Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slanted Shed Roof - Advice

• 02-07-2011 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

There's an old shed in the parents place that was originally 300 sq ft at one point in the back garden) I've torn the roof down and all that remains is a 13ft x 10ft structure that was put up by my father. There's only a temp flat roof on it at the moment though which obviously needs to be taken down and a permanent structure put in place.

He wants to put a slanted roof that slopes into the back garden. What sort of height difference should there be between the two walls that the roof will slant on? I'm guessing 18inchs over 13ft should be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

you need to consider the pitch and what the roof will be constructed from.... e.g. tiles, slates, etc.

Any idea of these??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

AFAIK, anything under 15 degrees of pitch is technically considered a flat roof so any covering should be as per a flat roof. You can calculate the angle easily enough here

[Embedded Image Removed][Embedded Image Removed]

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Cheers for that link.

At the moment the walls are 9ft tall. Is there planning laws that limit the height of the wall which will affect the pitch? I'd like to go with a 4/12 pitch but that would mean building up one of the walls 4 1/2 ft. If we went with a 2/12 we'd only have to add an extra 2ft or so.

Given the relatively small size of the shed 13ftx10ft would a 2/12 pitch be okay or is it advisable to go with a 4/12?

In terms of material to roof with we're planning on putting shingle on top of plywood that's been waterproofed, presume this should be okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If you are going to the trouble of putting a cut roof on the shed I suggest you consider concrete tiles not shingles.

Shingles have a very limited expected life and depend a lot on the underlay used, also they don't look very nice after a few years especially if there are higher trees as the shingles will turn green.

A simpler easier method would be to use a metal tile sheet, these can be insulated and make for a great roof at reasonable cost.

Might be worth looking at this product http://www.skyclad.ie/new/index%20roof.html

Regards,

Pete.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

rooferPete wrote: »
    Hi,

If you are going to the trouble of putting a cut roof on the shed I suggest you consider concrete tiles not shingles.

Shingles have a very limited expected life and depend a lot on the underlay used, also they don't look very nice after a few years especially if there are higher trees as the shingles will turn green.

A simpler easier method would be to use a metal tile sheet, these can be insulated and make for a great roof at reasonable cost.

Might be worth looking at this product http://www.skyclad.ie/new/index%20roof.html

Regards,

Pete.

+1 for Skyclad,They supplied my tile effect roofing for my garage build.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement