Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting in oz

Options
  • 02-07-2011 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

was just looking at appartments for rent in perth but i was wondering whats the story with the bond ? would you need to pay a bond and a few weeks rent or whats the story with it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

fergalevo wrote: »
    was just looking at appartments for rent in perth but i was wondering whats the story with the bond ? would you need to pay a bond and a few weeks rent or whats the story with it ?
    General rule of thumb is 2 weeks rent in advance plus 4 weeks rent as a bond, so before you move in you need to hand over 6 weeks rent. The bond is held by a third party and should be returned if the lease ends to everybody satisfaction. If you break the lease and try to leave early you have to pay the cost of finding new tenants.
    A new'ish development i've seen as well is if you like a property and want to put in an application the estate agent may ask for a weeks rent as a deposit to weed out frivilous applications. if you are offered the property you get the deposit back, if they offer you the property and you decline you lose your deposit. fine if you are not in a rush and can wait to get your $300-$500 deposit back after a week or two before applying for another one but if you're in a hurry and see 4 properties and want to apply for say 3 of them then could cost you $900-$1500 and you may lose 1 or 2 of the deposits.
    Private leases through gumtree or west australian might be more flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

fergalevo wrote: »

Every rental is different. Contact the renter.

Advertisement