Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker positioning

Options
  • 03-07-2011 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

I am setting up my newly acquired Sony surround sound system (DAV-DZ260), and want to mount the speakers (SS-TS80) on the wall. I'm not fully up to speed on such matters and wanted some guidance on speaker placement.

As you can see from the attached diagram of the room layout, I have the TV in one corner of the room. Most of the time watching movies etc. I'd be sitting on the couch or on chair 1. What I had in mind was to place the speakers in each corner (the stars), with the centre speaker just below the TV and the subwoofer to the right of the TV (the triangle in the diagram).

My questions are these:

- Does this set-up make sense, i.e. having the speakers distributed like this, with the centre speaker not being in the centre?

- How high above head level should the speakers be mounted?

I'll be using the system equally for movies and music, and am not necessarily looking for optimum performance - just good performance will be fine!

I'll be callibrating the speakers using the mic once I have it set up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Hey Peckham, I actually have the same AIO system as you :D

My two cents, 5.1 systems are going to be very difficult to set up with a tv placed in a corner, mainly to do with speaker placement and acoustics.

Attached is what I would do, if you dont like this then what I would suggest is moving the front-right to the other side of the door, next to the chimney and the front-left just a bit left of the tv and move the rear-right to between chair 1 and 2. Again this isnt ideal, but its something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Attached is what I would do....

+1, my thoughts also.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

eddiem74 wrote: »
    +1, my thoughts also.

+1 from me also

Why oh why do most homes built in the last 15 years have that same awkward layout???? A pet hate of mine is seeing a TV in a corner;)

Advertisement