Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

A couple of Sinn 656's went up and were sold on TZ-UK over the last few days. They reminded me that I really, really, really, really want a 556 or a 656.

Alas, I'll need to sell my Seiko Sarb035 and Casio Protrek PRG510 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Strange series of adds...read all comments....

http://www.adverts.ie/casual/breitling-colt-automatic/5429889

Seller then withdrew about add and listed new add below (added 200 to selling price) and then reactivated first add

http://www.adverts.ie/casual/breitling-colt/5440407

Tempted to take a punt as I am sure it is a real but not sure of its source. Worth the risk for 500 which I think would buy it? my heart says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

893bet wrote: »
    Strange series of adds...read all comments....

http://www.adverts.ie/casual/breitling-colt-automatic/5429889

Seller then withdrew about add and listed new add below (added 200 to selling price) and then reactivated first add

http://www.adverts.ie/casual/breitling-colt/5440407

Tempted to take a punt as I am sure it is a real but not sure of its source. Worth the risk for 500 which I think would buy it? my heart says no.

Nice contrast with the adidas tracksuit bottoms :D

Seller has 3/7 negative feedback. Has never previously sold a watch, but is now selling two (three if you just go by active ads) high end watches at the same time?

TomCo wrote: »
    Nice contrast with the adidas tracksuit bottoms :D

lol. Had missed that.

TomCo wrote: »
    , but is now selling two (three if you just go by active ads) high end watches at the same time?

Yeah it just doesnt sit right. The other high end watch was his grandfathers allegedly. Yet when challenged about the Breitling he took it to a jewelers (I believe he did as he was unsure himself if it was real from his comments) to check its authenticity. Why would you have a watch and not know if it was real or not.

Gonna pass on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Never mind that the Cartier looks like it's been torn off the wrist.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

893bet wrote: »
    Yet when challenged about the Breitling he took it to a jewelers (I believe he did as he was unsure himself if it was real from his comments) to check its authenticity. Why would you have a watch and not know if it was real or not.

Gonna pass on it.

And yet the jeweler didn't tell him whether it was automatic or quartz!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

This one tickled me. Obviously the chap who banned the use of Ottoman numerals and the use of the arabic script throughout Turkey would be delighted to see his face on the dial of this one.

$_57.JPG
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEMAL-ATATURK-LION-OF-TURKEY-IMPORTANT-OTTOMAN-ART-38-mm-WRIST-WATCH-/151281457583?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item233913d9af

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One I spotted a few weeks ago on our very own Adverts. http://www.adverts.ie/dress/omega-electronic/5249834
    An Omega f300 tuning fork chronometer. The chap selling says the first 200 quid can take it. That. Is. A. Bargain. :eek: Try 3-400 quid on the bay on a good day. Factor in a service for under 80 quid and you have a very nice watch. Put it another way, how much would an Omega auto chronometer fetch? Really, if you ever wanted to get into a tuning fork type watch then this is screaming at you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

Wibbs wrote: »
    One I spotted a few weeks ago on our very own Adverts. http://www.adverts.ie/dress/omega-electronic/5249834
    An Omega f300 tuning fork chronometer. The chap selling says the first 200 quid can take it. That. Is. A. Bargain. :eek: Try 3-400 quid on the bay on a good day. Factor in a service for under 80 quid and you have a very nice watch. Put it another way, how much would an Omega auto chronometer fetch? Really, if you ever wanted to get into a tuning fork type watch then this is screaming at you.

damn you! clicked the link and had to buy, awaiting delivery now...

• Advertisement

Good call. :) Seriously though that IMH is a real bargain. The time setting doodahs at the bottom of the forks look slightly askew, but no worries and nothing a service won't clear. But yea IMHO that is an effin steal. I was so tempted, but my wallet cried foul and I'm not an Omega man so... But... Kudos Sir and another f300 to join your other one. :)

Just a warning against buying cheap watches from India on ebay (do I even need to go further?) purporting to be serviced.

Bought a Henri Sandoz on impulse for 20 euro with free shipping without proper investigation. Dial is a poor repaint (indicies are off center and the white paint is stippled) and the movement is in poor shape. It runs for a few hours at a time before stopping, starts again with a good shake.

