Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ian O'Doherty, the voice of reason - Mod warning post #60

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It would be bad enough if I had been hit

Disagree.
    I have a very empty, shallow and repetitive life

Agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Much as I hate to say it, I think O'Doherty has a point. I cycle quite a lot and it sometimes beggars belief to see how just how badly some cyclists behave with regard to the rules of the road. I've never seen any other cyclist (apart from myself) who actually stops at pedestrian crossings when the lights turn red. Most pedestrians look at me with shock when I actually stop for them. Most cyclists go through red lights as if it's their right. One morning, while stopped on a red light at a very busy junction on my bike, I couldn't believe it when I saw another cyclist flying past me with a pair of headphones completely oblivious to everything. I don't know how he wasn't hit by a car.

Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of run-ins with motorists and have even gone to the point where I once followed one of them and had it out with her for pulling out in front of me at a T-junction but a lot of cyclists are their own worst enemy. They give the rest of us a bad name, those of us who actually stop at red lights, don't cycle on footpaths and don't go the wrong way down one way streets. From my experience it looks as if I'm in a very small minority when it comes to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why, they ask, should they be the ones to pay crippling amounts of money between taxes, insurance and petrol, and then be penalised for the crime of driving a car while cyclists who pay the one-off cost of buying the bloody thing are seen as somehow superior and worse still -- they're given preferential treatment on the roads?

Not that he was onto a winner anyway but this paragraph completely derailed any point he had. Now how do I become one of these cyclists that don't pay general taxes or taxes related to my cars and insurance.

I certainly feel morally superior to him anyway after reading that tripe.

Harry, you're falling into the same trap of gross generalisations as our hero Ian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I reckon he has a point too. I cycle as a sport, but not for commuting and I have to say the standard of riding I see out there on the way into work in the car some mornings is awful, gives the rest of us a bad name. Most are fine but there are a few folks who really are a danger to themselves and everyone else. That being said, you could say the same of many motorists and pedestrians. When I was living in Dublin and cycling down O'Connell st every morning, the number of people walking out without looking was phenomonal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

They give the rest of us a bad name, those of us who actually stop at red lights, don't cycle on footpaths and don't go the wrong way down one way streets. From my experience it looks as if I'm in a very small minority when it comes to that.

I'm with you on the whole obeying the rules of the road thing. I always stop at red lights, don't cycle on footpaths etc. And yes, those of us who obey the ROTR are in a minority. However, I'm not sure it's the big problem people like IO'D make it out to be. Very few of the cycling rule-breakers are actually dangerous. Some are of course, but they're probably equally dangerous/stupid on foot or behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I reckon he has a point too. I cycle as a sport, but not for commuting and I have to say the standard of riding I see out there on the way into work in the car some mornings is awful, gives the rest of us a bad name. Most are fine but there are a few folks who really are a danger to themselves and everyone else. That being said, you could say the same of many motorists and pedestrians. When I was living in Dublin and cycling down O'Connell st every morning, the number of people walking out without looking was phenomonal.

Maybe, but in the last ten years of commuting I've noticed a marked improvement in motorists and cyclists behaviour (including my own) over the last two years, as more cyclists take to the road. A shared sense of responsibility goes a long way. But, as usual, O'Doherty panders to a mock sense of middle class righteous indignation and boorish misanthropy. Change the ****ing record Ian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I genuinely don't understand these articles about cyclists being enemy number 1. I only cycle a little, my commute to/from work is almost always by car. I regularly see motorists driving with complete disregard for others, things like tailgating, amber gambling, using a mobile phone, changing lanes without indicating and so on. But you don't see pieces in the paper about the awful motorists who nearly killed them, only the awful cyclists who nearly killed them.

I'd have thought motorists would be glad when they see cyclists anyway - surely less cars on the road is a good thing when you're driving? Those cyclists could own cars and could have chosen to drive instead of cycle after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't like these Opinion pieces based on stereotyping groups of people. Far too many of them these days, and not just about cyclists. Every opinion columnist seems to aspire to be Kevin Myers now.

Maybe I'm stereotyping opinion columnists now. The irony.

[...] only to be nearly killed by an oncoming cyclist who doesn't think such trifles as traffic lights apply to her.

I really doubt he was "nearly killed". Definitely an over-used phrase in general discourse.

(Red-light jumpers are annoying and inconsiderate, I fully recognise that.)

It's a genuinely unfair scenario on the Irish drivers, and Montague's accession to what is an admittedly merely a titular role merely increases the embattled feelings of many drivers.

