Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of cars annoy you & why?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Fanny mobiles.

Cars that act as penis extenders for some blokes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Greentopia wrote: »
    Where did I say that was fine by me? don't put words in my mouth, I mentioned nothing about car mileage in my post. My reply to Cartman was about his couldn't-care-less attitude to driving a "big polluting car" and disregard for anyone or any thing else but himself.

Obviously it's not any better to drive a 1.6l doing 15000 a year than a 2.8l at less than half that mileage in terms of fuel consumption. Or if it is the difference is marginal I would imagine. It's more about if you have to drive-which most people of course do in this country-choosing a car that gives good mileage and that's suited to you and your family's needs.
    I don't see the point of buying a big ass Merc or Range Rover for example as status symbols that are wasteful, expensive to run and have poor fuel consumption, especially if there's only one person driving it all the time.
    That's my opinion :)

You seem to like making straw man arguments and assumptions about me. What is your opinion that "I no doubt believe it makes sense to build an entirely new car which is 50% less polluting and put that on the road instead..." based on exactly?
    Oh I see, I'm obviously a tree-hugger and therefore must think that it makes more sense to have everyone ditch their cars no matter how economical and eco-friendly they are and buy new Prius', is that it?
    No, sorry to shatter your stereotype, I don't think that. The greenest car in my opinion is the one that's already built (discounting obvious fuel guzzlers of course).
    Even though hybrids like the Prius have a lower fuel consumption and CO2 than most other cars of it's engine size the amount of embodied energy that goes into the manufacture and distribution of them makes them not the greenest choice in the long run IMO.

As things stand at the moment better to get a reliable second hand car with high mileage that's economical to run AND suitable for your needs with whatever fuel it runs on (I'd convert it to run on chip fat but that's me :cool:)
    Next best alternative for me if I had to buy a new car would be a small electric. The holy grail for alternative fuels is non-fossil use hydrogen, but it looks like it may not happen for another 30/40 years now though :(

Answers:
    1.None last year but I'll probably go to Germany later this year so a few thousand miles there, which I'll use carbon offsets for.
    2.I have a small business so a fair few parcels to and from my house, yes. Can't be avoided if I want to put food on the table. I do support local businesses where I can though.
    3.Local fruits mostly actually-soft fruits, apples. Except bananas, which are freighted not flown here.
    I'd grow my own fruit and veg. if I could.
    5. I'm proud to say none! I switch off everything that I'm not using.
    That's fuel efficiency 101 tbh.
    I'm on a low(ish) income and am parsimonious and frugal anyway so I keep my fuel bills as low as possible.

Look the point isn't about being eco-perfect, none of us can be. We all use carbon and pollute just by living, no matter how eco-conscious we are. The point is to be aware of your energy use and do the best you can, that's all.
    You sound like you do more than most with your 11 year old car that you take care off, even if it's not the most fuel efficient car.
    You know of course that by keeping the engine running smoothly you're getting the best, most fuel efficient use from it's engine. That's not just 'green' it's smart because you're saving money and you can keep it on the road for longer.
    That's better in my opinion than buying a brand new Prius or Leaf or whatever for the reasons I've given.

I've already answered the reason why I replied to Cartman. It wasn't about 'slating people' with big cars just because I don't like big cars.

Gah, tl;dr. /threadjack

Fair play for the detailed reply. My own reply was just based upon a vibe I got from your post about polluting cars which I wasn't 100% correct about, you seem to know your stuff.

But I feel all cars by their very nature are polluting, I don't enjoy polluting and I don't think anyone does, no matter what they drive. Some just give it less consideration than others. But I even think that it makes little difference over the course of a vehicles life what size the engine is or what MPG you get, because the cost of producing, running and destroying every car is much the same. Obviously there's a difference between running an 8MPG Hummer and a 70MPG+ 1.6l Bluemotion Passat, but I think on average there is little difference between any car on Irish roads in how much it pollutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's plenty of older, larger road worthy cars out there that will easily last another 10 years motoring compared to their newer counterparts. Diesels now way outsell petrol models but in order to put out similar power they have more technical engines with turbos, superchargers and in some case both, nevermind DMF and DPF. This means there are more components to go wrong and many new cars bought today will be worthless in six / seven years time. New cars today are in a lot of cases disposable items.

