PUBLIC road day or night without permission and/or support from the gardai and RSA?
    Especially when it's so a few lads can spin around in circles and wreck their tires just to amuse their peers for a few seconds?
    Wow it must be soooo exciting!!!

What if somebody needs to use that road to say, get home from work in the wee small hours of the morning after a 14hr shift and they get held up while a bunch of eejits try and re-arrange themselves to allow traffic to pass.
    Or someone had to get to hospital urgently?
    If that was me I'd give the guy parked across the road an absolute boll0king and i'd take down every reg I could see.

I lived near Supermacs on the Headford road and the amount of times I'd hear lads revving their engines for all they're worth in the carpark at 2am was unbelivable.
    The times I had to be up at 5.30am for work I was close to blowing a fuse and going down there.
    I just do not understand the attraction.
    Can you logically explain the appeal to me?

As for spending thousands doing up a car to resemble a garish dodgem car that looks like it should be in a fun fair, well each to their own but i'll bet in 5 years time they will be ashamed of throwing so much money into something just to impress their equally deluded mates.

This is a very patronising thing to say but it is the truth.... Ye'll grow out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I have yet to meet an intelligent boy racer.

They're the male equivalent of the Blonde Bimbo, without the corresponding attractiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have yet to meet an intelligent boy racer.

They're the male equivalent of the Blonde Bimbo, without the corresponding attractiveness.

You are way too complimentary to those idiots there, they are way more moronic than any bimbo/ himbo.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Do you not think they taught of safety when they blocked off the roads?

Just out of curiosity ... are there really people standing on the roads stopping traffic while they do their thing ?

... if I were on that road, at night time, in the middle of nowhere and on my own, and a few guys waving me to stop ... I wouldn't ... I only stop for uniforms :p
    What'd happen then ? ...

V

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Both things are related some what! You obviously wouldn't see somebody coming along with a standard car doing all of these actions would you? Or have you?

I wouldn't really call doing "doughnuts, drifting" dangerous driving when a road is closed off! Not one person has died or caused any accident in the last number of years doing donuts. Do you not think they taught of safety when they blocked off the roads? I suppose you're the type that would like to see them leave the roads open for those 1/2 minutes!

I'd be more worried about people overtaking on white lines, seeding and tailgating etc. than people doing these acts in the night when the roads are a lot lot quiter than in the day time!

If that what makes you happy! I could turn around and call you a prick just because you're against this but I'm not that type of person unlike others....

Firstly its the upholders of the law (cops) that decide whether these would manoeuvres would be classed as dangerous driving, what do you think they would say. A crime is a crime regardless of whether you get caught or not

Secondly you could call me a prick if I went around advocating the breaking of numerous laws and driving dangerously which I am not doing here and if I was I would have no problems with that. It seems to just be clowns like yourself that are condoning this and other posters all seem to have the same attitude as I do. Maybe you should ask yourself why most people don't like boy racers when this sort of crap is going on.

I'm saying this as a petrol head myself (2.0 turbo - not a diesel) so I know both sides of this

ValerieR wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity ... are there really people standing on the roads stopping traffic while they do their thing ?

... if I were on that road, at night time, in the middle of nowhere and on my own, and a few guys waving me to stop ... I wouldn't ... I only stop for uniforms :p
    What'd happen then ? ...

V

Mow them down :), survival of the fittest and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

You're surely completely pulling the piss? It's okay for mongs in poxy Civics to block up a national route at night so they can do doughnuts and race eachother? What if an ambulance or fire brigade have to get through to an emergency and they can't because of illegally blocked roads? Build a track for the lot of them out in the middle of nowhere and let them tempt fate there. National roads aren't the place for that kind of sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DecQ

OldSchool, I've no problem with anyone modifying their cars....if that's how you want to spend your dosh you're welcome to do that.
    But if you think theres no harm in performing doughnuts & drifting on a public road,which you illegaly blocked off,then hopefully the shades'll catch up with you & your buddies before too long.
    A spell banned from driving for the lot of you might teach you that it's not your right or anyone's to carry on like that....rest of us pay our tax and insurance too. It's a pity they don't have the power to crush your cars also, then you might have more respect for other road users.
    You mention speeding and overtaking on white lines; you're being very selective on whats ok and not ok. What ye're doing is equally as bad.
    If you want to race,drift, do stunts,whatever, the public road is not the place.

Drive safe now.

Advertisement