Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving notice of moving out

Options
  • 02-07-2011 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Quick question - is it cheeky to give your notice to move out half way through a month e.g. Let's say your rent is due the 7th of the month (as you moved in on the 7th of X). My lease says I can give one month's notice 'on or after the start of the sixth month' i.e. it doesn't say it has to be on the 7th of a given month, or the monthly anniversary etc. So could I give my notice on the 1st and then ask for 5 days rent back before I leave? I know it is only a few days rent but still, especially as I am going to be caught paying double rent for a few weeks as I will be paying rent for my new place as well and can't expect them to hold it for a month.

I know the only person who can answer my question is the letting agent but as it is my first time moving from a rental place, I was not sure if this kind of thing is a total no-no in terms of renting etiquette and did not want to rock the boat by asking if so (I want my deposit back & references etc. after all!) Is it generally assumed that you can only give your notice on your monthly anniversary (e.g. in this example the 7th)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The lease refers to the sixth month of your lease which would start on the 7th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Sorry I should have clarified - the six months have well and truly passed at this stag, so can I only give my notice on the 7th of any given month, or on any date - once it is a month's notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That would be my take on it as a landlord...a month's notice at any time beyond the minimum period stipulated in the lease.

Advertisement