Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter org email relay

• 02-07-2011 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

Hey fellas,

The organization I work for is currently taking over another smaller one, and we are looking to offer email relay services to their email system as a means of reducing their current operations costs. We will also be taking over a few others in the future and I am looking to put in place a solution that will accommodate all of them, but have a few queries regarding the setup that I'd like to pick some brains on. Is there anyone here I can post on the forum to or does anyone know of any websites that I could put this out to ?

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Probably.

Are you looking for sendmail expertise? Or perhaps someone with experience in highly reliable systems? Or choosing an open source client frontend and customising it? A list of the existing relay providers whose services you might resell?

Can I suggest that asking some of the queries here and seeing whether anyone answers intelligibly would be a useful start in narrowing down whether your work requires simple answers or consultancy in a particular area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No not particularly - I have basic idea of a setup , but testing opportunities will be limited - so I wanted to see if I was missing anything in the design. Basically..an exchange 2003 server setup as relay, accepting and providing connections to/from multiple email domains - directing mail to one gateway where there will be the possibility of bypassing existing mail policies (in this case due to existing devices/policies within the child organizations - they may or may not be kept ) in those domains before mail gets to the relay server. Make any sense ?

We are working under the assumption that there will be no domain trusts.

Thanks guys.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I have an idea as to what you want , in fact I've looked at it as a solution for people with iphone / laptops where their internet provider can move about.
    Unfortunately where I walked away was when it was apparent that one donkey could easily get the ip (and by extension everyone using the relay) on a blacklist and cause quite a headache.
    Hence I've gone along the route of allowing authenticated relaying so that people can use their own relay and therefore the only people they can "pull the plug on" is their own domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Thanks for the reply - and apologies for the delay on coming back on this lads. Its turned out we will only offer application relay services for the moment, which simplifies things greatly as there does not need to be much Infrastructure change aside from a dedicated relay server. If anyone is interested in further detail PM me by all means.

Advertisement