I have no facts to back this up but I reckon a low mpg diesel car that has to be produced and destroyed within a maximum of ten years will have a larger longterm impact on the environmet than a car with a normally aspirated engine that you will get twenty years out of if treated properly.

Furthermore, if you happen to like older, bigger cars they can cost the same (or less) to run on a yearly basis than a new 'economical' car when you take depreciation into consideration.

tl;dr? There's nothing wrong with driving a big 'ol bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Where did I say that was fine by me? don't put words in my mouth, I mentioned nothing about car mileage in my post. My reply to Cartman was about his couldn't-care-less attitude to driving a "big polluting car" and disregard for anyone or any thing else but himself.
    see below , Im here to make me happy, not everyone else
    Obviously it's not any better to drive a 1.6l doing 15000 a year than a 2.8l at less than half that mileage in terms of fuel consumption. Or if it is the difference is marginal I would imagine. It's more about if you have to drive-which most people of course do in this country-choosing a car that gives good mileage and that's suited to you and your family's needs.
    I don't see the point of buying a big ass Merc or Range Rover for example as status symbols that are wasteful, expensive to run and have poor fuel consumption, especially if there's only one person driving it all the time.
    That's my opinion :)
    Because , just like im sure saving the enviroment makes you feel good, big luxury cars that are nice to drive and comfy to sit in make other people happy
    Oh the irony. If you were truly self aware and enlightened you wouldn't hold that opinion. That's a self-regarding anthropocentric view of the world.
    if you cant have fun in the world whats the point, to me and ottostreet cars are fun , If cars didnt cost money or I didnt like them I dont think id even work , I love nothing more than driving around in my truck all day , I couldnt get that fun out of something with a small engine , the only reason I dont drive a 5 litre 7 series around all day is I cant get insured in it yet , The planet isnt that bad off and theres a lot better ways (nuclear power and incinerators) to solve our enviromental problems) , I will never ever drive a car under 2 litre as anything more than a stopgap measure, I do a minimum of 30,000 miles a year and have no problem spending the money on fuel to put a smile on my face. I still consider 30mpg very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The planet isnt that bad off and theres a lot better ways (nuclear power and incinerators) to solve our enviromental problems) , I will never ever drive a car under 2 litre as anything more than a stopgap measure, I do a minimum of 30,000 miles a year and have no problem spending the money on fuel to put a smile on my face. I still consider 30mpg very good.

You forgot to mention the cows Eric - dem hoors create awful amounts of pollofumation! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Diesel cars can already run on vegetable oil so chip fat cleaned up (filtered)will work.

I think it depends on the engine. Some diesels have to be converted using a kit to run it on while others are happy to run on the filtered chippy fat.
    I haven't looked into it.

More importantly though, will you be paying carbon tax and fuel duty on said chip fat sir. If not your self righteous arse will hopefully end up in jail for a while. Your carbon footprint should be fairly low in there:)

That would be madam actually ;)
    and yes I would pay all applicable taxes and fuel duty on it. I know Revenue has to be notified in such cases.
    Why, do you think I wouldn't do so?

Sorry if you think I was self-righteous, not sure what I said to you that you took up as being so.

Fair play for the detailed reply. My own reply was just based upon a vibe I got from your post about polluting cars which I wasn't 100% correct about, you seem to know your stuff.

But I feel all cars by their very nature are polluting, I don't enjoy polluting and I don't think anyone does, no matter what they drive. Some just give it less consideration than others. But I even think that it makes little difference over the course of a vehicles life what size the engine is or what MPG you get, because the cost of producing, running and destroying every car is much the same. Obviously there's a difference between running an 8MPG Hummer and a 70MPG+ 1.6l Bluemotion Passat, but I think on average there is little difference between any car on Irish roads in how much it pollutes.

