Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you be penalised for riding a motorcycle not in your name?

• 02-07-2011 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I bought a second hand scooter about 6 weeks ago from a small shop/garage in Walkinstown, but the guy 'didnt have the logbook with him' and said come back next day as he had left it at home...
    I should not have paid him the full amount until I got the logbook because 6 weeks later he still hasnt found it (it probably never existed) and the only way to get the bike transferred into my name was by getting a declaration form signed by a solicitor and stamped by a main dealer. This has gone in the post and I'm waiting for a new logbook.
    In the mean time is there any danger of being penalised for no tax?
    Do the guards bother to stop motorcycles when they are doing their spot checks on tax/insurance discs?
    I am insured on the bike, but just not taxed...its technically not even in my name but a previous owner who has left the country!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Reckon if you were stopped..just quote the above....he'll probably ask you to produce the cert (when you get it) and your docs anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Well, technically you should never take any vehicle out on the road without tax. I reckon I've gone through about 20 tax checkpoints in my time driving (all in dublin city) and the garda have never looked, just waved me through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

The odd time I've went through a checkpoint where they were only stopping bikes. I was grand but seen 5 or 6 bikes parked up on the side of the road I presume for no tax.

If you explain your situation they will give you 10 days to produce your stuff at a station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Park it in the middle of a busy footpath in the city centre until it accumulates a heap of parking tickets, The previous owner will soon be on to the shop. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

IME you've about a 50/50 chance of being stopped on a bike compared to a car.

Get a copy of the forms you sent off to Shannon and carry them with you so you can explain to the Garda you're waiting on the logbook bla bla bla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

+1 to Kami. Make sure they know it's you're only form of transport etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Park it in the middle of a busy footpath in the city centre until it accumulates a heap of parking tickets, The previous owner will soon be on to the shop. :o

Has anybody ever got a parking ticket on a bike? I havent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pataman wrote: »
    Nope, and I abandon it in some strange places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pataman wrote: »

Stick it in a Dublin pay and display bay and you'll get one.
    Motor cycles and pedal cycles prohibited from parking in pay and display ticket parking places

A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be parked during operational hours in a ticket parking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sulley001

Ha I never thought of that, in fact it could be used in a robbery and the woman who owned it will simply point to the garage!
    The garage owner has been refusing to pay the small fees for the declaration, so I told him I'd be putting people wide to him, and he has threatened to put me in hospital if I do...
    I wont mention the name on the web but I'm putting the word out!

Anyway thanks for all replies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Feic that man I'd be bringing the bike back and not leaving till he refunded you.

Advertisement