Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm confused!

Options
  • 03-07-2011 5:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

I have no faith whatsoever in a god, a higher power, life after death, angels, energy points, tarot cards, astrology, eneagrammes and so on.

I do not believe that we need a faith in anything.

But I do wonder if we need spirituality.
    While at the same time, I cannot grasp what exactly spirituality is, if not linked to a faith of some sort.

Is it a feeling of 'wholeness', acceptance, and inner peace?
    If so, what makes spirituality any different to personal growth and general well being, which I consider to be psychological issues unrelated to spirituality.

Sorry if none of this makes sense.
    I have thought about this for years, but still remain unable to articulate my feelings on the subject.

I have tried to read about all of this before, but I can never connect with any of it.

So, I think I would like opinions on whether or not people need a spiritual side.
    And I also would like help with figuring out what exactly spirituality without faith is.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bananabobana

Hi flutterflye,
    In my opinion you don't need to have a specific religion or faith to be spiritual, there's aspects of a lot of different religions and cultures and faiths that appeal to me, I do think you need to start with having faith in yourself and your beliefs with regards to how you treat yourself and others.
    I see your point with regards to psychological issues, we are all at the end of the day looking for happiness and peace of mind, a true feeling of well being, and people achieve this in different ways, whether you go down the spiritual or psychological route its about dealing with issues, letting go and healing and forgiving to get a sense of peace within yourself. I like to think that heaven and hell are not literal places but states of mind, we are the only ones that can trap our minds in the pits of hell, if we don't allow ourselves to be free and happy and to grow.
    I myself like to feel connected to how I got here and who has gone before me and to the world around me, it does give me a feeling of peace feeling like when its my time to go I will join those people again, but again in my opinion, if everything is connected and we are all part of the same, then surely spirituality starts within yourself, with how you feel and the beliefs you have within yourself, everyone finds their own personal spiritual side, I do think it is important to have a constant interest in different faiths, cultures and religions, but not a necessity to take on board all or any of any of it, unless it feels right for you, and its something you do connect with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Hi, thanks :)

Most of your post made perfect sense to me.

Still a bit stuck on what spirituality is though!
    Are you saying that spirituality is a connection with the universe and everything it embodies, has ever embodied, and ever will embody?

This is what I got from your post.
    Sorry if I misinterpreted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bananabobana

Hey, thats a good way of putting it, I suppose my own definition of spirituality is feeling connected to the bigger picture, finding time to be present in this moment and appreciate whats happening right this second, rather than worrying about the future or reflecting on the past,living in the right now, its easier said than done, but I dont think it has to be constant, thats not an easy feat ;) But everyone has faith, whether it comes from being inspired by a religion or just from within, your beliefs with regard to haw you behave and treat people, your morals and your sense of right and wrong, these are all your faith, and faith should always be questioning, never blind.

Hey, thats a good way of putting it, I suppose my own definition of spirituality is feeling connected to the bigger picture, finding time to be present in this moment and appreciate whats happening right this second, rather than worrying about the future or reflecting on the past,living in the right now, its easier said than done, but I dont think it has to be constant, thats not an easy feat ;) But everyone has faith, whether it comes from being inspired by a religion or just from within, your beliefs with regard to haw you behave and treat people, your morals and your sense of right and wrong, these are all your faith, and faith should always be questioning, never blind.

I really like how you have worded this whole post :)
    It has definitely helped.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I have no faith whatsoever in a god, a higher power, life after death, angels, energy points, tarot cards, astrology, eneagrammes and so on.

I do not believe that we need a faith in anything.

But I do wonder if we need spirituality.
    While at the same time, I cannot grasp what exactly spirituality is, if not linked to a faith of some sort.

Is it a feeling of 'wholeness', acceptance, and inner peace?
    If so, what makes spirituality any different to personal growth and general well being, which I consider to be psychological issues unrelated to spirituality.

Sorry if none of this makes sense.
    I have thought about this for years, but still remain unable to articulate my feelings on the subject.

I have tried to read about all of this before, but I can never connect with any of it.

So, I think I would like opinions on whether or not people need a spiritual side.
    And I also would like help with figuring out what exactly spirituality without faith is.

Hi flutterflye, people dont need a spiritual side, spirituality is an escape for alot of people, a nice escape, but an escape non the less, once you figure out what it is you are actually escaping from and see that is it not what you thought it was (i.e. something real), then you no longer need to feel like escaping.

