Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor/Garden Room

Options
  • 02-07-2011 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Our children are getting to the wonderful teenage years and we are fighting the age-old battle re. giving them a bit of freedom while keeping them in our sights!

Looking at perhaps putting up an external/garden room so they can have friends over and have a bit of space to themselves. Ideally looking for something that'll take a couch, tv, pool table etc.

Just wondering if anyone else has done something similar and what kind of prices you'd be looking at. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Hi,

Done some more research since I posted this.

Looks like any pre-fab sheds are too small for what I'm looking for. I reckon I'd be looking at a brick-built garage of 24 by 24 foot, maybe with some attic space upstairs (potentially for an additional room).

Can anyone advise how the attic space is included in the square footage calculation?
    Also wondering if anyone would have any indications on cost per square foot for such a build - note that the structure would need to be fully insulated. Would also be looking at tapping into the existing central heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,041 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have a client who is proposing to build a 1.5 storey store. Its 6 x 4m on both floors with the upper floor having a wallplate height of 1.70m. Prestressed floor slabs, insulated roof panels and 330mm insulated cavity walls (rigid board) and insulated ground floor. As its for commercial use the contract will be for everything including painting.

The contract price is €33,500 + vat. Just to note thats in Donegal

Hopefully that helps a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Thanks for that muffler, much appreciated.

Not sure yet if I'd go with the attic space. Looks like I'll need to get plans drawn up so I can tender it (and see if it's affordable) prior to seeking planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,041 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You could draw up a little sketch yourself and include the basic details such as overall size including height, number and size/type of windows and doors, type of floors/walls/roof and level of insulation required. You could also include approx. details of plumbing/heating/lighting.

Fire it out to 3 or 4 builders and explain you are just looking for an approx. price before you proceed to planning stage.

Advertisement