Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glee in the O2

Options
  • 02-07-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

So ... what did you think ?

We went to the matinee - am I going blind or was "Quinn" not in the cast ?

Rocking show anyways - "Britney" was fantastic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

Diana Argon, who plays Quinn, tweeted in London that she wasn't well and couldn't make some of the shows. I presumed she's still ill or recovering, she definately wasn't there today!

Loved the show, even if the crowd were a bit dead, but I suppose that was to be expected at a matinee performance, there were so many kids! Was surprised there was no type of opening act, they could have done with someone to warm the crowd up!

Other than that I thought it was amazing. I'd single out Chris Colfer, who plays Kurt, not for his singing but his stage presence and making the effort to interact with the fans and have a bit of banter. It's that sort of stuff that makes the show memorable, otherwise I could just listen to the music for much less than the cost of a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Diana Argon, who plays Quinn, tweeted in London that she wasn't well and couldn't make some of the shows. I presumed she's still ill or recovering, she definately wasn't there today!

Loved the show, even if the crowd were a bit dead, but I suppose that was to be expected at a matinee performance, there were so many kids! Was surprised there was no type of opening act, they could have done with someone to warm the crowd up!

Other than that I thought it was amazing. I'd single out Chris Colfer, who plays Kurt, not for his singing but his stage presence and making the effort to interact with the fans and have a bit of banter. It's that sort of stuff that makes the show memorable, otherwise I could just listen to the music for much less than the cost of a ticket!
    Don't think the 35 minute late start helped the crowd either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hamstring

How long did the show last for in total?

long_b wrote: »
    Hamstring wrote: »
    How long did the show last for in total?

About an hour and ten minutes

About an hour and ten minutes

Whaaaaaaaaaat???? Seriously is that all? No warm up act or anything? My 2 nieces & their friend are being brought up from Limk tomorrow...long way to go for 1hr 10 min show!!!

• Advertisement

Hamstring wrote: »
    Whaaaaaaaaaat???? Seriously is that all? No warm up act or anything? My 2 nieces & their friend are being brought up from Limk tomorrow...long way to go for 1hr 10 min show!!!

That's an hour and ten of Glee goodness now - it didn't seem that short.

Am sure they'll love it....no matter how long....i think their driver might be that impressed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Lads, think there was supposed to be a dance act on before. We were chatting to the staff before and this is what they told us, the whole thing was supposed to finish around 4.45.

So ... what did you think ?

We went to the matinee - am I going blind or was "Quinn" not in the cast ?

Rocking show anyways - "Britney" was fantastic

Britney awesome dancer, loved the Warblers. Anyone get a barf bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Just back from bringing the rest of the family to the evening show. I didnt go myself. While they enjoyed it they were very surprised at how short the show was. There was a very good dance act for about twenty mins first. The main show started at about 9pm and finished at 10:20pm. There were many songs they wanted to hear that were not played such as Proud mary, Rumours songs, Living on A Prayer etc.

Regarding the crowd being dead according to a previous poster my daughter told me that anyone that stood up to a song was promptly told to sit down by security. We had 4 tickets, 2 in Block H at about 150euro for 2 and 2 in block A that we bought at the last moment privately that were originaly 170euro for 2. The expensive Block A tickets turned out to be resitricted view with the security also adding to the restriction in view for good matter.

While they enjoyed the show I dont t think they regarded it to be very memorable........I just compare it to artists like Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney etc etc that do give value for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Tiramisu

The show was way too short at only 1hr 20mins for an 85 Euro ticket, very bad value for money. Travelled a six hour round trip to bring kids to see it, total rip of IMO but they thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tiramisu wrote: »
    The show was way too short at only 1hr 20mins for an 85 Euro ticket, very bad value for money. Travelled a six hour round trip to bring kids to see it, total rip of IMO but they thoroughly enjoyed it.

My wife reckons that it was short to facilitate a matinee AND evening show. Pity the prices didnt reflect that. She also said the the teacher Mr Schuster wasnt there also, I am not an expert so dont know what impact that would have on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

Thought it was a great show, but for the price of the ticket they could have played for another half hour. So many songs they didnt do. They played for about 55mins then left the stage so encore was another 15/20mins.

