Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Internet problems in the city

• 02-07-2011 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here have been having problems with there UPC internet connection? I live in the city near park road and I have to say for the past few weeks my internet connection has been very slow, so much so I cant get onto a webpage sometimes, the internet is connected alright put its fair slow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,665 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

yeah i live in Mayors walk and the connection has been stop start since Thursday.

I unplugged my modem for 5 mins and plugged it back in and it helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Been having problems for at least a week, even right now its happening, and a couple of the lads are saying the same. UPC are claiming we have faulty routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

mine is perfect

hope all you guys get yours sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I'm in Railway Square, internet has been fine all week to be honest. As Joe say's, hope ye'res get sorted of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Seanie789

I have been having ****e connection for around 10 days now too, just suddenly turns to crap. UPC tried to tell me no one else in my area was having the problem. Dunno if you lads have been in touch with 'em but if enough put the pressure on maybe will help. Also if anyone has been given a hitherto unknown solution it would be great to find out. Am up in Trinity Sq at the mo

• Advertisement

PS my mate living just off the shortcourse also havin similar difficulties

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Its been off out near dunmore road past three days, there sending a technician out to fix ours!!! ugh! dunno wat we do be paying for!! wish sky had broadband here!!!!:mad:

Amzie wrote: »
    Its been off out near dunmore road past three days, there sending a technician out to fix ours!!! ugh! dunno wat we do be paying for!! wish sky had broadband here!!!!:mad:

Right, well they can go stick the "it's only your connection" hypothesis where the sun don't shine then, I'm just gonna keep emailin them. Everyone should at least email if they can and try put pressure on 'em. They're always tryin to put it back on the individuals circumstances when you talk to them but clearly there's at least an element of bull in that. Someone in another thread got the CEO's email too ("go the angry mob" =) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

about 10 disconnection per day for the past few weeks. never had a problem for 5 years previous.

coincides with 100mb coming available :pac:

Media999 wrote: »
    about 10 disconnection per day for the past few weeks. never had a problem for 5 years previous.

coincides with 100mb coming available :pac:

Oh really? Sounds cool, where did you hear about that? UPC is definitely the best I could find in the area on whole, it's just I rely on the internet these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I was having hassles with it losing connection etc. Eventually rang them and they got remote access to it and seemed to change something. Working fine now. I'd advise ringing them and seeing what the story is. Took them a little while (bout 20 mins on phone) but it's sorted now for me anyway!

Manic087 wrote: »
    I was having hassles with it losing connection etc. Eventually rang them and they got remote access to it and seemed to change something. Working fine now. I'd advise ringing them and seeing what the story is. Took them a little while (bout 20 mins on phone) but it's sorted now for me anyway!

Yeah they did the same for me but things still reverted, however it has been stable not for the past day and a half so will just keep an eye out, but the problems clearly haven't been only isolated. But still all well at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭red_diesel

Have been having problems for a while now with connection dropping. They came out 3 times, changed router etc, still no joy. What I have noticed is that when I connected with my Samsung Android phone the connection would drop on my laptop and PC. I have not had any problems since I switched wireless off on my Android phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Been noticeably slow and intermittent for the past couple of weeks. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's dog slow. Often switching on and off the router works, other times not. Problems are more in the evenings. Was wondering if there are just more heavy users in the area... I'm on Scotch quay btw.

Was thinking of posting here myself because it's been perfect up till now.

Getting 20Mb/s down and 2Mb/s up when it's working normally, which doesn't correspond to any of the packages on the web... Should be 25Mb/s I think. Maybe I need to ring them to give me an upgrade...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Has anyone with the dropped connection determined whether it's a wireless fault or not? I used to have this a lot when they first hooked me up. The ethernet was fine, but wireless would keep changing the channel to AUTO which dropped me so often.

If your ethernet works fine, but wireless drops, check the modem online. You can do this in your web browser by typing in the IP address of the modem and when a box appears to enter a password, just hit ENTER. Then click on setup and scroll down to basic settings. The channel number will be in a drop-down box. It should be either 1, 6 or 11. I use 6. Once you set it to one of these, it should never revert to AUTO, unless you power off the modem I think. If it keeps reverting, as my original one did, then there is a fault with the wireless software in the modem.

I live in the Williamstown area. My speeds aren't great either lately and I'm regularly dropping connection during the day. It only drops for about a minute or less, but funnily enough I never see that the lights on the modem have dropped, so maybe again, it's a wireless fault. I wonder if they upgraded the software in the modems recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

gscully wrote: »
    Has anyone with the dropped connection determined whether it's a wireless fault or not? I used to have this a lot when they first hooked me up. The ethernet was fine, but wireless would keep changing the channel to AUTO which dropped me so often.

