Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mtb-ing in curragh woods Midleton Cork.

Options
  • 02-07-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Anyone any info on curragh woods in midleton? What is it like for mountain biking and would it be safe to leave a car at trail head etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Check this out, a thread from MBCC

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Check this out, a thread from MBCC

Cheers. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hill killer

anyboby interested in a bit of night cycling in this area, new to the sport so dont know if there are any groups or individuals doing this already?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Last time I was there was Summer 2014, I used to head there once every 2 weeks as I was living in Fermoy at the time. It is good craic, not for the faint of heart as some of the descents can build a lot of speed, and there are roots everywhere which are slippery.

I'd be waiting for the weather to clear up a bit before you head out there, the place is like a swamp after rain. The route I used to do was keep climbing the main hill, go all the way to the back of the woods and you'll be along side a wall, you'll see a trail to your left, which brings you downhill a fair way, at the bottom of that turn right up the fire road and you'll find another trail, which will bring you back to the carpark, this one is technical. There are a few steep descents to the right of the big climb, but in the wet they're a pure gamble

thanks for that, ive been up there a few times now getting to know my way around fairly ok, its the silght worry of wiping myself out in the dark,while up there by myself and would also like to pick up a few skills from other riders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

thanks for that, ive been up there a few times now getting to know my way around fairly ok, its the silght worry of wiping myself out in the dark,while up there by myself and would also like to pick up a few skills from other riders.

I can't recommend joining a club enough if you can, the best way to get access to the best places to ride, group rides and also pick up skills from other riders, mountain biking is a bit more technical that road so it'll help you big time.

Maybe contact MBCC, Cycling Ireland membership is open now too.

thats good advice, i think it might be the way to go.
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tírghrá

Was there anymore on this? Im new to mountain biking and using the Curragh woods also. Seems to be a fair bunch of people using it but nothing solid like a club or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youllbemine

Does anyone have a route around the wood? I'll be down that direction for work on Friday and looking to hit the trails since it's too far to go to Ballyhoura. Had a look at some YouTube videos and it looks easy to head off track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

No, but the woods is very small and all the trails criss-cross multiple times. Head up the fireroad and take the small fireroad on your right after 400m. That'll bring you across to the far side. Any trail you see heading off on your right as you head along there is likely to be steep, slippery and schlompy. When you get over to the end, turn left and climb to the next fireroad, and when you hit that follow it to the right to the top of the woods. Explore your way around. All the trails you'll find at the top are easy. There's a trail that skirts the southern edge of the woods all the way back to the start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement