Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on semi auto rimfire rifles?

Options
  • 02-07-2011 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for opinions on a semi auto for shooting, targets but maybe in the future to shoot rabbits/vermin.

I know the ruger 10-22 seems to be mentioned a lot but are there any other opinions on other makes also? looking for opinions/comparison to the ruger 10-22 on, inherent problems, upgradeability, ability to modify sights/trigger pressure easily, plus any suggestions on things I may not have thought of/btought up here.

Hopefully get some replies :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Moved to main shooting forum as it falls under both target and hunting heading.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Hi,

There are only a couple that i can think of, the Ruger 10/22, the Browning Buckmark (Restricted) the Thompson and the Remington 597, there are others, but for normal target shooting, you cant have anything barrel fed, magazine fed only.

As regards reliability, upgradeability, triggers etc, there is only one real option and that in the Ruger, with a after market auto bolt release, and mag release it is usable, and if you work on or replace the trigger, very useable... all the others you will have some difficulty getting parts, and in some cases they just dont exist..

Now i am biased towards the Ruger :) but the newer models with 920 Match or hammer forged barrels are quite accurate also..

regards

DB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Scalachi wrote: »
    Hi,

There are only a couple that i can think of, the Ruger 10/22, the Browning Buckmark (Restricted) the Thompson and the Remington 597, there are others, but for normal target shooting, you cant have anything barrel fed, magazine fed only.

As regards reliability, upgradeability, triggers etc, there is only one real option and that in the Ruger, with a after market auto bolt release, and mag release it is usable, and if you work on or replace the trigger, very useable... all the others you will have some difficulty getting parts, and in some cases they just dont exist..

Now i am biased towards the Ruger :) but the newer models with 920 Match or hammer forged barrels are quite accurate also..

regards

DB

Hmm, I was thinking of steering away from a 10-22 but it seems it might be the best option really. Didnt realise Buckmark did a semi auto rifle,
    What is the auto bolt release? does that mean when a magazine is loaded the bolt closes?
    Do any of the semi autos have a "hold open device"after the last shot is fired?
    I've looked online and seen a marlin semi auto, any opinions also a CZ 511 or 512 likewise, opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Hi Merch,

the buckmark is quite popular, but is restricted due to its design as its a bullpup (stupid, stupid stupid law.), The Auto Bolt release means that with one single action you can let the slide go forward, instead of several on the factory (but is not automatic).

The Buckmark stays open (nearly certain) you can get a Butler Creek kit for the 10/22 to do the same, but you have to use specific mags... cant comment on the actions of the remington, thompson etc.

Re the CZ, had a 452 Style in the past, with a trigger job it was a great gun, but have no experience of their semi autos.

regards

DB

Thanks for the advice, ruger 10-22 seems to be a possibility,

• Advertisement

Best place to look for an auto? new and secondhand

looking at shoot.ie and maybe posting here, anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I had both the bolt action cz style and varmint in 22lr and both would shoot 1/2" groups @ 50m all day. But they need a trigger kit fitted, @15 euro, to make those small groups.

I now have a Ruger 10/22 that I got for the gallery shooting competitions and I'm really liking the semi-auto style of shooting. As said above with the Ruger you can customise every part until there's not an original Ruger part left on it.
    Look at the ruger section at the website www.rimfirecentral.com for all the info you could read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I used an Erma E M1 carbine .22 for target shooting. Was pretty nice:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_EM2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Have a look at a new Anscheutz SA.22lr .The MSR RX .22.
    It is new on the market for 2011.Built entirely from the ground up as a semi auto target rifle for ISSC shoots.Comes with a diopter and ring site,and a picitinny rail.Long barrel and as standard a folding stock,it looks abit like a civillan FN SCAR.
    Looks like it was built to try and tempt those who didnt want the Nth power Ruger10/22 design,or the 1500th AR15.22lr design.

Proably be restricted here under the Idoanlikedelookodat Act,as it has a pistol grip and folding stock and a 10 rounder.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I shoot a ruger 10/22 a dsp model. The only tweaking so far (note the word so far:D) is the buffer bolt and automatic bolt release. It likes
    Eley
    Winchester and
    CCI sub sonics

And with any of these I can clover or ragged a whole at 30 yards (5 shots) at 50 she is spreading to around a 1"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Merch wrote: »
    I'm looking for opinions on a semi auto for shooting, targets but maybe in the future to shoot rabbits/vermin.