Was fantastic that the warblers were there too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

look, I wasn't at the show, and with that i wouldn't normally comment - but seriously folks, get your heads out of the clouds, this event was a complete rip off - even if what they did in the time they played was amazing - that's really not value for money......

you have to remember that this is an ensemble group - not an individual, there's no excuses with regards to the Matinee and Evening shows for that precise reason, nobody is being over worked vocally........

I think we've been quite lucky here in the last few years with musical acts that give total value for money, 3hr shows, sometimes 3 band bills where they have all played full sets etc.............I know this is a musical show rather than a band, but they really should be giving more for what they are asking in ticket prices................

rant over......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 naomi6297

I was there yesterday afternoon and definately felt it was very bad value for money. I'm sorry but they are making a fortune from a show thats only 70 mins long. I'll think twice before i ever bring my children to a show like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

The show was very short - I was at the Saturday matinee. I was on booking tickets on the morning they were released, you didn't really have a say on what day/time you went as they were selling out so fast.

I really thought, as it was such a big cast and they have six (+ The Warblers) CDs worth of music, that it would be a close to a two hour show with all the messing of leaving the stage and coming back for encores etc. I had a look at the setlists for the UK shows and we got pretty much the same as them, the girl that plays Quinn was sick but "Tina" did an extra song. Someone said there was a dance group on beforehand - they should have been at the matinee too, if there was a technical hitch they should have said that. They were very close to being booed onto the stage with the amount of adverts at the start.

What they did do was very good, The Warblers were excellent - even they could have done a longer set.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

It didn't bother me that the show was 1hour 20 mins what annoyed me more I went to Sat evening show it said doors open 6:30 show at 8pm, we got there at 7:50 and then the show started at 8:10 with dancers LXD for 20 mins but then it was 30 mins before they come on stage it was way too long -I saw people with 4 and 5 small kids it was ridiculous IMHO. I had 2 kids with me daughter 13 and a son 10 he had no patience what so ever so I can't imagine other people with younger kids and imagine beginning there early for the 6:30 open and waiting till 9 for the show I have to say it took the good out of it for me.MCD its not good enough I was going to post it on their FB page but you can't post to their wall I wonder why!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,666 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Went to the Saturday night show and tbh I was disappointed with the lack of Puck and Sam solos and no Mr. Schu and also the length of the show - the tickets were very dear and I expected a 2 hour show at least

The merchandise was also a rip off

Oh but my nieces loved the show

No one was allowed to stand up but the atmosphere was still great

The stairs are bloody lethal in the O2

I called the O2 beforehand and the recording said that the evening Glee show started at 8pm and finished at 11pm!! I left my family off aroud 6:30pm and lined myself up to return @ 10:45pm. However the early finish meant the kids were left waiting around. Not a big deal but the message from O2 still says that the show finishes at 11pm when it should be amended to say the correct time.

These people are getting big money (over 1euro per person per minute) and they should get these things right.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Went to the Saturday night show and tbh I was disappointed with the lack of Puck and Sam solos and no Mr. Schu and also the length of the show - the tickets were very dear and I expected a 2 hour show at least

We stood up a few times, but the security were all over us, I couldn't believe how quiet everyone was around us. Although I thought the show was good I wasn't blown away by it, especially since the reaction from the UK shows was good.

Re merchandise, cousin ended up buying t shirt outside for a tenner.

