Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling in new job

Options
  • 02-07-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently started a new job in an office based environment and I'm making a number of petty mistakes. Though in ordinary circumstances I would write these off as growing pains, my new job is quite high pressure, with good salary, and my new boss is a pedantic (expletive). I'm at a bit of a loose end as my employer is known as someone who sacks somebody if they aren't performing. I'm becoming panic stricken (I've always been a calm stress free person) and am in mortal fear of getting fired, which would literally make me homeless and destitute.

Now I know I'm a competant person and that these little petty mistakes will disappear once I'm familiar with the systems and the job itself. But it will take time and I'm terrified my boss won't grant it to me. I'm also worried that my anxiety is self defeating - the more I worry the more likely I am to make mistakes. The more time I spend checking and double checking my work the more likely my brain physically won't allow me to see the mistakes present.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

"and am in mortal fear of getting fired, which would literally make me homeless and destitute."

What about the dole , SW etc?
    I think this is the anxiety talking. Try and write down exactly what your worrying about , and see how realistic it is , and see what you can do if that worst case happens.

In work , try breathing at a normal rate , and notice if your breathing quicker. This can be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xximpxx

my bf is in a similar situation. He's working in a new field and his boss is a really angry person. He is constantly putting my bf down telling him is work is rubbish, when is coworkers tell him he's on the right track and has some good ideas. his boss explodes over every little thing and rings other staff to come back from lunch early to fix the coffee machine for him.
    my bf is looking for new jobs but in the mean time his self confidence had taken a major hit and its affecting his life outside work. he's a smart guy and takes constructive criticism well. but now he's afraid to show any initiative at work because he thinks he will be yelled at in a humiliating way.

does anyone have any advice on how i can get him to stay positive until he gets something new?

Advertisement