Ironically , even though it is an escape for people, they are actually attempting to engage with reality even more, but they are still holding onto the belief of self, this is the belief they are trying to escape from.
    See the self is only a belief and you stop trying to escape it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

I cannot grasp what exactly spirituality is

To me it is feeling that we are a minute part of something enormous beyond our comprehension,don't just take my word for it.....ask Billy Connolly:D

http://www.myspace.com/video/bear/billy-connolly-and-the-universe/28393935

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

Spirituality is all about being one with the deity you feel in love with.

meryem wrote: »
    Spirituality is all about being one with the deity you feel in love with.

So, what happens when you're no more in love with a deity than you are with a fungal toenail?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

What is spirtitualism???
    There are no spirits, gods, goblins, angels etc.
    Not now, never was, never will be!

When you can come to terms with this, everything is clear.

We are just machines for carrying DNA - our job is to survive and pass on our DNA.
    This DNA has been evolving and diversifying for a long time, in order to help it's survival.
    We are just a small link in the process.
    Be happy to be playing your little part in this game of life.

Be kind and generous to the other "little parts in this game" (human and other) and together we can help create an environment which will help the continuance of our DNA long into the future.

When we die, we will become nutrients to help plants to grow, to create oxygen and food for future generations of the DNA (in all it's forms).

That is all!!!

^^^
    I agree with all of that.
    However, I just got the feeling from many others that spirituality was different, and could be separated from religions, beliefs, and faith.
    I have still not experienced spirituality so I am still unsure of its true existence.

• Advertisement

Spirituality is a subset of your imagination!!!
    It doesn't exist in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Spirituality is different for everyone as we all do generally think differently and have different sets of morality etc. To me Spirituality is getting to know your True Spirit and learning about what makes your Spirit soar and what makes it dive. Love will make your Spirit soar and grow hence we call spiritual Growth, the growth of your Spirit. The more you smile and dedicate your life/time to helping others smile and embrace Love the more your Spirit grows.

If you practice ignorance, intolerance and hatred, and other Negative emotions the more it will depress the spirit.

The choice is yours.

padma wrote: »
    Spirituality is different for everyone as we all do generally think differently and have different sets of morality etc. To me Spirituality is getting to know your True Spirit and learning about what makes your Spirit soar and what makes it dive. Love will make your Spirit soar and grow hence we call spiritual Growth, the growth of your Spirit. The more you smile and dedicate your life/time to helping others smile and embrace Love the more your Spirit grows.

If you practice ignorance, intolerance and hatred, and other Negative emotions the more it will depress the spirit.

The choice is yours.

If you do or experience things that make you happy...you will be happy
    If you do or experience things that make you sad...you will be sad

That is all!!!

The rest is just makey-uppey!!!

The real truth is you choose to be Happy, or you choose to be sad.

The real truth is you choose to be Happy, or you choose to be sad.

Well I have depression at the moment, and I can tell you that I most certainly did not choose to feel this way, and when I felt it coming on, I did everything I could think of to prevent it.

Which is why I guess you are here in the spirituality forum looking to understand deeper things and how best to have clarity about your life.

Which is why I guess you are here in the spirituality forum looking to understand deeper things and how best to have clarity about your life.

Quite probably :)

Sorry to hear that you get depressed flutterflye.
    Everyone gets down from time to time.
    When it happens to me I try to think of good times.
    Times when I've achieved something or been happy.
    That usually works for me but I certainly wouldn't be listening to too much advice from anonymous posters on here.
    Get prof. help as early as possible is the best advice I can give to you.
    Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Well I have depression at the moment, and I can tell you that I most certainly did not choose to feel this way, and when I felt it coming on, I did everything I could think of to prevent it.

Don't fight your depression, accept that it is feelings taking place in your body and you don't know when those feelings will leave. Be ok with that.

When you accept these feelings I think you will find they aren't as powerful as they once were. Acceptance to me is a huge part of spirituality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

hey flutterflye, firstly, sorry to hear you are suffering with depression. I would echo eyescreamcone's advice of seeking professional help. It can certainly be helpful, and can be viewed as part of the broader spiritual spectrum.

The thing about spirituality is that it is simply a label. Unfortunately a lot of people have a great many pre- and mis-conceptions about what it means. For example, in his earlier post eyescreamcone confused spirituality with spiritualism - spiritualism is the belief in ghosts, angels, spirits, etc. etc. Spirituality is something different.

