Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Internet problems in the city

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭deeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

sgarvan wrote: »
    gscully wrote: »
    Has anyone with the dropped connection determined whether it's a wireless fault or not? I used to have this a lot when they first hooked me up. The ethernet was fine, but wireless would keep changing the channel to AUTO which dropped me so often.

If your ethernet works fine, but wireless drops, check the modem online. You can do this in your web browser by typing in the IP address of the modem and when a box appears to enter a password, just hit ENTER. Then click on setup and scroll down to basic settings. The channel number will be in a drop-down box. It should be either 1, 6 or 11. I use 6. Once you set it to one of these, it should never revert to AUTO, unless you power off the modem I think. If it keeps reverting, as my original one did, then there is a fault with the wireless software in the modem.

I live in the Williamstown area. My speeds aren't great either lately and I'm regularly dropping connection during the day. It only drops for about a minute or less, but funnily enough I never see that the lights on the modem have dropped, so maybe again, it's a wireless fault. I wonder if they upgraded the software in the modems recently?

I am (hopefully was) having this issue. I changed the lease time (Under Basic Settings -> Lan IP Address Management) from 3600 to 999999999. I then changed the channel to 11 . I did this yesterday and the wireless seemed to still be working this morning.

I reckon there is an issue with the firmware on the modems. I said that to UPC Tech Support but they where having none of it. I know someone on an older firmware and they have no issues.

The above that I posted has not solved my issues. Router has gone back to Auto and cannot connect to it wirelessly without connecting the laptop to it with an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

An update on the above.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73397554&postcount=399

Also a large thread over on the Broadband forum about the UPC EPC2425 modem/router

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056146473

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, i know that the majority of ye will already know this, but for those who don't: when using wireless you're not going to get the speeds you're signed up for. Wireless is affected by hundreds of different things. Connect your laptop directly to the router using an ethernet cable and i guarantee you'll be getting close to what you pay for (you will rarely get what you pay for).

I've had UPC in 3 different places over the last 3 1/2 years, and they were by far the fastest and most reliable service, but i never used wireless. Unfortunately, i can't get UPC in the house i bought (what an overlook!!! And my neighbour 10 feet across from me can get it!! Grr!), so i have Imagine. It's more expensive, and slower, but i'm currently paying for 7mb, and with wireless i get about 2.5 to 3, 9mb through ethernet. Not good for my gaming needs, and seeing as my gameroom is upstairs i was kinda fookered.

Until i got Homehub. I highly recommend it to everyone. It uses the ground electrical wiring in your house to send the connection. You plug one into the socket (not through an extension lead/plug) and connect it to the router with en ethernet cable. The other Homeplug goes into a socket beside my consoles and connected to either with an ethernet cable. Get this: i'm getting 9mb download through it! It's as if the router is right beside the consoles. Could not recommend them more, and i have a set of Belkin ones which cost €109 in Pc World, but you can get them online for about €60 delivered now.

Advertisement