Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Not providing the internet package I signed up for

• 02-07-2011 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I am supposed to be getting 25mb fibre power broadband, I just did a speed test using there very own online speed checker and got 10.62 mbps for download speed and 15.17 mbps for upload speed, if this is the case should I be able to cancel without the 100 euro penalty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I am supposed to be getting 25mb fibre power broadband, I just did a speed test using there very own online speed checker and got 10.62 mbps for download speed and 15.17 mbps for upload speed, if this is the case should I be able to cancel without the 100 euro penalty?

First off, I want a screenshot. 15mbps upload? That's baddass!

And, if thats a typo, and its something far less:are you testing over Wifi or are you connected by Ethernet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What are actual download speeds from real-world usage like? E.g. try downloading this for a couple of minutes to see what sort of speed you're getting.ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/debian-cd/6.0.1-live/i386/iso-hybrid/debian-live-6.0.1-i386-kde-desktop.iso

Also, with 802.11g wifi, it will only deliver an actual maximum of 21 mbps in each direction when you get the "full speed" of 54 mbps. The rest is used up on overheads and other signalling. Long story short, test it with an ethernet cable connected to the UPC modem/router.

Check your speeds on www.speedtest.net too to see if there are any differences.

As for your question, even if you are only getting 10mbps in download speeds I doubt that will be grounds for terminating the contract before the minimum period. There's probably stuff about contention ratios and that the speeds delivered vary from time to time and external internet factors and so on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You cannot just cancel a contract peremptorily.

The supplier has to be given a reasonable chance to rectify problems.

If you consider that you are having problems with your isp then you need to report those problems to them and keep a careful record of all correspondence. Email rather than phone. If there have to be phone calls memo them with a date and the name of the person you spoke to.

If the supplier fails to or cannot rectify the problems and you decide to cancel the contract then make sure that in the written cancellation notice you detail why exactly you are cancelling.

Then if they pursue you in respect of the cancellation you will have a full written record of why exactly you acted as you did and you can be seen to have given them a reasonable chance to rectify the problem(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Cancelling a contract without giving the ISP time to resolve the issue is very short sighted tbh, ring them see what they can do without the knee jerk reaction

Shin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What the lads above have stated is correct, you have to report the issue and give them a chance to resolve it

In respect of dub45's comments, e-mail is all fine and well but it isn't always very practical to troubleshoot an issue via e-mail so calling UPC would be far better for this side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

I'm getting 19mb at times and it's usually around 15mb. I ran speediest before I got rid of eircom and it was 2 or 3mb max so in my case that's a big improvement. This is on wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Try the speed test from UPC http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

Plug your computer directly into their modem, rather than connect over wireless or through routers.

That will give you a clearer indication of what the max is of your connection.

I'm getting 19/3 from my 25 UPC connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

sf80 wrote: »
    Try the speed test from UPC http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

Plug your computer directly into their modem, rather than connect over wireless or through routers.

That will give you a clearer indication of what the max is of your connection.

I'm getting 19/3 from my 25 UPC connection

Speed test are not accurate. You are best using a previous suggestion of downloading an iso from heanet

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

This is my speed with an UPC 25 mb connection!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1473009159.png

Advertisement