Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FCUKIN HORSETAIL

Options
  • 02-07-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Howye.
    I've had it up tp my eyes with horsetail. Has anyone got rid of it? Tried roundup, dock off, boiling water, bleach ffs!!!! Digging it out made it worse believe it or not.
    I've googled and apparently its public enemy number one, around since before the fcekin dinosaurs!
    Someone advise, please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Nightmare, I agree. I've tried a mixture of roundup and a brushwood killer. Sometimes it seems to work better than others, but it does work - eventually.
    I try to crush/bruise the stems beforehand by walking on them but some are inaccessible.
    If anyone has a quick and reliable solution I'd love to hear it too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

My front garden was infested with horsetail. Then it started to come up in the driveway (2 years after being laid). I found vinegar to be the most effective remedy on the driveway. But as for the garden, it was a war.
    I moved house so cant give you the success story you want....The problem seems to be around drainage. It grows in badly drained areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greenart

What you need to do is bruise the plant by standing on it with your boot. Then apply roundup or similar systemic product to it concentrated using a paint brush and gloves of course. Succesive treatments may be nessecary to get rid of it. Eventully you will weaken it enough that it will die off completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wildgeordie

try diesel.
    it will kill it off . but nothing will grow there for abt 6-8 months it worked for me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Horsetail has a waxy cuticle on it, basically a skin covering it. You need to break that down using either a chemical compound or as a poster said above, physically.
    Diesel will do it but its not great for the soil, if you can find something along the lines of this; http://www.aerationsupply.com/catalog/pond-lake-care/aquatic-algaecides-herbicides/aquatic-liquid-herbicides/cide-kick-activator.html

Personally i found that if i hit the Horsetail once in the spring before the fronds unfurl as that is where the spores are (they are like bracken with spores rather than seeds) with a mix of Roundup and Garlon. I thit it again in the summer with the same mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Thanks lads for the replies. I'll try out these methods before I get a blow torch!!!

Advertisement