We could probably fill countless pages here discussing what spirituality is, and is not, but I'll try and give a brief outline of my own understanding - which, in itself, will probably do it no justice.

Spirituality is not really concerned with anything "otherworldly", it is overwhelmingly to do with the [human] mind. It is concerned with honest and open investigation of ourselves and the world around us; it is concerned with investigation into the nature of happiness; it is concerned with identifying and breaking the subconscious, habitual thought and behaviour patterns that cause unhappiness in our lives; it is concerned with challenging our deeply held assumptions about ourselves and the world around us.

It certainly isn't anything to do with [blind] faith, in fact, it is quite the opposite as this quote from the Buddha outlines
    Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

Spirituality is a discipline, or way of life, or whatever category you want to put it into, where your faculty of reasoning will stand you in good stead; it is entirely compatible with science, but would not advocate accepting everything that you read in a scientific journal, just bcos it appears in a journal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Hmm....good post Roosh. (not sure what all the 'Science, science is scary and ****, its gonna get you, science is gonna bite you' stuff is about though?)

strobe wrote: »
    Hmm....good post Roosh. (not sure what all the 'Science, science is scary and ****, its gonna get you, science is gonna bite you' stuff is about though?)

I think we both might have been a little guilty of applying our pre-conceptions; I know what I wrote probably lent itself more to misinterpretation that it could have, but I don't think it really implied the above.

What was intended was that the same reasoning should be applied to scientific information i.e. don't simply accept something because others say it is true; question it where possible and challenge the assumptions to see if they stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

roosh wrote: »
    I think we both might have been a little guilty of applying our pre-conceptions; I know what I wrote probably lent itself more to misinterpretation that it could have, but I don't think it really implied the above.

What was intended was that the same reasoning should be applied to scientific information i.e. don't simply accept something because others say it is true; question it where possible and challenge the assumptions to see if they stand up.

I think only I am guilty of that. My sincerest apologies. Being an avid reader of these forums I've become, to my shame, a little biased and gun shy when science is mentioned, as it is far too frequently, mentioned dismissively. You weren't doing that and I, far too willingly, did misinterpret you. Sorry again. Like I said, and should have left it at, good post.

strobe wrote: »
    I think only I am guilty of that. My sincerest apologies. Being an avid reader of these forums I've become, to my shame, a little biased and gun shy when science is mentioned, as it is far too frequently, mentioned dismissively. You weren't doing that and I, far too willingly, did misinterpret you. Sorry again. Like I said, and should have left it at, good post.

+1 (with regard to spirituality in other forums)

I was guilty of it myself alright, bcos when I wrote it I had a certain preconception in mind, which no doubt affected what was written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Caulego

Hi, thanks :)

Most of your post made perfect sense to me.

Still a bit stuck on what spirituality is though!
    Are you saying that spirituality is a connection with the universe and everything it embodies, has ever embodied, and ever will embody?

This is what I got from your post.
    Sorry if I misinterpreted it.

It is necessary to realise that all spirituality must be separated from religion and religious beliefs. This is because all religion is based on myth and the dogmatic belief that faith and beliefs are fact, which they are not. Spirituality is real, and based only within the reality of the certainty of fact. Too many people firmly ‘believe’ that spirituality is about religion, because thy have been taught to ‘believe’ this to be so. Religious spirituality is fantasy based on nothing that is real. It has been separated at some distance within the human mind from reason or logic.
    You are a spirit with a body. You are a mixture of animal instincts and humanity. Your humanity controls your animal, or base instincts; this being all that separates you from the lower animals. This doesn’t just mean cats, dogs, lions and tigers etc. as it also means men and women without a sufficient amount of humanity to control their base animal desires and instincts, who look human, but behave like beasts. Such people are usually controlled by self-interest and fear of retribution, and not, unfortunately, by any humanity within them. And because of this fact, which you can experience every day, so many so-called human beings are in reality just beasts of the very lowest order, so often totally lacking the humanity that is necessary to makes a real and complete human.

