Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best phone to use for skype for under €150?

Options
  • 02-07-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

a friend of mine is looking for a phone that he can use with skype solely. he has no interest in android or anything in particular, its just texting, phonecalls, and skype. he went into the 3 store and they recommended him a Nokia X3 @€;150. does anyone have any experience with this phone and/or skype on it?

tbh, id have reccomended a cheapish android phone straight away (i have a DHD) but he will literally not even look at the app market or anything. and the battery drainage associated with android phones.

so any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

What about the Xperia X8? It seems to be able to run skype, since it mentions it on it's site (you'll have to upgrade the OS to 2.1, which it supports).

119.99 on three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

looks alright. anyone have any experience with using skype on the experia x8? i know skype can even be dodgy enough on my phone, so im a little pessimistic about it running on these cheap phones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

it probably has more to do with your signal strength on 3 than anything, my nokia x6 is not dis-similar to the x3-02, except that mine is full touch screen, but generally i have skype logged in 24/7, i lose reception when i go shopping in tesco alright, but i know to log back in once i leave tesco.

now, the biggest issue for me is lack of caller ID, when someone is calling me it just comes up as "Skype Service", im not so bothered at all that it doesnt do video calling, but just to make you aware of that too.

certainly though it's definitely value for money as an added extra when you top up by the €20 a month. oh that's another thing too, after 30 days, even if you still have credit, skype wont let you sign in till you top up by €20 again! it says you are not subscribed to the service.

hope this helps.

ps- i'd tack on an extra €20 to the €150 and go for the nokia C5-03 or the nokia E5... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Have skype on my Xperia X8.

Works fine but poor sound quality and it dropped 2 calls on me.

I didn't use it that much and never used skype before but I think sound quality was just skype and dropping of calls probably was too as I sometimes I could talk for ages and other times it would drop the call in under 30 seconds.

I upgraded to latest update for X8. I rooted it and have SD speed booster and link2sd installed on it (for devices that can't run 2.2/2.3 for installing apps to sd card.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Nokia X3

Does anyone know if this skype would work on this phone if bought from meteor? Or does skype only work on 3 network? Thanks

• Advertisement

skype will work on that phone, download it from the ovi store, all skype needs is an internet or data connection. the vesion of skype bundled with 3 network phones is a customised version that works on the 3 network only. skype will work over your meteor data connection, but it wont be free. it will be free however if you use wifi, be careful there though, the nokia x3 has no wifi, the nokia x3-02 has wifi.

xsiborg wrote: »
    skype will work on that phone, download it from the ovi store, all skype needs is an internet or data connection. the vesion of skype bundled with 3 network phones is a customised version that works on the 3 network only. skype will work over your meteor data connection, but it wont be free. it will be free however if you use wifi, be careful there though, the nokia x3 has no wifi, the nokia x3-02 has wifi.

Careful if you use Wifi?

Why?

The X8 has the option to turn off Data Traffic on the widget on main screen. This doesn't affect WiFi though so will Skype would then only be able to connect on the WiFi network.

I used it on O2 from market place. Also has an option to just turn off data when roaming for those that might need that option.

Nokia X3

Nokia X3-02

sorry for the confusion, this is what i was referring to, the X3 and the X3 02 are two very different phones, the X3 which is out a while, has no wifi, and the X3 02, which is out more recently has wifi, so i just was trying to make the distinction between the two phones...

again apologies for any confusion caused... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's a bit of a difference between using skype on 3 and the other networks. 3 transfer the call to the mobile network when it's connected so it's not dependent on the data network once your connected. If you move from a 3G area to a 2G you won't drop the skype call.
    If skype was one of the main features a 3 phone would be best for out and about as there set up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

looks like its down to the nokia X3-02, and the nokia e5. anyone have any experience with either of these, particularly with skype?

Thanks to everyone who commented and gave advice so far, its much appreciated.

that top up by €20 every month is a little cheeky, and i dont remember it ever being mentioned to me by a rep. lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    looks like its down to the nokia X3-02, and the nokia e5. anyone have any experience with either of these, particularly with skype?

Thanks to everyone who commented and gave advice so far, its much appreciated.

that top up by €20 every month is a little cheeky, and i dont remember it ever being mentioned to me by a rep. lame.

That’s why I’d be much more tempted to move to Meteor bill-pay.

For €30 per month, you can join their Smart €35 plan. To get a Samsung Galaxy SII on this plan costs €139.99 and you get €40 cashback if you buy it through fatcheese.ie.

For that, you get 200 minutes, 200 texts and 1GB data per month and it’s a 12 month contract.

In effect, you’re paying €10 per month more than the minimum you’d need to be paying on PAYG but the phone would only be costing you €99.99.

It’s a top-of-the-range phone and costs €579.99 if buying on PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

If your friend is primarily interested in Skype then the 3 network is your only option for stable call quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

If your friend is primarily interested in Skype then the 3 network is your only option for stable call quality.

Best to try a free sim-card if possible first as this will vary depending on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

marathonic wrote: »
    Best to try a free sim-card if possible first as this will vary depending on location.

Good advice regardless of network but bear in mind that Skype on 3 is not dependant on good data service, only a 3G GSM signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Just as long as you don't use wifi. Skype on 3 does give the best call quality but does not work if you have a phone using wifi.

Might be better off with the normal data-based skype, particularly now that Three are using HSPA in a widespread manner.

I was using my X8 again today with Skype over WiFi to person with an iMac and it turns out it was their phone last time that caused the call issues.

X8 was perfect to the point that we both mentioned the difference. Last time they had a Samsung Galaxy with Skype and my voice was echoed back to me and I sounded muffled to them. This time was perfect from X8 to Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just as long as you don't use wifi. Skype on 3 does give the best call quality but does not work if you have a phone using wifi.

There's nothing stopping you having 2 skype's on a 3 phone, you can download one for wifi use and one for use on 3.
    At the moment 3 are the only network that support skype.

Advertisement