I don't think most people enjoy polluting either, and avoid it where possible, I just don't understand the minority who have a cynical and self-centered attitude of 'fuck every one and every thing else, I'M going to drive whatever car I want, because I can. I don't care about anything else as long I get what I want.' Me me me...
    I think that's very wrong. It's unthinking, ignorant, unethical and hugely entitled, amongst of things.
    And that's my final thoughts on it you'll be glad to hear ;)

There's many variables isn't there? what size motor? what type fuel does it run on? how many miles do you put on the clock in a year? do you look after the car so it's working to optimal efficiency? do you drive primarily on motorway or secondary roads? how old is the car? do you use air conditioning/have roof racks etc that bring down mileage? and so on.

So many things would have to be calculated in.
    I wouldn't quite agree that there's little difference between ANY cars on Irish roads and you wouldn't have to go to Hummer/Passat extremes.
    There'd be a substantial difference between most SUV's/Mercs/BMW's and small cars like a Fiat 500/ Mini Cooper/Yaris for example, however the cars are kept, where they're driven, etc.

There would have to be. Car manufacturers have to produce a range of cars that have broad spectrum MPG to cater for all their customers base.

Price and looks are not the most important consideration for everyone when choosing a car, naturally. Especially with pump prices being so high recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I like cars

I don't think most people enjoy polluting either, and avoid it where possible, I just don't understand the minority who have a cynical and self-centered attitude of 'fuck every one and every thing else, I'M going to drive whatever car I want, because I can. I don't care about anything else as long I get what I want.' Me me me...
    I think that's very wrong. It's unthinking, ignorant, unethical and hugely entitled, amongst of things.
    And that's my final thoughts on it you'll be glad to hear ;)

There's many variables isn't there? what size motor? what type fuel does it run on? how many miles do you put on the clock in a year? do you look after the car so it's working to optimal efficiency? do you drive primarily on motorway or secondary roads? how old is the car? do you use air conditioning/have roof racks etc that bring down mileage? and so on.

So many things would have to be calculated in.
    I wouldn't quite agree that there's little difference between ANY cars on Irish roads and you wouldn't have to go to Hummer/Passat extremes.
    There'd be a substantial difference between most SUV's/Mercs/BMW's and small cars like a Fiat 500/ Mini Cooper/Yaris for example, however the cars are kept, where they're driven, etc.

There would have to be. Car manufacturers have to produce a range of cars that have broad spectrum MPG to cater for all their customers base.

Price and looks are not the most important consideration for everyone when choosing a car, naturally. Especially with pump prices being so high recently.

Its very hard to tell. Theres a lot more dangerous pollutants in diesel compared to petrol, yet everyone is obsessed solely with CO2 figures. All cars also eat through engine oil, tyres, brake fluid, transmission fluid, battery acid, coolant, brake pads, catalytic converters etc etc etc. Does the extra emissions from fuel in a large petrol engine really have that much of a bearing compared to smaller, "greener" cars? I'd also wager that larger engined petrol cars are on the road a lot less than smaller, petrol/diesel equivalents.

I personally don't think there's a lot in it.

see below , Im here to make me happy, not everyone else
    Because , just like im sure saving the enviroment makes you feel good, big luxury cars that are nice to drive and comfy to sit in make other people happy

It's not about feeling there's an onus on you to make others happy, I explained already the issue I had with what you said in your original post.

And we have very different ideas about happiness obviously and the real meaning and importance of it.
    I don't believe happiness is our most noble aspiration in life-it is a by-product of such things as compassion, love, kindness to others-including strangers, family, community, they all count for much more than striving for such things as the acquisition of things like big cars.

I will say though that it's not that 'saving the environment' makes me happy as such (green washing catch phrases like 'saving the planet' 'saving the environment' or 'sustainability' have become co-opted by big business and have become trite and meaningless and set my teeth on edge when I hear them anyway); it's rather as I said that I feel it's a responsibility to lessen our impact and mitigate the damage we do to our planet and try and do the best we can to leave it a little bit better (or certainly no worse!) in whatever way we can.
    There's nothing do-gooder about it, it's just what we as humans should do I think. That's how I was brought up to believe anyway.