The spirit of man cannot be found, no matter how hard you look for it. You can open up the human skull and dissect the brain, and you will neither find a picture or a single thought. These things are not evident to the eye, yet we know that they are there, because we all experience them every day. You may ask about the realities of death, because you hope that you will live in some paradise or other after death. Yet again, this is the promise of religious leaders. For example, at most Christian funerals they will mention the “Sure and certain hope of the resurrection of the body”. Just like all things, people never really notice, nor do they even question. If such resurrection is sure, then why the need for hope? If it is certain, again, why faith? And why hope if it is sure and certain? It goes around and around, contradiction upon contradiction.
    The body is made of energy, and as energy cannot die, nor can it be destroyed, then the body returns to its elements from which it came. This leaves that spiritual thing that is the real you, that thing that you can’t put your finger on, and no one can actually see it. That is why it was originally called ‘spirit’, as it was considered to be like an ether, a vapour-like form that could be sensed by the mind, but not captured. It too is made of pure energy, and again, energy cannot die or be destroyed, so it must go on in some form or other. But we who follow The Way are not religious, and therefore will not tell you what we believe, but only that which we know for certain and can either demonstrate or prove. You can admit that it’s a good theory, but sadly it’s not yet proven.

Who and what were you before you were born? Some will say, “Nothing”. But there is no such a thing as nothing, for even nothing is something, so you must have been something. Nothing has consequence, so it can’t be nothing, it must be something. Whatever we are, we are not at all sure. We have our theories, but we don’t know anything factual or provable for sure regarding this question.
    When you see pictures of ghosts, as they have been described by people who have seen them, they are usually transparent. Those who are unfortunate enough to be supersensitive, see them in this way. Some may see one in their lifetime, some may never see anything, and many imagine they have seen something. Others lie through their teeth, for their own reasons, such as wanting to appear important, just like a small child attention-seeking. Herein lies the great confusion. Who is lying? Who is imagining things and not capable of recognising the difference? Who is telling the truth? Is it real or is it not? Religions are built on such confusion.
    It is my experience that so called ghosts or entities do exist, or I’ve lost my marbles. They are the energy of those now dead to us. It is a fair possibility that there is a parallel world, or perhaps several parallel worlds, with those who do not know that they are dead slipping backwards and forwards.
    For instance, how do you know for sure that you are alive? Can you prove it to yourself? Perhaps you are wrong, and you are just a spirit drifting in space imagining all this? Or perhaps you are already dead, reliving your past life over and over again? Then maybe you have never lived at all, and you are just dreaming your way through some spiritual existence? How do we really know? The fact is, we don’t.
    Why do you sleep? There is no actual, realistic need for you to sleep, yet we know that if you are deprived of sleep you will die; and sooner than you think. So what’s the point? There is a theory that when you sleep you go back to the source of your energy, to recharge your batteries, for want of a better word for it. Perhaps to dream your way through your many problems, and allow your subconscious mind to work its way through them. But your subconscious has no reason, so we find ourselves back at the starting point.
    Have you ever noticed how everything goes round in circles? There is no beginning and there is no end to life; it’s pure energy, and therefore, even though your body effectively rots, it in fact is just going through its natural cycle: back into earth to grow grass for the beasts to eat, and your children or grandchildren to kill the beasts, and eat them at a later date; which in turn feeds their bodies on the energy of the beast, which passes through them in faecal matter. Again, that feeds some thing that in turn feeds something else, that eventually feeds them, and then they in turn die; and on and on it goes, round and round, eternally. At least that’s the way it would be, if we, the so-called human race, the believers in that false belief in our superiority over all things, hadn’t messed it up.
    Now what about your spirit? Your thoughts? They are energy too, and in the natural world nothing is ever wasted. So you go round and round, and it’s a fair bet that even this energy is recycled, and sometimes we see it as ghosts; seeing or not seeing, depending on the level of your sensitivity, or perhaps we experience it as some sort of entity, causing chaos or bringing blessings.
    Perhaps even space ships with little red men from Mars do exist. Even fairies at the bottom of the garden; and I am not being facetious. Think about it, and it might just start to make sense to you, and make sense of a lot that confuses. It may even confuse more, but it’s a thought, isn’t it? But there is no evidence, so we are not sure, and study is needed, as all good theories have something that makes them worthy of investigation.
    If you are a believer or have a faith in any form of religion, you may well have problems living with cold fact as your only comfort. And it is a cold comfort, but you can take it to the bank of life any time and the check won’t bounce. We cannot adjust reality for excuse or humour, so we therefore have little to comfort us, except the methodical gathering of factual knowledge, which some may well see as a kind of religion.
    Belief allows excuse, which itself is, by definition, a lie. Should you rather false comfort of belief and faith than cold facts that can justify anything, and should you need to feel that there is a god or gods, angels and the like, looking over you, ready to take you to paradise when you die, and many people do, then pass me by and go your way, for where I go is not for you. Where I lead, few can follow, no matter how sensitive they may ‘believe’ themselves to be.
    No matter how intelligent you might think yourself, beware your reason, which is rendered almost useless by the falsity of belief. But, beware more so your lack of reason. Know yourself well before you venture, lest you shall be lost, in a dark place, beyond help; a forlorn place, where none shall ever find you, not even yourself.

