Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone boards touch!!

Options
  • 02-07-2011 10:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭

Who's the brains behind this then? Its a joke - listing the forums in alphabetical order is just dumb, it would be far better if when we select forums just the few main options appear as on the main site and then when one of these options are selected the sub options menu appears, againnlike the main site!!! That is a no brainer, lazy development in my view, its unuseable at the moment!!!! Quite surprised really!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Many !!! :eek: Try looking down the page where you'll find a thread on this subject. Though if you can't see it too easily maybe that proves your point. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Wibbs wrote: »
    Many !!! :eek: Try looking down the page where you'll find a thread on this subject. Though if you can't see it too easily maybe that proves your point. :)
    Yes i seen it after i had posted apologies, but i cannot believe how the many involved could overlook an amazingly obvious issue, its common sense! Its tedious scrolling in alphabetical order with so many forums and also you got to remember the name of a particular forum as easy as this may sound a lot of people instinctively go for the main category and just know the sub category! This touch app would be great if it had tge main caregories listed and when one is selected the sub categories appear.
    Also the latest post layout is not the best as when you select different pages the same latest posts appear, so uts always listingbthe very newest posts regardless of what page your on - not good at all im afraid but hey times on our side, the meteor doesnt hit til around 2023 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Constructive criticism without the snide remarks would go down a lot better. Especially for something you get to use for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Subscribe/Follow the forums you like.

Those forums will then appear above the alphabetical list.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Subscribe/Follow the forums you like.

Those forums will then appear above the alphabetical list.
    Personally speakibg yes the subscribe feature is good but i nirmally browse around, so no its not that good, its still bad design theres no way of hidinf that fact!!

And as for the dude saying snide and its free, its in boards best interest to provide a good app for the smart technologies which is only going to grow!!! You should be happy for my free snide remarks, i get paid a whole lot of dosh for this kind of consultancy work!!!!!
    Id also recommend a seperate link page to view the users preffered subcrived forums.

Its bad design - fact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sacred_git wrote: »
    You should be happy for my free snide remarks, i get paid a whole lot of dosh for this kind of consultancy work!!!!!!

Me too. (We must work in the same field.)

But I find that clients (paying or non-paying) accept my advice better when it is constructive and not delivered in an arrogant manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

If you don't like it, don't use it. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

I've the forums I'm subscribed to in 'my forums', I've the threads in 'my threads' and the threads being used at the time are on the main screen. Where's the problem? I'm more than happy with it.

muff03 wrote: »
    I've the forums I'm subscribed to in 'my forums', I've the threads in 'my threads' and the threads being used at the time are on the main screen. Where's the problem? I'm more than happy with it.
    No i probably wont use it because of what i said above.
    Apologies i probably was a bit harsh, i just awoke and was trying to find somethibg on boards!!
    If you dont see a problem with it, fine mate but i do and find it a fairly obvious design flaw!! I cant see how you cant see this! Anyway diesnt matter whatever you feel is right go for it but remember what i said! The take up on this service wont be a success with that layout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The take up on this service wont be a success with that layout!

In your opinion. Here's some consultancy for you free of charge. Lose the arrogance and learn to use punctuation and you might be taken more seriously.

IMO the touch site is good. But then I use it the way it's designed - with followed forums for my regular reads and the list for any others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

You should be happy for my free snide remarks, i get paid a whole lot of dosh for this kind of consultancy work!!!!!

LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Id also recommend a seperate link page to view the users preffered subcrived forums.

Develop a better one and distribute it for free then.

