Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of cars annoy you & why?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Kia/Daewoo/Chevrolet: Anyone that has one of those tin cans doesn't know how to drive; if they did they wouldn't have bought one of those pieces of junk

I've a Chevrolet Camaro, are you counting that in there? It's not the best car in the world, but it's a surprising amount of fun and fairly reliable.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lmfao4eva

Peugeot skywagon they are horrible and Nissan micras idiots drive em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

hondasam wrote: »
    Honda integra drivers are always in a hurry or just have a need to speed.
    Civics, subaru impreza typical boy racer car with fcuk of exhausts.

Not all Impreza drivers are 'boy racer' types, some just respect the car. I've driven one a few times by someone who treats his car like it's a limb. Theres some power in that thing, the temptation to be very bold in it is something else - yet he drives it like its a fucking yaris. It's wasted on him >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ford Focus hatches, pieces of dirt.
    Had to change the oil in one there at weekend, silly Focus owner had her almost bone dry, negitive oil! >.<

I truely hate Fiat Multiplas, POXY looking things.

http://www.automotivezen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/fiat-multipla.jpg

Flymoz >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

pfft , moneys no use to you when your dead, may aswell spend it now on big polluting cars while you can

Or alternatively, a good education so you come across as more than semi-literate :pac:
    , also chances are the planet will still outlive all those rich lads anyway so after your dead , who cares if the planet goes to sh*t

facepalm
    :rolleyes: You haven't a clue, have you? I care actually, and so do lots of others who are not pathologically self-centered boorish misanthropes concerned with their own narrow selfish material desires; and who want to leave the earth in a better way for our kids, grand-kids and all the future generations to come, not to mention all the other species we share the earth with.

All of us have some responsibility to do what we can to lessen our impact by virtue of the fact that we're privileged to be born on this beautiful planet of ours, not exploit it and use what we need and to hell with other people and the environment. That's utterly selfish.

And if you're going to tell me you're never going to have any kids... good! best decision you can make if you're the same in real life as you come across here on boards.

And don't bother replying if it's only to be nasty, I'm not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Any with those stupid German style number plates. They're everywhere the past few days and the way some of them are set up must be to avoid speed cameras and are surely illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Greentopia wrote: »
    Or alternatively, a good education so you come across as more than semi-literate :pac:

facepalm
    :rolleyes: You haven't a clue, have you? I care actually, and so do lots of others who are not pathologically self-centered boorish misanthropes concerned with their own narrow selfish material desires; and who want to leave the earth in a better way for our kids, grand-kids and all the future generations to come, not to mention all the other species we share the earth with.

All of us have some responsibility to do what we can to lessen our impact by virtue of the fact that we're privileged to be born on this beautiful planet of ours, not exploit it and use what we need and to hell with other people and the environment. That's utterly selfish.

And if you're going to tell me you're never going to have any kids... good! best decision you can make if you're the same in real life as you come across here on boards.

It's people like you having kids that upsets me more.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Anything with Eric Cartman driving it

I'm always afraid he's going to stop me and say "Step out of the car please...."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

facepalm

Where's your consideration of mileage? I have a 2.8l petrol and get at best 22-23MPG with the driving I do. I also only do about 6000 miles a year, yet someone driving a nice new 1.6l diesel doing 15000 miles a year is fine by you?

Aside from the fact that diesel is far more polluting than petrol is, and aside from the fact that I keep my 11 year old car on the road in great shape, you no doubt believe it makes more sense to build an entirely new car which is 50% less polluting and put that on the road instead, despite producing bucket loads of pollution just to get it on the road.

How many airmiles do you clock up a year? How many parcel deliveries do An Post deliver to your house? How much fruit do you eat that has to be imported here? How many appliances do you leave on standby?

These and many more examples all balance out, slating people with large engined cars without looking at the bigger picture is naive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Luxobarges with a little tube that comes out of each seat to pre emptively remove any impending farts from the occupant's anus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

facepalm

I agree with Eric. Your username says it all really: 'Green'. Unfortunately, as a self aware animal, I only really care about the enjoyment of the 70 or so years that I have on this Earth, and how to make it as enjoyable for me as possible. Part of it involves me driving a big engined car. I can't afford one because of the Green Partys anti-car bull****, so I can only drive a 2 litre.

The Earth will be fine, pretty much no matter what we do. Thinking that you are saving the planet by driving a new car with a smaller engine is both naive, and laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Ones that tailgate you when you're on a motorcycle.....

.....because the brain dead morons that do that, would never be able to react fast enough if you have to brake hard, irrespective of how good their a.b.s. is..

Venom wrote: »
    It's people like you having kids that upsets me more.............

I'm gutted :rolleyes:

Where's your consideration of mileage? I have a 2.8l petrol and get at best 22-23MPG with the driving I do. I also only do about 6000 miles a year, yet someone driving a nice new 1.6l diesel doing 15000 miles a year is fine by you?

