Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

david wrote: »
    My first watch was one of these in the early/mid nineties. I bought with my pocket money at the arcade in Tramore. I loved that thing, especially the light. Wore it for years until the strap disintegrated.

The force is strong with these Casio’s lately. Always wanted a g shock but they were too expensive for me. I remember repeatedly flicking through the Argos catalogue lusting over them as a kid. 25 years on I’m flicking through Internet forums lusting for them again. Some things don’t change.

The ga2100 is a nice g-shock if you want something thinner than the normal ones. And lots of surprisingly decent quality metal conversion kits for 60-70 euro on aliexpress too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Cienciano wrote: »
    The ga2100 is a nice g-shock if you want something thinner than the normal ones. And lots of surprisingly decent quality metal conversion kits for 60-70 euro on aliexpress too.
    Was contemplating one of those last year, not sure I'm mad on the shape/dial size.

If I was to get a Casio again it'd be a square. Either the most basic solar JDM one or the DLC coated titanium one knowing me. I don't do in-betweens. :pac:

Casio-G-SHOCK-GMW-B5000TB-103.jpg

Yeah, the original look is hard to beat.

I think if they sold a nice metal chunky one with a clean dial (no alarm, stopwatch etc) they'd sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

If casio add solar/atomic to that, I'm definitely buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Talking of G-Shocks, a decent deal today on DW-5600s

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007DSRSMA?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

NIMAN wrote: »
    Talking of G-Shocks, a decent deal today on DW-5600s

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007DSRSMA?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

That's a great price for a great watch.
    I've one a few years and love it.
    Great for days when you don't want to trash your good watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

sparrowcar wrote: »
    That's a great price for a great watch.
    I've one a few years and love it.
    Great for days when you don't want to trash your good watches.

That looks a great price - how do you find the legibility of the negative display though?

I had a negative display before, it looks cool but definitely hard to read.

I think the GBX100 is supposed to be the best negative display for legibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

PunkIPA wrote: »
    That looks a great price - how do you find the legibility of the negative display though?

Personally I never had an issue with legibility.
    I might be the g-shock but the negative display is very good.

I had a negative display before, it looks cool but definitely hard to read
    I am the same. I have a few from back in the day but as a rule I don't buy them now. I just prefer the legibility of a regular LCD.

A lot of people love them and have no problem with legibility. It's one of those things to try before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's a low starting price for a Pogue, might get a bargain if you made him a sneaky offer

Not shipping to Ireland though :(

And even if they did, you'd be hit for shipping costs, 23% VAT and admin costs for clearing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The dial's been replaced with a new/spurious one and the inner bezel is the wrong kind for that dial. I suspect it originally had the black dial(which I prefer tbh), but the "Pogue" colours sell for more. The hands look too fresh too. The bezel is a replacement with it. Note the chrono hand isn't quite lined up with the 12 marker. These are a complete pain in the bum to line up. Seiko could do it when new, but even watchmakers have trouble. So they weren't put on by Seiko.

Personally I think the Pogues are massively overvalued at the moment. I can understand extra value attached to the early Water Resist or better yet Water proof dials, but these were on sale for many years and were made in big numbers. But even if that wasn't an issue, because of their value jumps and the Seiko community already having a history in the modding hobby end of things and manufacturers supplying that, a large percentage, if not a majority of Pogues today are made up with some spurious parts. There are to few honest ones imho.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This popped up in my news feed. Richard Branson's watch of choice is one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

This popped up in my news feed. Richard Branson's watch of choice is one of these

Has he finished shilling Bulova?

Oops, wrong thread, though it was who watches the watchman
    Fitz II wrote: »
    Has he finished shilling Bulova?

Yeah, me mentions that in the article. Obviously not done for the money, suppose when you're that rich you just do things like that which sound interesting.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The dial's been replaced with a new/spurious one and the inner bezel is the wrong kind for that dial. I suspect it originally had the black dial(which I prefer tbh), but the "Pogue" colours sell for more. The hands look too fresh too. The bezel is a replacement with it. Note the chrono hand isn't quite lined up with the 12 marker. These are a complete pain in the bum to line up. Seiko could do it when new, but even watchmakers have trouble. So they weren't put on by Seiko.

Personally I think the Pogues are massively overvalued at the moment. I can understand extra value attached to the early Water Resist or better yet Water proof dials, but these were on sale for many years and were made in big numbers. But even if that wasn't an issue, because of their value jumps and the Seiko community already having a history in the modding hobby end of things and manufacturers supplying that, a large percentage, if not a majority of Pogues today are made up with some spurious parts. There are to few honest ones imho.

Have to agree with all that Wibbs. Good unmolested ones will either be very expensive or still have to come out of grandad's sock drawer. What should be on the dial for August '74? I really only stuck it up as someone might want it for a birth year or month watch. One bid on it now.

Edit; sold.

GBP183, that was pretty cheap, even if it is far from original?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah, especially in todays market for them. And you could buy the same spurious parts for a few quid and "improve" it so it looks correct and flog it for at least twice that. Looking at sold listings they seem to go for between 3-500 euro on average.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

A mate who does rebuilds and has done a fair few Pogues has said all of this.

Nearly every one available for less than a king's ransom is a franken. As long as buyer's are aware of this, it is not an issue, but few are without expertise.

• Advertisement

I like the look of them, but the lug width seems far too small for a big watch like that. Just looked it up and it's only 19mm :D

I guess you could fit a 20mm NATO on it, but the bracelet just looks wrong imho

Nice collection of aliexpress watches here:

Thanks C, very hard to resist the first Seagull chrono.

This is pretty amazing for under €50 delivered. Seiko movement.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

This is pretty amazing for under €50 delivered. Seiko movement.

Some of the captions under that are hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

It would appear Cadisen know the value of their products.

Pretty amazing what they can do in china for the money. I'm not a fan of homages, I'd rather see unique designs no matter how weird, but can understand the draw of sales from homages. Will be interesting to see where they'll be in 20 years if a few companies put their mind to it.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Thanks C, very hard to resist the first Seagull chrono.
    I like the second diver and the first wacky Ciga one. The prices are very impressive indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Something nice about the green Seagull military watch at 10:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've wanted a Seagull for a while. 'She who must be obeyed' would kill me if I bought another watch

Advertisement