If more people cycle, driving in Dublin will be more pleasant, provided some of those people give up driving. Less congestion and more parking spaces. Don't really see the problem.

If people find car costs crippling, get rid of all but one car (or all cars if you can), and join GoCar or something.

• Advertisement

Drivers, when you can, just give the poor bloke on the bike an extra couple of feet. Cyclists -- don't rush through red lights, don't try to run over my dogs (serious violence will ensue) and obey the rules of the road like everybody.

Seems like quite good advice. If I had to edit his contribution, this is about all that would remain.

Certain inconsistency of tone there; "the poor bloke" suggests empathy or pity, but he's come to hate cyclists and regards them as excessively privileged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

On a different note but keeping with cyclist behaviour. On country roads with no hard shoulders, why do groups of cyclist insist on cycling in twos...sometimes threes? I know that legally cyclists have the right to do so but why? when there's a line of infuriated motorists behind them. I think it's an Irish thing, as a Dutch cyclist I met recently opined that Irish cyclists don't cycle according to road conditions.

On a different note but keeping with cyclist behaviour. On country roads with no hard shoulders, why do groups of cyclist insist on cycling in twos...sometimes threes?
    Try a search. Complaints about two-abreast cycling abound on this forum. (By-three is illegal.)

EDIT:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056237276
    There you are. One from March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Take One -- I'm out walking the pooches and when I get to the traffic lights, the three of us wait until the lights turn green. I've trained the dogs to wait until the buzzer goes and we set out into the road

A small observation Fatty, but I wonder why you would need to train your dogs to wait at the lights. I mean, if like a responsible dog owner they are being walked on a lead (and you happen to pick up after your dog, which seems to be even rarer in Dublin than a cyclist stopping at a red) then surely your dogs don't need to be trained as they will be restrained?

Just an observation, I might be totally wrong of course, but I do see a lot of dogs being walked around Dublin without any leads. In fact, I was nearly involved in a bad crash in Howth when a dog ran out onto the road ahead of the owner. She didn't even bat an eye lid at my impressive skid around Fido.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

"don't try to run over my dogs (serious violence will ensue)"

From who? The fat lad or his ferocious mutts......

Ian-ODoherty_I_786468t.jpg

Anyway, he has some good points (maybe two) but a bit like Myers, he used to be a good writer, quite funny - but now it's all a bit tiresome.

I always wonder why the writers of such articles see it in terms of drivers -v- cyclists - is it that difficult to conceive that a lot of cyclists also drive and also "pay crippling amounts of money between taxes, insurance and petrol, and [are] then ....penalised for the crime of driving a car"?

Often it sounds like the two activities are mutually exclusive......

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Try a search. Complaints about two-abreast cycling abound on this forum. (By-three is illegal.)

EDIT:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056237276
    There you are. One from March.

So it's for the safety of the cyclist...ok.
    Would it not be safer for everyone to choose a more suitable road then the ones being used for the purpose of training?
    I guess it's a bit of a stalemate and one that motorists and cyclists will never agree on.

Bit off-topic, but I had a lot of Dutch friends in Dublin during the nineties because of the place where I worked, and their cycling skills were quite different from the skills a frequent Irish cyclist would have.

They were really good at some practical things like cycling a bike while simultaneously pulling another bike in parallel. I tried to do it and just ended up catching a pedal in the spokes.

But their roadcraft was relatively poor in one or two areas. I remember one occasion getting an awful shock when one of them attempted a right turn by swinging from the side of the road across oncoming traffic without looking. Not much looking over the shoulder, and didn't seem to be aware of pinch points.

No idea whether it's a general thing about Dutch cyclists, or whether it's due to having well-worked out bike-specific options at junctions in the Netherlands. Or whether I'm just imagining it.

Now I'm stereotyping Dutch cyclists! I'm no better than Ian.

Would it not be safer for everyone to choose a more suitable road then the ones being used for the purpose of training?
    I guess it's a bit of a stalemate and one that motorists and cyclists will never agree on.

Yes, drive on a motorway if you want to get somewhere faster. Seriously, I have seen some shocking cycling in Dublin city, but I can't honestly say I have ever been delayed because of cyclists riding two abreast.

Where are you going in such a hurry?

I'll let the roadies field this one! I don't cycle in groups.

Actually, I'm warming to him. I've a great fondness for dogs, and these dogs have nice, soulful faces.