If your ethernet works fine, but wireless drops, check the modem online. You can do this in your web browser by typing in the IP address of the modem and when a box appears to enter a password, just hit ENTER. Then click on setup and scroll down to basic settings. The channel number will be in a drop-down box. It should be either 1, 6 or 11. I use 6. Once you set it to one of these, it should never revert to AUTO, unless you power off the modem I think. If it keeps reverting, as my original one did, then there is a fault with the wireless software in the modem.

I live in the Williamstown area. My speeds aren't great either lately and I'm regularly dropping connection during the day. It only drops for about a minute or less, but funnily enough I never see that the lights on the modem have dropped, so maybe again, it's a wireless fault. I wonder if they upgraded the software in the modems recently?

I had big problems like that with the router they give you. I bought a wireless switch, put the router into slave mode (or whatever) and used the switch for the wireless connection instead. Wireless does seem to be dodgy on their kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i use to have serious problems last year in stephen street in the old flat and the exchange point was right outside the apartment block.

i was on the 15 meg package and most days during peak times i was only getting between 2 and 5 megs, i rang upc told them im not getting what im paying for and that im being ripped of and they deducted money from my next 2 bills i think they halved the bills, but upc suffers a lot with congestion in certain areas.

your better of going with the next gen broadband if you want consistent speeds all day no matter what time it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

im starting to get really sick of this, I called them on thursday and they instructed me to change the channel in that cisco cable modem web address, this worked for a day and now its gone slow again,Ill have to ring them again tomorrow, if they dont sort it this time im going to cancel my direct debit and send them an email that I'm canceling and I wont be paying any 100 euro cancelation charge either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

For whats its work with I haven't had problems this weekend. It must just be an intermittent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

ugh it's the same with me, been really wreckin my head. I live out the Dunmore road, I found that it started around the tall ships weekend, I assumed they were taking advantage of the fact that more people would be out in town then in their homes on the net and they took that opertunaty to do some updateing or something, but it's been on and off since then, so fudging annoying.
    t'internet is either as slow as a snail or not working at all. grrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

im on 10mbps but am getting nearly 16mbps today ...anyone else ???:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Thankfully not with UPC. They seem to live at the top of Grantstown Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

achiman wrote: »
    im on 10mbps but am getting nearly 16mbps today ...anyone else ???:D

Im on the 10 aswell and did 2 speedtests yesterday after getting 2mbps in utorrent

First speedtest Down 14.5 Up 2, second on the dub server down 17 up 2.5

unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I got a SMS text message yesterday from UPC to say they have increased my broadband speed from 10mb to 20mb for free and all I had to do we turn on and off my modem for it to become active. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

I got a SMS text message yesterday from UPC to say they have increased my broadband speed from 10mb to 20mb for free and all I had to do we turn on and off my modem for it to become active. :)

same here happydays:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I am (hopefully was) having this issue. I changed the lease time (Under Basic Settings -> Lan IP Address Management) from 3600 to 999999999. I then changed the channel to 11 . I did this yesterday and the wireless seemed to still be working this morning.

I reckon there is an issue with the firmware on the modems. I said that to UPC Tech Support but they where having none of it. I know someone on an older firmware and they have no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

yep its the crap quality of the wireless devices UPC have that is the problem. I had the same problem and got sick of ringing them and then they would tell him same crap rehearsed speech saying the channels are switching but now it is fix. I think I heard that over 10 times before I stopped believing them. I work from home the odd time and having my connection dropping regularly became a problem.

Best thing to do is ring them up tell them you want the cable modem (no wireless). Then buy yourself a wireless router. Plug your ethernet cable from the modem into your router and your problems will disappear.

This is the one I bought
    http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT160N-Wireless-N-Broadband-Router/dp/B000Z3U1P6

yep its the crap quality of the wireless devices UPC have that is the problem. I had the same problem and got sick of ringing them and then they would tell him same crap rehearsed speech saying the channels are switching but now it is fix. I think I heard that over 10 times before I stopped believing them. I work from home the odd time and having my connection dropping regularly became a problem.

Best thing to do is ring them up tell them you want the cable modem (no wireless). Then buy yourself a wireless router. Plug your ethernet cable from the modem into your router and your problems will disappear.

This is the one I bought
    http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT160N-Wireless-N-Broadband-Router/dp/B000Z3U1P6

Do you know if you can do this if you have phone with UPC. My understanding is that you cannot bridge your modem if you have phone

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭deeks

Lads I noticed ye talking about not getting what you're paying for regarding download speeds. Might be a stupid question but how can I check what speed I'm operating at?

• Advertisement

deeks wrote: »
    Lads I noticed ye talking about not getting what you're paying for regarding download speeds. Might be a stupid question but how can I check what speed I'm operating at?

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

Advertisement