Hope this helps ;)

A good friend of mine, who is a very experienced psychologist, told me that 'depression', or at least the clinical form of it, as distinct from the reactive type (like when your dog dies) is anger turned towards the self. Most of this kind of depression comes from a frustration with ourselves when our minds can't work out what's going on, when we can't make sense of what we are being told, taught or asked to accept. If you are a reasonably logical person you will feel that much of what mankind does makes little sense, but you may be made feel stupid when you can't figure out why. Maybe you look for reason even if there is no reason, and feel frustrated or disappointed when you can't find it? Ever think that you might be looking for something that is mainly not there, and that's why you rarely find it? Our world is running on the fuels of blind faith and stupidity, so don't expect to find much in the line of logic or reason. These are rare things, so you have to look behind the scenery of everyday life to realise why such madness is being promoted, but be warned, you may not like what you find. Truth does in fact set you free from confusion and blind belief, but if you were brough up with an appetite for belief and untruths, then you might find the change of diet a little hard to adjust to, so it's not for the faint hearted.

Caulego wrote: »
    A good friend of mine, who is a very experienced psychologist, told me that 'depression', or at least the clinical form of it, as distinct from the reactive type (like when your dog dies) is anger turned towards the self. Most of this kind of depression comes from a frustration with ourselves when our minds can't work out what's going on, when we can't make sense of what we are being told, taught or asked to accept. If you are a reasonably logical person you will feel that much of what mankind does makes little sense, but you may be made feel stupid when you can't figure out why. Maybe you look for reason even if there is no reason, and feel frustrated or disappointed when you can't find it? Ever think that you might be looking for something that is mainly not there, and that's why you rarely find it? Our world is running on the fuels of blind faith and stupidity, so don't expect to find much in the line of logic or reason. These are rare things, so you have to look behind the scenery of everyday life to realise why such madness is being promoted, but be warned, you may not like what you find. Truth does in fact set you free from confusion and blind belief, but if you were brough up with an appetite for belief and untruths, then you might find the change of diet a little hard to adjust to, so it's not for the faint hearted.

I definitely agree with your friend.
    But my depression usually comes (this time included) from me burning myself empty - trying to be a million things to a million people, forgetting myself.
    So then I become overly stressed.
    Then my sleep goes out the window for a few weeks/months.
    Then my diet.
    Next thing I know I'm in a heap of depression.
    Sorry, but in my case anyway, it has little to do with 'truth' etc...
    Thanks though.

I definitely agree with your friend.
    But my depression usually comes (this time included) from me burning myself empty - trying to be a million things to a million people, forgetting myself.
    So then I become overly stressed.
    Then my sleep goes out the window for a few weeks/months.
    Then my diet.
    Next thing I know I'm in a heap of depression.
    Sorry, but in my case anyway, it has little to do with 'truth' etc...
    Thanks though.

Do you really think not? Once you realise the truth of what you are doing, and why you are trying to do these things, then it becomes apparent, doesn't it?
    Truth is not some 'out there' thing, but in the very nature of every thought and action we perform. Forgetting your own physical and spiritual/mental needs is just as unbalanced as doing the opposite i.e. being self-centered and hell-bent.
    Life, as I have learned to great cost and reward, is not all about being all things to all people, as that is neither necessary or indeed possible. I've been there, for all the wrong reasons, and it was only when I saw the truth of what I was both doing and not doing that the light came on, and then things changed. It took someone outside of me, someone who was more objective than my own limited view, to trigger the possibility that I might not be on the right track, though for the most part I would have at that time completely denied being unbalanced, but the fact was the fact as it was, and until I took a good hard look and asked for directions I would probably never have known any better. To have knowledge is said to be good, but to have realisation is essential, and it all depends on how well you know yourself :)

Take care

Advertisement