Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hebe stuck in pot !!

Options
  • 02-07-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I put two lovely hebe's a varigated purple and pink one each in a quite large earthenware pot that I put in, years ago on my gravel. Went to move them the other day and unfortunately the roots went right through the pot into the ground. I mananged to gently pull the roots away from the soil/gravel. Now however I have the predicament of trying to prise the plants out of the pots.
    The pots are lovely and I dont want to have to break them to get the plants out. How can I gently pull the plant and long roots out of the pots. After that I think I will plant them in the ground altogether :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Much will depend on the size of the plants etc. I've had similar instances in the past and one of the problems is that the roots can be "knotted" outside of the pot and won't come out easily. You may need to get a sharp knofe and sever them, but try prising them out first. Then plant them immediately and water well - don't feed as it may put too much stress on the plant. Should be ok but keep an eye and keep it watered for a while.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thanks for that I wasnt sure if I could cut the roots at the bottom I think it will be a two man job as the pots are big earthenware ones would soaking them in warm water help ease them out as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

miss choc wrote: »
    Thanks for that I wasnt sure if I could cut the roots at the bottom I think it will be a two man job as the pots are big earthenware ones would soaking them in warm water help ease them out as well?

Definitely not in warm water anyway. I'd be inclined to let them get a bit dry before you go near them - the roots and soil will shrink and should come away from the pot more easily. Then you can water the plant and soil well when you replant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

First cut the surplus trailing roots and then you could try to hose or power wash the rootball to remove as much soil as possible from plant's rootball, making it easier to extract plant from pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

I would go with Lottpaul's suggestion. You want to remove them with the least amount of trauma. Using a sufficiently long knife cut round the plant down to the base then tip the pot upside down on something like a wooden bench to allow the plant to drop out. Gently tap the lip of the pot against the bench ( or anything no too solid that wont shatter the pot ) and catch the plant as it slides out. You can push a cane through the drain hole for greater leverage. If its a big pot you might need assistance. One pot holder, one plant holder! If they are unglazed terracotta you might want to dampen the outside surface to help absorb the impact of the tapping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement