Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance with wrong reg...

Options
  • 02-07-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

basically checked the insurance on my girlfriends car and the reg on the disc was different from the reg on the car.

She is 100% she gave the right details on the phone to the broker, its out of date in 3 weeks anyway and shes not getting insured again as we're heading to Australia soon.

Wondering would she of been insured if she had a accident or would they have said she wasn't insured?

And could she get some/all of her money back?

Also the reg that is on the disc is for a similar car but could the insurance crowd look for more money....?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

It depends. If her reg was 10X14325 and her disc was 10X13425 or similar, it would probably be put down to clerical error, but if she was 10X98745 then the chances of a clerical error would be small and very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

why do you think she would even be able to get some money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

peteb2 wrote: »
    why do you think she would even be able to get some money back?

@ peteb2----Why dont you read my post again, I clearly ask could she get some money back, and why post something that is totally unhelpful.

If you have nothing good to add dont add it.

And further more before I posted my OP my girlfriend went into the local garda station and the guard said more than likely if you were in a crash the insurance would find a way not to pay out, and he knows of plenty of people who got all or some of there insurance money back, when they complained.

Also the reg is of the same year and county but the last 3 numbers are mixed up, but even still if it is anyway wrong the insurance company can choose not to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

If she thought that she **could** have got money back, then you are effectively saying she's been driving uninsured - which is against the law. I'm not being unhelpful, im just asking the question.

No offence to Gardai but they don't have sufficient knowledge of the insurance industry to make sweeping generalisations such as that. Gardai show up at the scene of accidents to ensure no-one broke the law. They openly admit they are not there to determine liability - because they cant!

A guard might know of a mate who told them about someone in the pub that had a claim declined, just like anyone else would. As already pointed out. And nobody gets money back because of a clerical error in the printing of their disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rightyabe wrote: »
    Wondering would she of been insured if she had a accident or would they have said she wasn't insured?

And could she get some/all of her money back?

Unlikely that she would get her money back, they will probably say that it was a clerical error and in the event of a claim, if the reg. no. was the only discrepancy then they would pay out.

Someone who was charged with drunken driving a few years ago came up with a technical loophole which they thought would get them off. In the Road Traffic Act section dealing with drunken driving there was a reference to Part IV of the act, it should have referred to Part V. The case went all the way to the Supreme Court which held that it was a palpable error i.e. it was so obvious what was intended that the error in typing could be overlooked given that the intention of the Oireachtas was clear. The case went back to the District Court with instructions to convict because that was the only defence and the District Justice had told the appeal courts that the prosecution had otherwise proved their case.

The case would be relevant to your situation because it would show that a simple clerical error cannot invalidate what would would otherwise be a straightforward insurance policy.

In your case there is only one car but two different registration numbers, clearly your GF and the insurance company intend for the policy to cover the car she is driving so just because the disc doesn't have the exact reg. no does not mean she is not covered.
    rightyabe wrote: »
    Also the reg that is on the disc is for a similar car but could the insurance crowd look for more money....?

Can you clarify what you're asking here please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

If its the insurance companys mistake and you crash then the liability for the mistake is on them however you do get a policy in the post for your review. You wont get a penny back for a mistake on thier part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It's a clerical error, you were insured, you are not entitled to any money back.

I've never heard of an insurer trying to refute a claim on those grounds. As long as the vehicle is accurately declared to insurers and the reg number is very close to correct, the claim would be paid. If it was declined, some solicitor would make a few easy quid for himself representing you in court

Advertisement