Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good, large racing sim with lots of customization options.

Options
  • 02-07-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

So, I've really gotten into racing games lately and have been planning to buy a wheel for them (open to suggestions for this, max 60-70 can be spent on it), but what PC racing sims are there that have lots of customisation options and lots of different types of cars?

I've heard people recommend rFactor and GTR Evo and more, but I really am clueless as to what is best.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

rfactor and the GTR series use the same engine with a few tweaks here and there.
    Basically anything from simbin and or ISI are using the same engine Gmotor engine.
    Physics are pretty similar with some tweaks here and there.
    rfactor has literally thousands of mods, check out rfactorcentral.com for lots of mods.
    If you want lots and lots of cars then that would be my option but you will need to be prepared to search and research for what cars/mods you want, ths site i just linked has simplified things a lot and has their top series and tracks sections where is a decent place to start.
    GTR 1 and 2 are focused on the FIA GT series therefore is only GT cars.
    GT Legends is GT cars from 60`s 70`s and 80`s also using the Gmotor engine.
    With GTR evo simbin broadened things with world touring cars, formula BMW etc thrown into the mix.
    If you want lots of cars out of the box id probably go with GTRevo or shift 2, however while shift 2 is superior graphically its physics are not quite up to the likes of GTR,GTRevo,rfactor etc but will give you tonnes of cars and tracks out of the box.

If you want to take arguably a step up in terms of physics then consider live for speed [ liveforspeed.net].
    If you want to experience the ultimate in sim racing then iracing cannot be recommended highly enough, simply nothing touches it in terms of physics,controlled online racing,BUT its very expensive if you want to race in more than a few series.
    Check out iracing.com, its massively vast and deep, its a virtual racing career effectively where you will race against everything from racing rokies to real life racing professionals.
    iracing.com will explain more and better than i ever could :)

Also worth considering is netkar pro.

Heres some sites that may help you along the way,be sure to checkout the forums.

http://www.virtualr.net/
    http://www.nogripracing.com/
    http://www.racesimcentral.com/news/
    http://www.racedepartment.com/content/
    http://www.insidesimracing.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Sounds like I'll get GTR Evo then, are there any practice modes in it?

EDIT: Still unsure about a wheel though, any ones that you would recommend for around €70?

Sounds like I'll get GTR Evo then, are there any practice modes in it?

EDIT: Still unsure about a wheel though, any ones that you would recommend for around €70?

Yes practice all you like, configure and costumise your racing weekend whatever way you like.
    As for a wheel on that budget im not sure, maybe the logitech driving force ? i think its about €90 in argos or something , again im not sure.

TIP GTR evo may be very cheap some day during this weeks steam sale.

Dcully wrote: »
    Yes practice all you like, configure and costumise your racing weekend whatever way you like.
    As for a wheel on that budget im not sure, maybe the logitech driving force ? i think its about €90 in argos or something , again im not sure.

TIP GTR evo may be very cheap some day during this weeks steam sale.

Is the Driving Force GT not just for PS3?

Nope its for pc also afaik, usb connectivity.

• Advertisement

Nope its for pc also afaik, usb connectivity.

Ah good, I guess I'll start saving up for it so :)

Ah good, I guess I'll start saving up for it so :)

Id suggest trying to get a G25 second hand if you can at all , there was quite a few offloaded when the G27 was released.
    G25 is vastly superior to the DFP.

Id suggest trying to get a G25 second hand if you can at all , there was quite a few offloaded when the G27 was released.
    G25 is vastly superior to the DFP.

I will if I can, I can see one on Adverts, but I'll have to see how much money I can save up.

I will if I can, I can see one on Adverts, but I'll have to see how much money I can save up.

If you can at all its worth it in the long run if your getting into the simracing world.

Advertisement