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm warming to him. I've a great fondness for dogs, and these dogs have nice, soulful faces.

They look terrified to me, sort of pleading with the cameraman:

"Don't leave us alone with this guy!"

Ah, that's just mean. I did laugh though.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Where are you going in such a hurry?

Pardon me but I'm not too fond of driving 20kph in an 80kph zone.

PS I live in a small village called Sixmilebridge with pretty dodgy roads leading in and out. What gets me is the cyclists are coming from larger towns like Shannon and Ennis.

PS I live in a small village called Sixmilebridge with pretty dodgy roads leading in and out. What gets me is the cyclists are coming from larger towns like Shannon and Ennis.

Well boo hoo. Do you get mad at tractors too? Or is it just 'outsiders' you've a problem with?

Of course you aren't, who would be? But I'm asking how often your journeys are held up by cyclists and roughly how much they delay you by. If I'm driving back from Blessington after a race, I am invariably going to come across quite a few groups of cyclists, more than average. The roads are quite windy and fast, but I would consider myself a good driver and it is not at all difficult to move past them safely. It does require moving out onto the other side of the road and applying a bit of power. At any rate, I am slowed down more by traffic lights and people driving in the middle lane of the M50 at 80 km/hr. There are 3 lanes there for a reason people, no it is not a merging lane!

But but but I'm both, I'm sure I can agree with myself, sometimes.

RT66 wrote: »
    Well boo hoo. Do you get mad at tractors too? Or is it just 'outsiders' you've a problem with?

I do when a tractor doesn't pull in when there's a long line behind him and let traffic past, sure I do. I've even seen Gards giving warnings to farmers to do so.

This is how I deal with outsiders

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

... I am slowed down more by traffic lights and people driving in the middle lane of the M50 at 80 km/hr. There are 3 lanes there for a reason people, no it is not a merging lane!

Not to continue the off-topic discussion but the middle lane of the M50 makes me weep for humanity ... specifically how thick Irish people can be

I love dogs too (Retrievers) but the ones in this pic don't look as happy to be sharing the couch with him as he does with the them - he's wearing a very strange look on his face.......

• Advertisement

Not to continue the off-topic discussion but the middle lane of the M50 makes me weep for humanity ... specifically how thick Irish people can be

Irish drivers don't know how to drive on motorways......that is all:)

This is how I deal with outsiders

You made me think of that earlier, but I managed to restrain myself and not mention it.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Irish drivers don't know how to drive on motorways......that is all:)

Aside from middle lane syndrome, it seems to be customary for people to move into the outside lane until just before their exit, at which point they perform a swerve across three lanes. Without indicating of course.

Then there is the old guy who I saw pulled into the hard shoulder, continued to drive along the hard shoulder and even crossed the hatched marking of an on-ramp when the hard shoulder finished to move into the next stretch of hard shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

So, children, what are the lessons we can learn from the above stories?

Well, nothing, as far I am concerned, other than the fact that some people are just pathologically self-centred and seem utterly incapable of seeing something from someone else's perspective -- and it seems that most of these people also ride a bike.

"So, Ian O'Doherty, what are the lessons that that we can learn from the above article?

Well, nothing, as far I am concerned, other than the fact that some people are just pathologically self-centred and seem utterly incapable of seeing something from someone else's perspective -- and it seems that most of these people write for the Independent."

I suspect he'd take issue with that assertion, and rightly so because it's such a ridiculous generalisation that it doesn't even merit any discussion. But of course it's not the kind off assertion that is meant to promote debate, it's just the kind of thing that a surly arse would spout and then try to dress it up as a constructive comment.

There truly is an issue of people using the roads as if they themselves were immortal and as if everyone else was impervious to the dangers posed by the actions of the supposedly immortal. I see people doing blatantly stupid and obnoxious things every day, while the rest of us try hard to be careful and considerate. It doesn't matter a whole lot whether the culprits are on bikes, driving cars, walking, etc., they all demonstrate the same entirely selfish and obnoxious mindset. We already have laws against their stupid actions, instead of simply whinging about a particular subset of these people, as a writer for a national paper O'Doherty should be doing something constructive such as calling for better education of all road users, urging the gardai to actively enforce the laws, encouraging people to report culprits to the gardai, etc.

Portraying the situation as some kind of war between cyclists, motorists, and pedestrians is childish drivel and promotes animosity rather than understanding. By choosing this option O'Doherty willingly places himself into the category of "part of the problem", which probably panders to his whine gene.