As to the rest of your post-nothing wrong with fun! of course not, life would be dreary and awful if we didn't have some fun in life.
    It doesn't mean we should push aside everything else in the pursuit of it though.
    Your point as to what you think the answers are to our environmental problems-nuclear power and incinerators...all I can say here and now without going into it is that I fundamentally disagree. And I'll leave it at that.

I wish you the best, I hope you really are happy and mean you no ill will anyway, I mean that.
    If I said some harsh things to you it was because I found your words and ideas to be rather selfish but I'm only going on your words here, of course I don't know the real you, no more than you I and you may well be a decent kind and thoughtful person in IRL.
    peace.

• Advertisement

Its very hard to tell. Theres a lot more dangerous pollutants in diesel compared to petrol, yet everyone is obsessed solely with CO2 figures. All cars also eat through engine oil, tyres, brake fluid, transmission fluid, battery acid, coolant, brake pads, catalytic converters etc etc etc. Does the extra emissions from fuel in a large petrol engine really have that much of a bearing compared to smaller, "greener" cars? I'd also wager that larger engined petrol cars are on the road a lot less than smaller, petrol/diesel equivalents.

I personally don't think there's a lot in it.

Agree with the first part of your post. Fuck it, lets all get on our bikes :D
    there!-that should confirm the views of some here that I'm a car-hating eco-nazi :pac:
    I'm seriously thinking of getting an electric bicycle sometime actually, when I move to the country. Sales of them are at an all time high in countries like the Netherlands and Switzerland. Zero emissions, relatively low cost to buy and run-no tax and insurance, congestion charges or NCT! and healthier than driving a car :)
    Yes there's all the impact of manufacturing and disposal of the battery to consider but they still end up as far more eco-friendly than cars.

I'm not sure why you think larger engined petrol cars would be on the road a lot less than smaller cars though?
    It's surely not one of affordability. If you can afford to tax, insure and put petrol in a big engined car then why would you be any less inclined to use it? It's just anecdotal but I've seen people who are so lazy they'll drive 200 yards down the road from their house to the local shop in all different size cars-seriously, some of my former neighbours used to do this all the time-all of them women I'm sorry to say :rolleyes: lazy sods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

My next car will be a Toyota Pious with a smug bumper sticker on the back as a means of doing good. You see punishing oneself by driving such an ugly boring heap of shite around the place is the ultimate sacrifice one can make for the environment, the planet and the children living in it.

Also Lithium mining is a clean, low energy input sustainable business with no negative consequences to the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Agree with the first part of your post. Fuck it, lets all get on our bikes :D
    there!-that should confirm the views of some here that I'm a car-hating eco-nazi :pac:
    I'm seriously thinking of getting an electric bicycle sometime actually, when I move to the country. Sales of them are at an all time high in countries like the Netherlands and Switzerland. Zero emissions, relatively low cost to buy and run-no tax and insurance, congestion charges or NCT! and healthier than driving a car :)
    Yes there's all the impact of manufacturing and disposal of the battery to consider but they still end up as far more eco-friendly than cars.

I'm not sure why you think larger engined petrol cars would be on the road a lot less than smaller cars though?
    It's surely not one of affordability. If you can afford to tax, insure and put petrol in a big engined car then why would you be any less inclined to use it? It's just anecdotal but I've seen people who are so lazy they'll drive 200 yards down the road from their house to the local shop in all different size cars-seriously, some of my former neighbours used to do this all the time-all of them women I'm sorry to say :rolleyes: lazy sods.

I apologise for being harsh in my last post, I assumed based on your username that you were aligned with the Green Partys thinking, and that would annoy me. Its clear from your posts that your arguments are well thought out, and not the ramblings of an eco-maniac. So for that I apologise.

