Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting rid of moths in wardrobes

• 02-07-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, my old bedroom in my parents house has lots of little moths in it. On clothes, on bedclothes, in wardrobes. Absolutely disgusting! They can be killed easily by hand, (as in they don't fly too fast). We tried fly killer but this hasn't worked. Moth balls are so smelly. Has anyone any success in getting rid of them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭brian_t

There is a fairly extensive article on the problem here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/lock-up-your-cashmere-457616.html

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

I have a problem with moths in my house this year too. For the past few weeks every night I have been killing about 10 - 15. They're always upstairs in the bedrooms and bathroom, I keep all windows shut and still they get in. So I went up to the attic and discovered about a hundred of them seemingly nesting in the fiber glass. I haven't come across and eggs yet or larvae, once you find them and kill them apparently your on your way to getting rid of them. I bought the electric insect killer in Aldi the other day and have it hanging up in my attic, so hopefully that will kill off a few.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

brian_t wrote: »

The article says an increase in the moth population is the result of warmer winters!!!

I had a similar problem - plenty of cedar shavings did the trick. Eucalyptus bark/leaves are supposed to be good too. And the aromas are not offensive or toxic.:)

slowburner wrote: »
    The article says an increase in the moth population is the result of warmer winters!!!

I had a similar problem - plenty of cedar shavings did the trick. Eucalyptus bark/leaves are supposed to be good too. And the aromas are not offensive or toxic.:)

Thanks for the advice, do you know did the cedar shavings kill off the larvae/eggs as well as the actual moths? I read you need to kill the larvae and eggs to eradicate the problem...I had all my window shut last night yet opened my bathroom to find a swarm of the fe*ckrs! The problem seems to be getting worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 star29

Thanks for your replies, I want to thank both of you. how do I do it? I'm new to this forum!

• Advertisement

star29 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, I want to thank both of you. how do I do it? I'm new to this forum!

Click the thumbs up button! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, do you know did the cedar shavings kill off the larvae/eggs as well as the actual moths? I read you need to kill the larvae and eggs to eradicate the problem...I had all my window shut last night yet opened my bathroom to find a swarm of the fe*ckrs! The problem seems to be getting worse!

No, it won't kill anything - it just acts as a deterrent.

Advertisement