Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Home Build: 32 bit or 64 bit?

Options
  • 02-07-2011 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Just thinking of building a computer over the summer when I get a few bob together.

All the college computers are 32 bit systems (Win7). If I build a 64 bit system at home will I have any problems swapping files between the two?

I realise that the compiled code probably won't work if I transfer it from one to the other, but will the source files be okay if transferred from one to the other and then re-compiled? Will the program run?

Anything else I should be aware/wary of?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mostly java btw. A little bit of VB.NET and C#.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Opinicus wrote: »
    I realise that the compiled code probably won't work if I transfer it from one to the other, but will the source files be okay if transferred from one to the other and then re-compiled? Will the program run?

If you're recompiling then there shouldn't be a problem unless you're writing absolutely awful code or using libraries which do this.

On Java (and I believe C#/VB.net) even the latter shouldn't cause any problems, since even your compiled code won't be native code, it'll be compiled to the Virtual Machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Pygmalion wrote: »
    it'll be compiled to the Virtual Machine.

I knew about the JVM, wasn't sure about the others.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

With .Net you can specifically target your compile for x64, this won't then for on x86, but by default the compilation target is generic and compiled code will run on either. Source code will transfer no problem either way.

(unless of course you make reference to or make some native calls to something specifically x64)

Advertisement