+1 India as a general rule is a market to be avoided like the very plague. Redails are a near 100% given. Even when you do see the odd honest watch all to often the climate has played havoc with the innards(and the dials hence so many redialc). And as you say servicing is an interesting concept. A common one is the whiff of WD40 when you pop the back case.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good call. :) Seriously though that IMH is a real bargain. The time setting doodahs at the bottom of the forks look slightly askew, but no worries and nothing a service won't clear. But yea IMHO that is an effin steal. I was so tempted, but my wallet cried foul and I'm not an Omega man so... But... Kudos Sir and another f300 to join your other one. :)

yeah, I'm looking forward to getting it now, I unfortunately have the same disease as a few on here as a watch hoarder, this will be my 3rd f300hz. they are all different models however...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I know I'm positing this in not buying, but I could be tempted by it.

Only a couple of hours to run on this Sinn 556A and currently at £375. Seller only has a feedback score of 1 (from selling another watch), so a bit of a risk in that regard, but I guess paypal should cover you. Does the movement look correct? I sent them a message about it and box, papers and receipt are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I know I'm positing this in not buying, but I could be tempted by it.

Only a couple of hours to run on this Sinn 556A and currently at £375. Seller only has a feedback score of 1 (from selling another watch), so a bit of a risk in that regard, but I guess paypal should cover you. Does the movement look correct? I sent them a message about it and box, papers and receipt are included.

I don't think I'd be taking the chance when the user only has a fb score of 1. There was a 656 on tz-uk head only a while back for £400. I'd expect a full 556 to go for £400 to £550 depending on condition.

I don't think I'd be taking the chance when the user only has a fb score of 1. There was a 656 on tz-uk head only a while back for £400. I'd expect a full 556 to go for £400 to £550 depending on condition.

Cheers. I didn't bid, couldn't figure out if the movement looked genuine based on the picture versus pictures from the net. It went for £411 in the end.

Is TZ-UK still closed to new members? I keep getting an error when trying to sign up.

Link trouble

Anyone seen the 18k rolex that's been on adverts 3or 4 times in the last few days with the owner willing to take 600 for it? Keeps getting removed.

Assuming it's real, which I think it is, would you buy it knowing that it is prob stolen or similar ?

I wouldn't personally. Same as I don't wear a nice watch to impress anyone, rather for my own benefit as I just like them it would ruin it for me mentally. Yeah yoh might get it cheap and no one else would know you hadn't shelled out the going rate....but I would know.

• Advertisement

Probably not to everyone's taste, but Brown Thomas has a Rado Ceramica chronograph reduced to €900 in the sale. One only from what I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Prometheus Baji, got outbid by Stg£2.00, went for 127 in the end.
    Not sure whether it was a bargain or not, but I likey, any opinions as to the quality V price?
    When it comes to buying tritium, I would imagine that the year of manufacture is a deciding factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

090621_on_hand-max-900.jpg

the latest special edition model

http://www.meranom.com/

Reason I'm not buying ...I got too bloody many of them already

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

peasant wrote: »
    090621_on_hand-max-900.jpg

the latest special edition model

http://www.meranom.com/

Reason I'm not buying ...I got too bloody many of them already

That's a beautiful watch. Was amazed when I clicked link and saw price. Would you recommend? Not a big watch expert. Base all my decisions on looks ;o)

I think I will bag me one of those

Collie D wrote: »
    Would you recommend?

I've got like 15 of them ...so I mightn't be what you'd call impartial :D

...'course I would ....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Collie D wrote: »
    Was amazed when I clicked link and saw price. Would you recommend?

Great looking, sturdy and fairly well built, automatic watches for around €60-€90 delivered. Why wouldn't we recommend? :)

Do budget for buying a new strap, most of the ones the Vostoks come with are rubbish. I've got one and the strap went in the bin a few seconds after I opened the box :D

The mesh (and the other straps) for the special edition models are actually of very good quality and perfectly useable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hi guys, I am new to the forum, but I have a question on a couple of watches I am thinking of buying, any way a new user can throw up a link, or do I have to wait for 50 posts..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

You should probably start a new thread and you can still copy and paste the links into your post, they just won't be active

Advertisement