Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway or Ballinasloe???????????

Options
  • 03-07-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi All,

My wife and I discovered over the past week discovered we are pregnant with our first child. It will be our first and we are delighted a needless to say a little scared but in a good way.

It is early days yet (4-5 weeks) so we are taking each day as it comes.

We have been to our GP and she has been helpful, We live in Galway county and the GP has told us to decide where we would like to have the baby.

We know nothing about either hospital, The GP has said that we would get a scan in Ballinasloe 2 weeks before we would get one in Galway, Ballinasloe is not as busy as Galway either.

Would anyone have any feedback on either hospital so we can make a better decision, We don't want to ask family or friends in case they put 2 + 2 together.

Also, when should we be expecting the first scan, is it about the 3 month mark??

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

In UCHG, you can expect the first scan around 20 weeks, Portiuncla maybe a bit earlier. I have heard good things about both hospitals (I despise UCHG due to very bad A&E experiences and general treatment of patients, but the maternity part is supposed to be ok, as far as friends told me). Heard some good things about Portiuncla as well.

I'd probably base it on how quick you can get to either hospital (not just when in labour but also for appointments etc). Galway obviously can be a massive pain traffic-wise and also parking-wise.

That's all I got so far - I can tell you more about UCHG in about 20 weeks time ;-)

Good luck and congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

galah wrote: »
    In UCHG, you can expect the first scan around 20 weeks, Portiuncla maybe a bit earlier. I have heard good things about both hospitals (I despise UCHG due to very bad A&E experiences and general treatment of patients, but the maternity part is supposed to be ok, as far as friends told me). Heard some good things about Portiuncla as well.

I'd probably base it on how quick you can get to either hospital (not just when in labour but also for appointments etc). Galway obviously can be a massive pain traffic-wise and also parking-wise.

That's all I got so far - I can tell you more about UCHG in about 20 weeks time ;-)

Good luck and congrats!

Thanks very much Galah,

We have decided to go with Portiuncla in the end,
    Best of luck with the rest of your 20 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shegrim

Glad to hear you chose Portiuncla, care is very good there, earlier scan then UHG, also you usually are scanned at each visit. I'm a bit biased, my sister is a midwife there and I'm going there for my first too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 catz852002

Hi guys!
    Congrats on yer good news! Im due in 10 weeks and following some research along the same lines as your own, I chose to deliver in Portiuncula. I work in a creche and having spoken to a few different mums who have had experiences in UCHG and Portiuncula - some delivered in both - i chose Portiuncula. Its about the same time and distance wise for us by the time traffic etc. is taken into account but having met the midwives (they saw me and DH wandering tru maternity ward and offered to show us the delivery suites, on my first visit) I knew i'd made the right decision. The staff:patient ratios seem marvelous and there was no-one in labour when I popped in (unannounced!) which leads me to believe its much quieter, and thus more attn given to each new Yummy Mummy.
    Also, which works great for me, is that my scans are held in St. Brendans in Loughrea which is only 20 mins from us @ home.
    Overall (so far, please God!) im confident with my decision to opt for Ballinasloe! Watch this space!!
    Best of luck n ur decision!
    Cat

Advertisement