Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so who's not passing on the new VAT rate benefits to the customer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good post dannie. Well done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

After reading the Revenue site, I'm still not entirely sure whether freshly made sandwiches should be at the reduced rate or not (even though I should know:o)

If they are, I know a shop/deli that are not reducing the price of a lunchtime baguette (and have in fact got rid of a special deal on them since the schools finished:().

If its confirmed that the reduced rate applies to a hot chicken breast baguette or wrap, I'll name and shame, otherwise, my apologies to all deli shops in Donegal.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

GF said the Cafe in the new Dunnes Stores have reduced their prices, haven't been anywhere else to check really

Headin to cinema tonight, will I see ya chained to the fence Dannie? :D Father Ted style protesting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

IPAM wrote: »
    Headin to cinema tonight, will I see ya chained to the fence Dannie? :D Father Ted style protesting :p

in this weather not a chance, more of a keyboard warrior nights like this!

http://donegalvatchange.blogspot.com/

Threw this together, i'll keep adding adding to it though don't worry NAME AND SHAME :D

• Advertisement

crikey phoning people is costly. me thinks a walk through town could be in order!

Well done on the blog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Cafe Magnolia in Letterkenny state on their FB page that they've lowered their prices (but I've not been there yet to confirm)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Looks like Century Cinemas have now reduced their prices-or so the website claims anyway! Heading there shortly so will see

ETA Looks like the reductions dont kick in until the 15th-should have stayed on the site a bit longer(or paid attention)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

Looks like Century Cinemas have now reduced their prices-or so the website claims anyway! Heading there shortly so will see

ETA Looks like the reductions dont kick in until the 15th-should have stayed on the site a bit longer(or paid attention)

Well done to anyone who kept asking them "why not"

People Power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I worked in a business in the run up to the euro changeover, although it was known further in advance, that was also announced in advance, tils are mostly electronic and can be changed across a business at once.

At Euro changeover, we started showing both price rates way before euro was available and for a while afterwards, all the technology was in place from then to make this easy to implement. Also look at how many pubs/restaurants etc can easily change their prices for €3 drinks for example on a given night. I have programmed old cash registers, the new ones can be all reprogrammed instantly from one over a network throughout the whole building, even easier when you are doing just the VAT part

A big problem with the eventual changeover in euro and in this case is that the difference is small but requires huge amounts of change, businesses pay banks extra for change and its annoying to deal with for everyone. By rounded up I mean say a 5% or 10% reduction to boost sales with the 4% Vat Reduction taking some of the sting

Businesses, had in my opinion notice of this, could have used to notice to prepare for a rounded up, face saving reduction scheme to encourage business.

If it is not seen to be taken up, the government will repeal the reduction, hitting those who comply and consumers.

Its likely that lots of businesses will pocket the difference, quite easily by showing the new VAT Rate on your receipt and declaring that VAT rate on their accounts but not changing the end purchaser price, which as Muffler has said is not required by law as such.

Printing new menus is not an excuse though for not applying, reduction should be applied at the Til and businesses that this applies to should be glad of the initiative

The whole thing in someways was very very badly thought out, no mandatory compliance, not big enough reduction to make it attractive or viable for businesses, though businesses that heavily trade with plastic, like restuarants have no excuse.

But most businesses in these sectors would probably rather the government tackled Rents and Rates which would get less public headlines or support yet make many more businesses viable

Good post mistermouse but it would be more appropriate for some other thread or perhaps a different forum.

I posted this earlier
    We sorta have the ifs, buts and whys out of the way so if anyone wants to post up the names of any other establishments who aren't passing on the savings then please do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

mc donalds in lk had the reduced rate the day the minister announced it, fair play to them, a meal used to cost 8.50 now its 8.25. still a far cry from the north where the exact same meal is 4.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

The Donegal News has not reduced their price... drop the editor a line editor@donegalnews.com

donegalboy wrote: »
    The Donegal News has not reduced their price... drop the editor a line editor@donegalnews.com
    Sent an email earlier.

Advertisement