Aside from middle lane syndrome, it seems to be customary for people to move into the outside lane until just before their exit, at which point they perform a swerve across three lanes. Without indicating of course.

Then there is the old guy who I saw pulled into the hard shoulder, continued to drive along the hard shoulder and even crossed the hatched marking of an on-ramp when the hard shoulder finished to move into the next stretch of hard shoulder.

Missing your exit and then reversing back is my own "favourite" and HGVs in lane 2/3 for no good reason.

But I do notice that even the RSA have referred to the over-taking lane as the "fast" lane on motorways.

nelson-muntz_194.gif

"Look, non-locals. Stranger danger. STRANGER DANGER!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

I live in a small village called Sixmilebridge with pretty dodgy roads leading in and out. What gets me is the cyclists are coming from larger towns like Shannon and Ennis.
    I have to agree with you on this one. Cyclists in general show complete disregard for the "only cycle to/through villages/towns/cities that are larger than the one from which you started your journey" rule. Having said that, it's pretty tough for the cyclists from Dublin to obey ... must be why they aimlessly pedal in circles around the Wicklow mountains. Cyclists from Shannon have no excuse though, they can cycle to Ennis or Limerick and then turn around and cycle home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't get what's wrong with "take two" apart from the taxi driver's reaction...
    road rage, should have reported him Ian!

as for "take three" are we assume that the cyclist was on the footpath or was Iano on the road, maybe she was buzzing him for walking in a cycle lane, context needed. and what's wrong with texting while cycling, perfectly legal

I don't get what's wrong with "take two" apart from the taxi driver's reaction...
    road rage, should have reported him Ian!

as for "take three" are we assume that the cyclist was on the footpath or was Iano on the road, maybe she was buzzing him for walking in a cycle lane, context needed. and what's wrong with texting while cycling, perfectly legal

You fcuking high? Of course the cyclist in question in "take two" is in the wrong. Just because you cycle a bicycle doesn't make you above the rules of the road. A bicycle is not a child's toy so don't act like a child when you're using one.

I do not like when columnists lump us all into one category but hipsters on bikes acting like they are the entitled to do as they please just because they watched a youtube "vid" of other hipsters doing it in NYC makes it hard to defend myself to anti-cyclist friends/ colleagues. I fully agree with Ian on all his points in the article.

Also while I'm at it; critical mass wtf is the point?? :p

Ironic post above considering we're taking about the voice of reason and all that malarky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

You fcuking high? Of course the cyclist in question in "take two" is in the wrong. Just because you cycle a bicycle doesn't make you above the rules of the road. A bicycle is not a child's toy so don't act like a child when you're using one.

There's no law that says you have to have both hands on the handlebars at all times, no law that says you can't wear headphones, and the cyclist didn't hit the taxi, or fall over, so the driver was in the wrong to beep and unleash a load of profanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Now I'm stereotyping Dutch cyclists! I'm no better than Ian.

I live in Holland every other week for work.
    A lot of the roadie clubs will take the whole road up - I've seen groups into their hundreds at a time, and commuter types will cycle in the rain with umbrellas up!
    The big difference here is that car drivers give cyclists room and time as most of them will cycle themselves at some time (I read somewhere there are more bicycles than people in Holland), and the place is better set up for cyclists (multi-story bike parks, cycle paths/lanes etc)

There's no law that says you have to have both hands on the handlebars at all times, no law that says you can't wear headphones, and the cyclist didn't hit the taxi, or fall over, so the driver was in the wrong to beep and unleash a load of profanity.

You are obviously correct that the taxi driver was wrong to unleash a tirade however the rest of your response is farcical. I did not refer at any point to the taxi driver, I was actually pointing out how ridiculous cookie_monster's attitude toward the behavior of the cyclist in question was. You can't legislate for everything I suppose, just hope that people have enough cop-on not to act like a plonker on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You fcuking high? Of course the cyclist in question in "take two" is in the wrong. Just because you cycle a bicycle doesn't make you above the rules of the road.

what rotr was he above?

No idea whether it's a general thing about Dutch cyclists, or whether it's due to having well-worked out bike-specific options at junctions in the Netherlands. Or whether I'm just imagining it.

A Dutch friend of my wife once told her that walking (and cycling too presumably) in the Netherlands can be quite hazardous, particularly in Amsterdam. She said that cyclists expect everyone else to move out of their way and generally adopt quite a "firm", or aggressive depending on your perspective, approach when cycling.