• Advertisement

I didn't feel like standing up to be honest but I've been to the O2 to concerts before and it bull**** about sitting down I stand if I want to stand and I don't mind those idiots telling me to sit down . Actually the last concert I was at was JLS in the O2 with my 13 year old no one was sitting they tried to get people to sit but if there's large numbers its tough. Its not likes its an Opera or a stage show Its a Concert you should be able to dance if you want.
    Sorry for the rant but I've been enough times to the O2 to put up with the crap of telling you to sit and then checking to see if anyone is filming it.
    The merchandise is one of the most expensive I've seen yet some T-shirts €30:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Aprilmay wrote: »

I didn't feel like standing up to be honest but I've been to the O2 to concerts before and it bull**** about sitting down I stand if I want to stand and I don't mind those idiots telling me to sit down . Actually the last concert I was at was JLS in the O2 with my 13 year old no one was sitting they tried to get people to sit but if there's large numbers its tough. Its not likes its an Opera or a stage show Its a Concert you should be able to dance if you want.
    Sorry for the rant but I've been enough times to the O2 to put up with the crap of telling you to sit and then checking to see if anyone is filming it.
    The merchandise is one of the most expensive I've seen yet some T-shirts €30:eek:

Any concert I have ever been to and bought a t shirt at has been 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

flutegirl wrote: »
    Lads, think there was supposed to be a dance act on before. We were chatting to the staff before and this is what they told us, the whole thing was supposed to finish around 4.45.

There was no dance act for the first matinee because from what I heard, costumes were left in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Tonight people could stand, so much so that we couldn't see the stage. Thus was from the first song on. Security did nothing - I don't mind standing at the end but it was totally unfair on children who couldn't see a thing. We spent 89 per ticket. Sad to say, It was bad value in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

PcAngel wrote: »
    Tonight people could stand, so much so that we couldn't see the stage. Thus was from the first song on. Security did nothing - I don't mind standing at the end but it was totally unfair on children who couldn't see a thing. We spent 89 per ticket. Sad to say, It was bad value in my opinion.
    Same, was way too short. That support act was a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Was at the Saturday night show, bought tickets on the Friday (they must have released some that had been returned or something?) on a whim when I saw there was some still onsale.

I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed, particularly by the ridiculous waiting time between the crappy warm up act and them coming on stage. The quote board things were on loop and kept repeating, was really annoying. Plus I had a gang of ignorant drunk couples (late 20's age, I'd say) up from Cork or something behind me yelling and being idiots, hitting my gf on the head with foam fingers and all sorts. My jacket had Smirnoff Ice all down the sleeve when I put it on after the gig...

Once it started it was really good, they are all very good singers live, you have to admit. Was really disappointed that Diana Agron wasn't there, would have been nice to have told us why... It finished around 10, I was in disbelief! Yes, they came on for an encore of about 20 minutes, but still...

Deffo +1 for Chris Colfer and Heather Morris, they got the crowd involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,666 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

mars bar wrote: »
    Any concert I have ever been to and bought a t shirt at has been 30 euro.

30 euros for a kids tshirt or vest is steep imo

A bit (probably unfairly) raging that "Quinn" made it to Sunday's shows :eek:

30 euros for a kids tshirt or vest is steep imo

Yes I thought so too I've bought "Youth" T-shirts for my daughter in the past.I think she got a youths at JLS for €22 -I had both kids with me for glee no way was I forking out 60.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KMax

I went to the matinee on Saturday with hubby and 3 kids, we travelled from Cork especially for the show - I had bought the tickets months ago and paid away bit by bit - about 425 euro. We were told that the show was to start at 2pm and we were there about 1.30pm - they started putting up quotes and pictures of the case at around 2.15pm -there was messing around with "cheerios" giving out "barf" bags which went on for too long but no warm up act as such. I think- the cast themselves didnt start until 2.40pm or thereabouts. They finished at 3.50p.m. To be fair while they were on it was high energy all the way - "Quinn" was not there - my kids were starting to get tired before it even started they were waiting so long. My youngest actually fell asleep for the last quarter of an hour or so as I think he waited too long and was very hot and it was just too much for him in the end. Hubby thought it was great and he doesnt watch it really - "Britney" obviously did the trick for the Daddies! I was just thinking 425 euro for an hour and ten minutes? Am I mad?? So as far as I am concerned the jury is out - why were the tickets so dear in comparison to other performers especially if the show was that short. On balance I wouldnt go again not because the perfomances werent good - they were - but purely for value for money - so in fact the jury is now in.:confused:

Advertisement