Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

negotiating rent question

Options
  • 02-07-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

viewed a house on thur with an estate agent that i really liked..ticks all right boxes for me...its in glanmire area of cork...its a two bed townhouse and its 850 a month which i think is way too expensive as many of the three beds in the area are 850 and this is a two bed...anyways...my question is..when negotiating rent..do i let the landlord get back to me with a lower price or do i have to put a figure in there myself and see what he says???new to renting so please help

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends on how desperate the landlord is to let the place to be honest with you.

Get a list of property in the immediate area (and I mean immediate area= nothing a mile down the road etc)- and have this list along with their asking prices ready to negotiate with the landlord.

If he/she says the rent is 850/month take it or leave it- well, you don't have anything to bargain with other than acting on your threat to leave it- and take another of the properties in the area at a lesser price.

In general- if the house is only recently vacant, the landlord may be less willing to negotiate on the rent, than on a property that has been vacant for a period of time.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained- but be prepared to walk if you can't get the price into your desired price range.

Advertisement