Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do the wires go!

Options
  • 02-07-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Aritech alarm (unsure about model no)

Low battery came on for a few days, then our electricity went and while the code stopped the internal alarm the external one wouldn't stop. In desperation I pulled out a few wires but now I don't know where they should go back to.
    Cables are:
    Seperate blue and red
    Joined up red and white
    Joined up green and black.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Different companies use different colours.
    Probably best to get a local alarm company to call out and fix it up for you as it looks like you pulled the bells and DC power

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Aritech alarm (unsure about model no)

Low battery came on for a few days, then our electricity went and while the code stopped the internal alarm the external one wouldn't stop. In desperation I pulled out a few wires but now I don't know where they should go back to.
    Cables are:
    Seperate blue and red
    Joined up red and white
    Joined up green and black.

Any help greatly appreciated.

It does look like you have disconnected the external bell, you would have to get up at the bell to see how it is wired to reconnect it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The general rule is Red + Black -
    With that in mind I would reckon

Red & White > Internal +
    Black & Green > Internal -
    Red External +
    Blue External -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

KoolKid wrote: »
    The general rule is Red + Black -
    With that in mind I would reckon

Red & White > Internal +
    Black & Green > Internal -
    Red External +
    Blue External -

That could be dangerous

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The most dangerous thing in the panel is the mains. He should be turning that off & working off the battery. After that all is fuse protected.
    Its fairly obvious the double pairs are the internal/strobe.
    So i would presume the red would be positive.
    Your then left with one pair, again I would go with the red being + so the blue should be -.
    No in my years of experience I have come across some bad jobs & some terrible jobs. I don't think I've ever come across someone using black as a + though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Job done and all working perfectly. (+ I'm still alive)

Thanks so much for the help.

Glad you got sorted.
    If was fairly obvious once the internal/strobe were still together.

Advertisement