Where did I say that was fine by me? don't put words in my mouth, I mentioned nothing about car mileage in my post. My reply to Cartman was about his couldn't-care-less attitude to driving a "big polluting car" and disregard for anyone or any thing else but himself.

Obviously it's not any better to drive a 1.6l doing 15000 a year than a 2.8l at less than half that mileage in terms of fuel consumption. Or if it is the difference is marginal I would imagine. It's more about if you have to drive-which most people of course do in this country-choosing a car that gives good mileage and that's suited to you and your family's needs.
    I don't see the point of buying a big ass Merc or Range Rover for example as status symbols that are wasteful, expensive to run and have poor fuel consumption, especially if there's only one person driving it all the time.
    That's my opinion :)
    Aside from the fact that diesel is far more polluting than petrol is, and aside from the fact that I keep my 11 year old car on the road in great shape, you no doubt believe it makes more sense to build an entirely new car which is 50% less polluting and put that on the road instead, despite producing bucket loads of pollution just to get it on the road.

You seem to like making straw man arguments and assumptions about me. What is your opinion that "I no doubt believe it makes sense to build an entirely new car which is 50% less polluting and put that on the road instead..." based on exactly?
    Oh I see, I'm obviously a tree-hugger and therefore must think that it makes more sense to have everyone ditch their cars no matter how economical and eco-friendly they are and buy new Prius', is that it?
    No, sorry to shatter your stereotype, I don't think that. The greenest car in my opinion is the one that's already built (discounting obvious fuel guzzlers of course).
    Even though hybrids like the Prius have a lower fuel consumption and CO2 than most other cars of it's engine size the amount of embodied energy that goes into the manufacture and distribution of them makes them not the greenest choice in the long run IMO.

As things stand at the moment better to get a reliable second hand car with high mileage that's economical to run AND suitable for your needs with whatever fuel it runs on (I'd convert it to run on chip fat but that's me :cool:)
    Next best alternative for me if I had to buy a new car would be a small electric. The holy grail for alternative fuels is non-fossil use hydrogen, but it looks like it may not happen for another 30/40 years now though :(
    How many airmiles do you clock up a year? How many parcel deliveries do An Post deliver to your house? How much fruit do you eat that has to be imported here? How many appliances do you leave on standby?

Answers:
    1.None last year but I'll probably go to Germany later this year so a few thousand miles there, which I'll use carbon offsets for.
    2.I have a small business so a fair few parcels to and from my house, yes. Can't be avoided if I want to put food on the table. I do support local businesses where I can though.
    3.Local fruits mostly actually-soft fruits, apples. Except bananas, which are freighted not flown here.
    I'd grow my own fruit and veg. if I could.
    5. I'm proud to say none! I switch off everything that I'm not using.
    That's fuel efficiency 101 tbh.
    I'm on a low(ish) income and am parsimonious and frugal anyway so I keep my fuel bills as low as possible.

Look the point isn't about being eco-perfect, none of us can be. We all use carbon and pollute just by living, no matter how eco-conscious we are. The point is to be aware of your energy use and do the best you can, that's all.
    You sound like you do more than most with your 11 year old car that you take care off, even if it's not the most fuel efficient car.
    You know of course that by keeping the engine running smoothly you're getting the best, most fuel efficient use from it's engine. That's not just 'green' it's smart because you're saving money and you can keep it on the road for longer.
    That's better in my opinion than buying a brand new Prius or Leaf or whatever for the reasons I've given.
    These and many more examples all balance out, slating people with large engined cars without looking at the bigger picture is naive.

I've already answered the reason why I replied to Cartman. It wasn't about 'slating people' with big cars just because I don't like big cars.

Gah, tl;dr. /threadjack

oOOOhh... all angries :pac:

/cornie pops

ottostreet wrote: »
    I agree with Eric. Your username says it all really: 'Green'. Unfortunately, as a self aware animal, I only really care about the enjoyment of the 70 or so years that I have on this Earth, and how to make it as enjoyable for me as possible. Part of it involves me driving a big engined car. I can't afford one because of the Green Partys anti-car bull****, so I can only drive a 2 litre.

Oh the irony. If you were truly self aware and enlightened you wouldn't hold that opinion. That's a self-regarding anthropocentric view of the world.

My user name is not just about my environmental stance, so no it doesn't "say it all" actually.
    And I'm not a member of the Green Party so it's no personal slight to me if you insult them. Sorry.
    ottostreet wrote: »
    The Earth will be fine, pretty much no matter what we do. Thinking that you are saving the planet by driving a new car with a smaller engine is both naive, and laughable.

The earth is not and will not be "fine" if we keep going as we are and action is not taken to address the many urgent environmental problems facing us, no matter how much you or anyone else wish to bury your head in the sand and believe otherwise.
    And I don't use green wash corporate slogans like 'saving the planet', nor do I believe that just by driving a smaller engine car we will do so.
    Another straw man.