Don't ever branch off into the manners consultancy field as you may find clients a little thin on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Out of curiosity, which browsers/phones are being targeted here? I have an n900 and the built-in browser and opera work fine when navigating the main site. Hovering over the categories at the top of the page isn't as easy as it would be with a mouse but other than that, everything works the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How do you turn it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

keane2097 wrote: »
    How do you turn it off?
    On the ipad / iphone at least, there is a link (waaaayyyy down the bottom) that says "visit the full site". Ever since I hit that link, the normal site comes up for me unless I manually put in touch.boards.ie in the address bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you go to www.boards.ie it goes to the full site. http://boards.ie will detect your device and go to m., touch. or www. accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

I agree 100% with the OP, the list alphabetically doesn't make much sense, especially given boards.ie has always been grouped together in different categories.
    It also takes a while to load the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Actually I really like the new iPhone friendly boards, great improvement imo.

If I would have one. gripe it's an issue with some forums and stickies. Politics for example, is currently showing up (on my iPhone anyway) with about 7 sub forums, then nine (!) stickies, and only six threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I was just thinking the same thing as the Op, re the scrolling down the long list of forums.

But thanks to Wibbs post I've seen that there is a new link, as below...

"a new touch screen friendly version of Boards available at touch.boards.ie. This is intended as a major revamp for mobile browsing and should be considerably more friendly to use than m.boards.ie (which is still available)."

I added the old link(just a few days ago) which appeared first and only in my search.

The new link touch.boards.ie is much more user friendly.

Maybe the old link should be deleted.

Thanks

Orion wrote: »
    If you go to www.boards.ie it goes to the full site. http://boards.ie will detect your device and go to m., touch. or www. accordingly.

At the moment the bookmark on my phone brings me to my standard User CP, but any link I click from there gets auto-redirected to the touch site.

I'm not going to copy every link and add in www to the address bar manually, I'll probably just stop using boards on my phone tbh unless it gets sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

keane2097 wrote: »
    At the moment the bookmark on my phone brings me to my standard User CP, but any link I click from there gets auto-redirected to the touch site.

I'm not going to copy every link and add in www to the address bar manually, I'll probably just stop using boards on my phone tbh unless it gets sorted.

My phone bookmark always brought me to the full site, then once this got fully switched on it defaulted to the new touch one. However, after hitting the link for use the full site when on the touch one, it has always brought me to the full site on my phone like I prefer.

5starpool wrote: »
    My phone bookmark always brought me to the full site, then once this got fully switched on it defaulted to the new touch one. However, after hitting the link for use the full site when on the touch one, it has always brought me to the full site on my phone like I prefer.

Sweet, hopefully it's that simple for me as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there a separate iPhone version of boards now or is there some reason we have two feedback threads on the touch version?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Adyx wrote: »
    If you don't like it, don't use it. Problem solved.
    I've actually stopped using it. Mainly because I prefer accessing using the regular www interface to touch.boards.ie

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is there a separate iPhone version of boards now or is there some reason we have two feedback threads on the touch version?

I'd guess that the reason this is a seperate thread is that the OP here wouldn't have got as much attention for his rudely formulated criticism if he has posted it as post number 237 or whatever in a larger thread, and decided that he needed more attention to highlight his particular professional expertise in this area.

Just a hunch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd guess that the reason this is a seperate thread is that the OP here wouldn't have got as much attention for his rudely formulated criticism if he has posted it as post number 237 or whatever in a larger thread, and decided that he needed more attention to highlight his particular professional expertise in this area.

Just a hunch though.

Does anybody believe he is a consultant? He can't write.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yahew wrote: »
    Does anybody believe he is a consultant? He can't write.

I certainly wouldn't use B to rule out A.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I wasn't able to post at all last night on touch.boards

Can't remember the error. Some syntax error message.
    Only forums I tried was AH mods and FB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Only reason I don't like it is when I'm looking at images - the You Laugh You Lose thread usually has images that you need to scroll in to see. The Random Photo Thread also needs some images to be viewed bigger to fully appreciate them. It can be a little annoying clicking the image, viewing it and reloading backwards to where you were.

I guess what I'm saying is a zoom in feature (if it's possible) would be nice. Otherwise I like it - it's clean and fast and bar one small problem, I generally prefer it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement