Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer coming anytime soon?

Options
  • 02-07-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭

Well this is just depressing isnt it... It feels like winter again... except no snow. Anyone remember forecast in april ' hottest summer since 1995 coming to uk' then everything went down hill when the terrible may arrived and it hasnt improved at all since may. 2nd july still cold,dark,depressing and wet :( I like most others have given up on winter and am looking forward to a long freezing cold snowy winter with 3 feet of snow in dublin city centre hoping its worse than last year :D Well back to summer , could anyone give any hope, any charts forecasting some little bit of warmth...anyone...anything??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

Yesterday and today feel like summer to me. Ok, it was chilly overnight but last evening was very warm, sunny and pleasant in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

:confused:
    It's been lovely down here all week. Maybe you need to move west? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It's lovely and warm today. As was yesterday. As will tomorrow more than likely. It was 33C in London not too long ago. I think as MT's forecasts suggest we will have the wait for the second half of summer to see a sustained warm period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

The weather is fab here this week. It isn't roasting but it's better than the usual crappy weather we get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

It's one of the warmer summers in the last couple of years, I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Sheesh, ya'd need to be living in Africa all your life to think it feels like winter out there.

It's hit and miss, some people, including me, have missed out on a lot of the June showers and got a lot of sun. Was a fabulous month, a few days above 20c....what more could you ask for after recent years? July has started nice too. Be thankfull it's not been raining everyday with every river in the country bursting their banks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

In fact before last weekend there was only 119 days water available in Dublin so a week or two drier than normal and the old hosepipe ban is nearer than you think. In Sligo in June we had 76mm of rain. We normally average about 100mm per month no matter what season so thats one of the drier ones. In fact only May was real wet here and February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

bb1234567 wrote: »
    ... 2nd july still cold,dark,depressing and wet...
    Seriously, are you standing in your shower with the light off? Your location is given as Dublin, just like me but while you were posting this I was out at the shops in t-shirt and shorts. Its no heatwave but it is certainly very pleasant and has been all week, particularly in the evenings and a lot better than the chilly weather of a couple of weeks previously. There were some fair sized crowds outside many pubs in Dublin yesterday evening enjoying post-work pints under a crystal clear blue evening sky.

The ability of people to misinterpret weather forecasts given in plain English, apply wild revisionism/romanticism to past weather and, apparently, not look outside their own window is the root cause of most of the moaning and despair on this forum, not the weather itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

xper wrote: »
    Seriously, are you standing in your shower with the light off? Your location is given as Dublin, just like me but while you were posting this I was out at the shops in t-shirt and shorts. Its no heatwave but it is certainly very pleasant and has been all week, particularly in the evenings and a lot better than the chilly weather of a couple of weeks previously. There were some fair sized crowds outside many pubs in Dublin yesterday evening enjoying post-work pints under a crystal clear blue evening sky.

The ability of people to misinterpret weather forecasts given in plain English, apply wild revisionism/romanticism to past weather and, apparently, not look outside their own window is the root cause of most of the moaning and despair on this forum, not the weather itself.
    Again, the problem is that these "forecasts" were the usual fabrications made up by the media around the same time every year to
    a) sell more newspapers,
    b) generate a feel-good factor among the population....and sell more newspapers,
    C) sell more newspapers.

I'm getting pretty sick of people whinging about the lack of summer, especially on one of the better days of the year. Wet? Dark? bb, you are in Dublin IRELAND, aren't you? We'll see tomorrow exactly how many hours of sunshine we got at DUB and Casement..... :rolleyes:

Max temps today:

Dublin Airport 18.4 °C
    Casement 19.4 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Well this is just depressing isnt it... It feels like winter again... except no snow.

Are you taking the piss . I'm in Dublin and its been a great day . Just finished off a bbq. Get out there and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Winger_PL wrote: »
    It's one of the warmer summers in the last couple of years, I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.
    ........ which just shows how poor recent summers have been. At Dublin Airport (the nearest ME station to me) rainfall for June was above normal and the mean temp was 12c which is 1.4c below average. Next week is looking unsettled as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Winger_PL wrote: »

I wouldn't agree at all. Mean temperatures for June show that it was one of the coldest Junes for the past 40 years! Temperatures were around 1.5 degrees below normal and grass frost was even recorded in a number of locations around mid month! In Dublin, temps only got above 20 degrees on three days. Hardly anything to write home about, even by Irish standards. Still, it hasn't been a washout summer like the last previous three summers...yet!

Just to add, I have a red neck and nose that prove it was a cracking day here. Mist forecast for tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Definitely one of the worst summers I have seen in a long time. I hope it picks up from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well its been a mediocre summer so far overall but the last few days have been lovely, all ends on Monday night/Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mike65 wrote: »
    Well its been a mediocre summer so far overall but the last few days have been lovely, all ends on Monday night/Tuesday.

Yep - Make the most of this folks cos its downhill all the way for next week:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yep - Make the most of this folks cos its downhill all the way for next week:(

Half full, half empty?

If thunderstorms is downhill, bring it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

There's been so many false dawns that I refuse to believe there's any type of good weather on the way until the day before every weather station is forecasting it to arrive!

It's funny how a HP system or some good decent weather will often be downgraded as we get closer to the event but crap weather never seems to be! I mean what are the chances of finding out tomorrow that the area of low pressure that's supposed to track over us for the next four days has suddenly shifted north and won't be bringing half as much rain to us!

Its some sort of cosmic joke, the GSF isn't worth diddly squat until the high pressure is still suggested about 6/7 days away and I bet its gone come next weekends charts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I think summer was on a Thursday last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Don't worry everyone - temps are expected to be well up today according to RTÉ News Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

MackQ wrote: »
    Don't worry everyone - temps are expected to be well up today according to RTÉ News Now.

Great, that'll save me boiling the kettle.

Yesterday was surprisingly warm it has to be said!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Can anyone give an educated insight into the expected weather today in the Dublin/Wicklow region at all? My firefox forecast is saying rain but it said the same for yesterday which turned out to be nice all day. It's nice out now but just wondering will that still be the case for the rest of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Azores high shoving slightly westwards next week according to the models.

If we can stay out of the neverending train of shortwaves we may be in for a good couple of weeks.

Some ensemble members showing this also

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

hah was just gonna say was rli nice out then look around and its lashing

Advertisement