Much though I see little wrong with a bit of consideration for the environment, and pleased though I am to see that the current Jag XFR's 500hp engine gets better fuel economy and releases fewer emissions than my S4's older 340hp engine, indicating improvements over time, I am less than convinced that the relative improvement in emission reduction resulting by driving something 'sensible' of equal vintage is worth the decrease in driving pleasure.

That said, I am looking very seriously at getting an electric car next year (Tesla S) for commuting purposes. But not to replace the S4.

NTM

That said, I am looking very seriously at getting an electric car next year (Tesla S) for commuting purposes. But not to replace the S4.

NTM

A Tesla?! :eek: oooh fancy! :cool: Beautiful looking cars. I'd love to get a ride in one, just to see what they're like.
    Ahem, that didn't come out right, I meant be a passenger in one.:D
    Tom Hanks has one doesn't he?

Great car for where you are I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

There's a whole lot of this http://bananabun.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/south_park_smug.jpg

In this thread about now./

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wine coloured 99 reg Toyota corolla taxi with grubby beige upholstery and the smell of Guinness farts.

A Tesla?! :eek: oooh fancy! :cool: Beautiful looking cars. I'd love to get a ride in one, just to see what they're like.
    Ahem, that didn't come out right, I meant be a passenger in one.:D
    Tom Hanks has one doesn't he?

Great car for where you are I'd imagine.

Nobody has one. The car barely hit Beta, and will not be available for sale until part way through next year. The Roadster was basically a battery powered Elise (and stupidly expensive), the S is actually somewhat practical and affordable. However, as it's untested, I'm likely to break one of my rules and to lease instead of buy. That way I'm not committed to an unproven concept. I'm looking at it purely for the practical aspect of cost, and if the range liabilities, quality, comfort and driving pleasure are not there, it's back to the internal combustion engine two years later. Environmental issues are a secondary consideration to my transport and finance preferences.

As an aside, saw my first Chevrolet Volt (Opel Ampera) this week. Not my cup of tea, but should do a good job of fighting for the Prius and Jetta buyers.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

fullstop wrote: »
    Any with those stupid German style number plates. They're everywhere the past few days and the way some of them are set up must be to avoid speed cameras and are surely illegal.

No they aren't, its a standard EU font and read just as easily by speed/toll cameras as any other number plate.

They are also not illegal as long as they have the IRL on the left, dashes between letters and county in Irish. You would be surprised at how loose the requirements for numberplates are after that criteria.

Many people have flew through NCTs with them, while many have been failed before for missing the county name in Irish.

So do you want to retract your statement now? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

PaulKK wrote: »
    fullstop wrote: »

No they aren't, its a standard EU font and read just as easily by speed/toll cameras as any other number plate.

They are also not illegal as long as they have the IRL on the left, dashes between letters and county in Irish. You would be surprised at how loose the requirements for numberplates are after that criteria.

Many people have flew through NCTs with them, while many have been failed before for missing the county name in Irish.

So do you want to retract your statement now? :)
    No I don't want to retract my statement actually. The ones I have seen the past couple of days definitely aren't legal, going by your own definition above. One had the year and then the 2 circles like on german cars, then D and whatever number. Another had a reg with that writing that looked something like 05D 12 345.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I hate all Nissan Micras, and also putting sport model on them does not make them look sporty nor any faster when its been driven by someone scared to go past 3rd gear!! or do they even have more than 3 gears!!!:rolleyes:

fiat puntos arent great either, the lights are always dodgie on them instead of the indicators going on the break light pops on!!:eek:

fiat multipla = ugliest car ever created!!!

Nobody has one. The car barely hit Beta, and will not be available for sale until part way through next year.

Sorry, I meant a Tesla, not any specific model.
    As an aside, saw my first Chevrolet Volt (Opel Ampera) this week. Not my cup of tea, but should do a good job of fighting for the Prius and Jetta buyers.
    NTM

Linkedin executive shows off his Volt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KozFvrOhkM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'd convert it to run on chip fat but that's me

Diesel cars can already run on vegetable oil so chip fat cleaned up (filtered)will work. More importantly though, will you be paying carbon tax and fuel duty on said chip fat sir. If not your self righteous arse will hopefully end up in jail for a while. Your carbon footprint should be fairly low in there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spunky_ie

Kxiii wrote: »
    Heard a guy on the radio one day talking about one he'd seen driving around with English plates that read 7TK

Talk about showing off.

You think thats showing off? Try this one! It's things like this that annoy me, the owner is clearly a w*anker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

spunky_ie wrote: »
    You think thats showing off? Try this one! It's things like this that annoy me, the owner is clearly a w*anker!

That's class, I'm going to get a plate that says 80085

Advertisement