However, while I don't intentionally WANT to pollute the Earth, it is unavoidable with the cars I wish to drive. Does the fact that my car is 'dirty' make me feel guilty? Not at all. Would I stop driving/desiring a car if its only negative was its environmental impact? Not at all. In that regard, I admit my selfishness.

I HATE the route car manufacturers have gone. Everything is about economy and eco-friendliness. The Type R...gone, the Mitsubishi EVO...gone/becoming diesel, Impreza...all diesel now I think. What genuinely interesting cars are there now? Most nice looking modern cars come with... diesel engines! It's the reason that I think I will have a 90s car for a long time still to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

What type of cars annoy you & why?
    Ones with wheels, they're the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

jme2010 wrote: »
    Land Rover Discovery.

They are ridiculous penis extentions. We live in a country 100 miles wide. Get a ****ing proper car now you posh p.rick. How am I suposed to get in that space? What are those little lenster rugby flags for....fu.ck off.

No!! I loooove these...

Whats the first thing everyone does when they start commuting? Get rid of their petrol and buy a smaller engined diesel. If you have to do 15-20k km a year, you dont buy a larger petrol engined car.

You're still equating engine size to wealth, this may apply to new cars, however not to second hand large engined cars.

ottostreet wrote: »
    I apologise for being harsh in my last post, I assumed based on your username that you were aligned with the Green Partys thinking, and that would annoy me. Its clear from your posts that your arguments are well thought out, and not the ramblings of an eco-maniac. So for that I apologise.

Thank you :)
    No, not a Green Party supporter any more. I did vote for them the first time around 4 years ago because I thought they might offer something interesting and new that would be a change to the status quo, but I became disillusioned with them rather quickly, especially Gormley, so no way was I going to vote for them again in the last election.
    ottostreet wrote: »
    What genuinely interesting cars are there now? Most nice looking modern cars come with... diesel engines! It's the reason that I think I will have a 90s car for a long time still to come.

you mentioned the Subaru Impreza...a friend of mine has a late nineties Subaru Forester, and it was a god send for him when we had the snow last winter. Best car he could have had then. He needs it to drive his kids out the country to their home there (divorced). Not just to navigate Tescos car park!

He was able to still drive anywhere (through the Wicklow mountains!) in several feet of snow with it's AWD when many newer top of the range SUV's couldn't make it up a hill here. He gets over 30 mpg (35 I think) too so not too bad for a (SUV type) car. There's a reason why they're the top selling Subaru cars in Canada. They have a very loyal following I believe.
    Best car he's ever had in over 30 years driving he says.

If we get more winters like last year I think more people will be choosing cars like the Forester that seem to strike a good balance between quality, utility, driving experience and fuel efficiency.
    I don't need a car as it stands now as I work from home and can walk/cycle everywhere locally, but when I do need one for country driving maybe Subaru by then will have come out with a Forester Hybrid or electric that I can get second hand :pac:
    -An Impreza Hybrid is coming out next year I believe.
    My friend the Forester owner is on an online Forester owners forum and yadders on about Subaru's so I pick up info on them whether I like it or not :rolleyes::D

Whats the first thing everyone does when they start commuting? Get rid of their petrol and buy a smaller engined diesel. If you have to do 15-20k km a year, you dont buy a larger petrol engined car.

Really? I'll take your word for it as I don't know and I don't commute. Things have changed now of course-wage cuts, carbon tax and all- with people not being able to run big cars like they did during the boom and it seemed like every second new car on the road was an SUV, so people are having to downsize now anyway.
    You're still equating engine size to wealth, this may apply to new cars, however not to second hand large engined cars.

Good point. Second hand large engined car owners still have to pay taxes and insurance and those cars being generally thirstier beasts to run all mean you need deeper pockets to run them though.
    Again, so many variables there also of course you'd have to input to get true comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

pcardin wrote: »
    so you hate everyone who has a better car than yourself? :D

There are a hell of a lot of cars better than mine!

I hate the pretentious ones that believe that their middle of the range cars make them a god!

Are you one of these gods or something?

Advertisement