Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3d Modelling game dev and matlab PC build

Options
  • 02-07-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    Kinda out of the loop lately on hardware, but need some advice on a config. Probably looking at getting it built at hardwareversand.

If it is possible to have something that is good for video encoding, photo editing and photoshop, computer simulation, 3d modelling and rendering, but probably struggles with Crysis 2 at a lower price that would be great. I play games, but not much, and I couldn't justify spending heavily for games. I'm getting into game design as a hobby, and use matlab a bit also. I wouldn't break the bank, but I'd spend more in the 3d modelling direction than for gaming alone. Thing is, I'd prefer to have the option to upgrade to a decent cpu/video configuration in a year or 2 rather than spend for top of the range now.

I suppose where I'm going is, if I got a reasonably priced, decent spec'd machine, would it be possible to go more workstationy down the line. From reading posts on here, it looks like this isn't just a function of video card, but also the processor and hdd.

I've never overclocked anything and am aware of risks but interested in configs where it's viable also.

Price range I'd like to peak around 800-1000.

Important:
    Being able to upgrade in about 2-3 years
    Fast boots
    Space for hard drives
    Responsiveness and Quick app load times
    I don't like closing apps or tabs and use hibernate a lot
    Wireless - wireless in my dell inspiron 1501 is fine, but i need wifi and preferably not on a dongle.

Things that don't matter to me:
    Don't need any support for 3d movies
    Size isn't a concern at all
    bluray
    have a monitor and speakers
    soundcard - bog standard will do
    need an SD Card reader - bog standard, only SD cards

Maybes:
    Bluetooth
    USB 3 - don't have anything that uses it yet but wouldn't mind the option.
    Linux support isn't crucial, but if you know certain configs have poor driver support for linux please let me know.

Cheers

Advertisement