Perhaps that is only one person's view and not representative but if it is true then it suggests that many cyclists in Amsterdam take the attitude that many motorists here in Ireland tend to i.e. my bleedin' road, out of my bleedin' way. I wonder if it is inevitable that the largest body of road users become the main bullies on the roads? What would happen if cycling grew massively in popularity over here I wonder - I have a pleasing mental image of yer stereotypical fat balding middle-aged man of an angry disposition leaving the keys to his taxi/white van/bus/jalopy at home and walking to work, his eyes wild with fear as he mutters "it's just not safe to drive on the roads these days".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

You are obviously correct that the taxi driver was wrong to unleash a tirade however the rest of your response is farcical. I did not refer at any point to the taxi driver, I was actually pointing out how ridiculous cookie_monster's attitude toward the behavior of the cyclist in question was. You can't legislate for everything I suppose, just hope that people have enough cop-on not to act like a plonker on the road.

What attitude did he have, other than saying that the driver should be reported for road rage? All this tells us is that he thought the driver over reacted, which is what I repeated, and you yourself now have. At no point did Cookie_Monster claim that the cyclist was 'right', in fact he made no reference to the cyclist at all, so how is that attitude ridiculous when it's so similar to your own?

I was made to reassess things when I heard a caller on Liveline one day talking about how her father had been killed by a cyclist who had been going the wrong way down a one-way street in Dublin. However much we cyclists complain about pedestrians not looking behind them to make sure there are no cyclists coming, we can hardly expect pedestrians to look the opposite way when they're making their way across a one-way street. It really hit home to me how dangerous cyclists can be for other road users if we ourselves don't obey the rules of the road. So often we think that cyclists are benign road users and are more sinned against than sinning but that story changed how I view things. Okay, I know this is probably an isolated incident but cyclists can cause injuries or even death if they are not cognisant and respectful of other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Much as I hate to say it, I think O'Doherty has a point. I cycle quite a lot and it sometimes beggars belief to see how just how badly some cyclists behave with regard to the rules of the road. I've never seen any other cyclist (apart from myself) who actually stops at pedestrian crossings when the lights turn red. Most pedestrians look at me with shock when I actually stop for them. Most cyclists go through red lights as if it's their right. One morning, while stopped on a red light at a very busy junction on my bike, I couldn't believe it when I saw another cyclist flying past me with a pair of headphones completely oblivious to everything. I don't know how he wasn't hit by a car.

Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of run-ins with motorists and have even gone to the point where I once followed one of them and had it out with her for pulling out in front of me at a T-junction but a lot of cyclists are their own worst enemy. They give the rest of us a bad name, those of us who actually stop at red lights, don't cycle on footpaths and don't go the wrong way down one way streets. From my experience it looks as if I'm in a very small minority when it comes to that.

this^^

plus the "Fatty O'Doherty" moniker is just juvenile. not surprised really with the rabid defence of cyclists by certain posters tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭thebullkf

You can think of it as juvenile if you like, I'm not bothered. I'm just going by what I see as a cyclist on the roads practically every day of the week.

it is juvenile:confused:

i agree with your other post though.:)

I was made to reassess things when I heard a caller on Liveline one day talking about how her father had been killed by a cyclist who had been going the wrong way down a one-way street in Dublin. However much we cyclists complain about pedestrians not looking behind them to make sure there are no cyclists coming, we can hardly expect pedestrians to look the opposite way when they're making their way across a one-way street. It really hit home to me how dangerous cyclists can be for other road users if we ourselves don't obey the rules of the road. So often we think that cyclists are benign road users and are more sinned against than sinning but that story changed how I view things. Okay, I know this is probably an isolated incident but cyclists can cause injuries or even death if they are not cognisant and respectful of other road users.
    That incident where the pedestrian died isn't quite as Liveline portrayed it, it seems. According to this, it was rather more like a freak accident, albeit one that wouldn't have happened if the courier had not been doing something unexpected.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68489098&postcount=76

Cycling not in accordance with the Rules of the Road is still by and large inconsiderate and annoying, and there's usually no good reason for it.

That incident where the pedestrian died isn't quite as Liveline portrayed it, it seems. According to this, it was rather more like a freak accident, albeit one that wouldn't have happened if the courier had not been doing something unexpected.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68489098&postcount=76

Cycling not in accordance with the Rules of the Road is still by and large inconsiderate and annoying, and there's usually no good reason for it.

Point taken, but if he hadn't been cycling down the wrong way of a one-way street, the accident wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement