Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Bike Options

• 02-07-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey folks,
    I'm looking for a cheap bike, just for poppin in and out of college with.
    Was thinking of getting a second hand one but I saw the likes of this on halford's site; http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_770971_langId_-1_categoryId_212589
    I read through the reviews and they all seem okay, one or two mentioned the lack of suspension, hard seat (I'm sure i could just replace it) and cheap rims (??).
    Anyway, are bikes like this okay for light use or are they just rubbish that's gonna break after a while? Would I be better off spending an extra few bob (don't really have much to spend) or spend the same money on a second hand one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NPH

Ok, I realise I should've done a little more research. A link on your wiki gave me food for thought; http://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk/articles.asp?article=NO_BSO
    Guess I'll have to go the second hand route as I do not have 300+ to spend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

At the low end, I'd say you're definitely better off going second hand. How far is your commute?

(also, welcome to boards :)).

Thanks for the replies.
    Haven't got my accom sorted yet, but I'm going to UCD and doing a placement in a school about 5k or so away, so my plan is to live near the school and cycle to UCD. So (to actually answer your question) about 4-5k.
    Also, thanks for the link, I see there's loads of second hand options, the only problem is I don't really know a 'good' bike from a 'bad' one but I only really need it to be decent and reasonably safe and hold together for a year (hopefully!). I suppose I could stretch to 200 quid, I am saving a bit on transport for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

4-5k = any bike will do IMO. I regularly do 5K on a bike I bought second hand for 100 euro about 5 years ago. The lads on here would have a conniption if they saw the state of it. :) Even very basic maintenance will keep a bike like that ticking over for a year.

Keep the tyres pumped fairly hard, the chain lubed and the brakes in decent nick (replacement pads are for nothing) and you should be ok for a year.

• Advertisement

Excellent, cheers! Was hoping to get away with spending about 100 euro but not waste the money on something that'll fall apart or kill me! I'll go have a look at a few of the second hand ones for around 100 on adverts.ie. Who knows, I might get the cycling bug and get a decent bike next year! I'll keep ye posted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

100e won't probably won't get you anything fantastic but second hand but it should easily get you something that'll last 4 or 5km. Just stay away from new bikes in that price range, not only will they be a bitch to keep running some of them simple can't be kept running and none of them will be any fun to use.

I bought a decent quality folding bike a few weeks back for 30e and got a beautiful steel frame retro touring bike last year for 40e (admittedly the wheels were shot but it was otherwise ok) so you'd be surprised what you can pick up for very little money although it obviously helps to know what you're looking for.

Advertisement