I know the ruger 10-22 seems to be mentioned a lot but are there any other opinions on other makes also? looking for opinions/comparison to the ruger 10-22 on, inherent problems, upgradeability, ability to modify sights/trigger pressure easily, plus any suggestions on things I may not have thought of/btought up here.

Hopefully get some replies :)

Merch,
    Given your constraints: semi auto, rabbits/vermin targets, upgradeability, and modifications, the Ruger 10/22 is the best choice.

I have a few and find they are grand for what I ask of them.

If you feel like spending some cash and throwing on a match barrel, trigger kit, and more, they will shoot just as well as a bolt action in the same price range.

I doubt there is any other rifle for which parts and accessories is more available.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

ruger 10/22all the way:)

Looks like maybe a 10/22 basic and then upgrade from there,

other options look interesting (erma) but I think it appears the ruger has the advantage of availability of parts which might make it cheaper/easier to upgrade too.
    It also seems that they are reliable/dont have many/any?? inherent problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

Rather than getting a basic ruger and then starting to upgrade it I'd go semi custom from the start.

In my opinion a bull barrel is a must to stop overheating if you want to shoot 50+ rounds which you will for the fun of it.

You'll also want a decent stock that suits you.

Rimfiremagic.co.uk is a good place to look at options although one of our local dealers or gunsmiths could do the work for you.

A decent semi custom job would cost around 800 euro or there are good ones going for sale from time to time on this forum for around 500 second hand

Best of luck

@jingo
    Thanks,
    A bull barrel is heavier? is it shorter also?

I see on line at duffys they have a remington 597 at €340 which has a longer barrel 20" opposed to the rugers 18.5"
    and a CZ 512 (which for some reason I like the look of) except it has no open sights, but maybe uses the same magazines as the 452??

I've heard it mentioned there is room for maneuver with duffy's prices as they have been there a while

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

Bull barrel is heavier but its fine on a ruger
    in my opinion. Not necessarily shorter - it depends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Mate of mine had a 10/22 stainless bull barrel with a target Crown and it was very accurate @50 yards
    I could have done with one last night, when I was looking at 15 rabbits in a 50 yard radius, and I only a .308.

I miss my Ruger 10/22, she was very useful for odd job like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Merch wrote: »
    @jingo
    Thanks,
    A bull barrel is heavier? is it shorter also?

I see on line at duffys they have a remington 597 at €340 which has a longer barrel 20" opposed to the rugers 18.5"
    and a CZ 512 (which for some reason I like the look of) except it has no open sights, but maybe uses the same magazines as the 452??

I've heard it mentioned there is room for maneuver with duffy's prices as they have been there a while

You don't need a long barrel on a .22lr as the propelent is burned out in the first 8"-12" anyway. They are only made with a long barrel as tradition demands it. If I were you I would be going for the shorter rather than the longer barrel. It makes it a lot easier to handle and when hunting along hedge rows and such as you would be hunting rabbits. Climbing threw ditches and so on. A shorter barrel is really a joy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Mate of mine had a 10/22 stainless bull barrel with a target Crown and it was very accurate @50 yards
    I could have done with one last night, when I was looking at 15 rabbits in a 50 yard radius, and I only a .308.

I miss my Ruger 10/22, she was very useful for odd job like that

should have had a go any way...1 would have been blown to peices but the other 14 would have died of fright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

4gun wrote: »
    should have had a go any way...1 would have been blown to peices but the other 14 would have died of fright :D

Shot a few bunnies while out with the .308 near my section 42.
    Testing Zero :D
    It's still bang on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

my 2c worth, I have the remmy 597 for a few yrs, cost bout 270 euro new, and I will never ever sell it. Like an extension of my body at this stage.
    No one will admit it but shooting a semi 22 is easily the most shooting fun you can have, rounds are dirt cheap so you can empty mags as quick as u like and not cringe at the expense of it. have 5 mags for it, ordered online for 15 dollars each. Its as tough as old boots. Loads of aftermarket stuff for them now, I have a volquartsen trigger and nice stock from stocky stocks. It has an odd failure to feed but its cos the mags get waxed up from some types of ammo, just slap the mag bottom and rack the slide back and off u go again. With eley subsonics it kills crows and rabbits at 100 yds so plenty accurate, even as it must have seen 1000's of rounds at this stage, I buy in 500 rd bricks for handiness. I have the 308 & shotty, but I use the little remmy almost every day.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

roosman wrote: »
    No one will admit it but shooting a semi 22 is easily the most shooting fun you can have, rounds are dirt cheap so you can empty mags as quick as u like and not cringe at the expense of it.

I'll admit it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

It's what's known as Trigger happy hour

Advertisement