Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭the goon

Wow Peasant that's a beautiful watch. I can't seem to find it when I click on the link. Could you tell me what the model is?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the goon wrote: »
    Wow Peasant that's a beautiful watch. I can't seem to find it when I click on the link. Could you tell me what the model is?

Cheers

The model is one of the 090 SE models ...and currently sold out

http://www.meranom.com/amphibian-se/090se/

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭onform

peasant wrote: »
    The model is one of the 090 SE models ...and currently sold out

http://www.meranom.com/amphibian-se/090se/

Darn you to heck, Peasant. Back in stock and I bought one. One left according to the stock availability now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

all gone..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭the goon

Just got in there last night and got one!

• Advertisement

Meranom have added some more 090 special editions, one of them is the same as the one posted by Peasant but has a black leather strap instead of mesh:

http://www.meranom.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=124_129&product_id=998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

onform wrote: »
    Meranom have added some more 090 special editions, one of them is the same as the one posted by Peasant but has a black leather strap instead of mesh:

http://www.meranom.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=124_129&product_id=998

...and the mesh would be available separately here: :D

http://www.meranom.com/amphibian-classic/spare-parts/vostok-watch-mesh-bracelet-22mm.html

More availability of the 090 Special Editions, including the one mentioned above (With mesh Strap):

http://www.meranom.com/amphibian-se/090se/vostok-watch-amphibian-se-090621b

Mine arrived in the Dublin mail centre today, so hopefully will receive it in the next day or two :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭893bet

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Ryano87

onform wrote: »
    More availability of the 090 Special Editions, including the one mentioned above (With mesh Strap):

Mine arrived in the Dublin mail centre today, so hopefully will receive it in the next day or two :)

Just bought my first Russian watch on a whim! - Thanks guys :-P If it's not bargain alerts or motors its watches and timepieces draining my money ha ha

vostok-watch-amphibian-se-090621b.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've been lurking in this forum for a while now as watches are becoming more interesting to me. I've been intrigued by the Vostok watches, so I purchased an Amphibia 420059 online yesterday to see what the quality is like.

russian-military-vostok-komandirskie-tank-watch-211306.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hi Guys, Amazaon have some good prices on Oris watches at the moment... Are Oris watches a respectable brand. I was onto their website and did a google... but a lot of the stuff is clearly advertising/promotional guff... Any experienced Oris watch owners here..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Hi Guys, Amazaon have some good prices on Oris watches at the moment... Are Oris watches a respectable brand. I was onto their website and did a google... but a lot of the stuff is clearly advertising/promotional guff... Any experienced Oris watch owners here..?

Yes, Oris are a decent brand, good quality for the price. I have a TT1 which is as tough as old boots and an Artelier WorldTimer which most certainly isn't but it looks great.

I would say that a lot of the RRPs quoted on the watches on Amazon are inflated though so they may not be as much of a bargain as they appear. Check out CW Sellors to see the prices in a UK AD for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

How they can make them at that price and profit is crazy.

Hate gold though so need to find a steel one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

TomCo wrote: »

Roughly the same as the Amazon price then?

A little cheaper when you take delivery into account.

Just reserved the last two in my local.

• Advertisement

If something in B&M is the same as the Amazon price its generally a bargain!

Just spent the morning trying on the Omega AT skyfall. Was buying a pandora charm so too advantage of shop assistant.

The dial is unbelievable. A bargain at 4190.....not really.

893bet wrote: »
    Just spent the morning trying on the Omega AT skyfall. Was buying a pandora charm so too advantage of shop assistant.

I really like them. Maybe even more than their Rolex Explorer equivalent...not sure. Good value to be had second hand too. I agree the price for a new one is very steep.

I really like them. Maybe even more than their Rolex Explorer equivalent...not sure. Good value to be had second hand too. I agree the price for a new one is very steep.

The dial is hypnotic I swear. Dazzling.

They will sell for 3600 is say. He dropped to 3850 immediately. Still dear. They are rare enough second hand and still dear. 2500 sterling I saw one go for I think so still over 3000 euro plus the risk of buying online from a strange second hand.

I think it's either splash out or wait a few years till they get more common second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

893bet wrote: »

I had to have a quick look at this online... and found this thread and post...
    very beautiful watch...

forums.watchuseek. com/f20/skyfall-omega-full-view-bond-671076-95.html#post5666020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Here is a non bargain that I will not be buying.
    A prototype of the first calculator watch.

hp01.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIQUE-1977-Hewlett-Packard-HP-01-CHROME-PROTOTYPE-LED-calculator-digital-watch-/191281166500?afsrc=1
    The HP-01 was a particularly garish monstrosity, its golden chassis festooned with teensy number and operator buttons, but it look at it! It's the pinnacle of retro alpha nerd chic. Really, the only way to top one of those is if you owned some super-rare, unreleased version that languished behind closed doors for years. Well, now you can. It's a prototype, it's made of stainless steel, and it'll only set you back $14,500... assuming you take this eBay seller's word for it. Waste of money? A small price to pay for a bit of forgotten tech history? That's up to you, but you've still got time to decide -- the auction's slated to run for another eight days at time of writing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bargain Cheap arse watch I did buy today. Was in a newsagents and they were flogging off old stock and I saw a few copies of that "Military Watches" magazine that was out a while ago, that came with a "free" watch. Well they had one with the Seikosha World war two Japanese air and navy pilots watch which I always loved, the original based on a pre war Zenith movement. For a fiver. So for a laugh... And here it is(the cheap copy of course). :)

35l8b68.jpg

48mm across and surprisingly comes with a stitched genuine leather strap. The dial printing won't win any awards but it's not that bad and the hands aren't bad at all. Both are a good facsimile of the original. The movement(they make much of it being Japanese) is teeny and surrounded by a plastic moulding. Given how small it is I'm impressed it can drive such long hands for its size. Must have a torquey enough stepping motor. It has a loud tick that much I can say.

2ptt6c1.jpg

The back appears to be stainless steel of some nature and even has a turned finish and stamped in details of the watch. Keeps accurate time. One nice feature is that the second hand precisely lines up with the minute markers. I've seen some big name quartz that don't. Water resistant and with a 2 year warranty.

The original price for the magazine(which is shíte BTW) was 9.99 sterling or 14.99 euros in "Eire". I dunno the markup on magazines but I can't imagine it's that low. It really goes to illustrate how very cheaply a passable watch can be designed and produced and still turn a profit. Mad Ted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When the dark evenings roll in and my hands get idle I'm tempted to make that above fake Seikosha pilots watch look more like the real deal.
    a67.jpg
    I have a selection of onion crowns of around the right size so that part should be easy enough. Roughing up the case would be the next hurdle. Shotblasting would be the way to go there I reckon and I know a car mechanic with one of those booths. The dial and hands should be easy enough to age up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    When the dark evenings roll in and my hands get idle I'm tempted to make that above fake Seikosha pilots watch look more like the real deal.
    I have a selection of onion crowns of around the right size so that part should be easy enough. Roughing up the case would be the next hurdle. Shotblasting would be the way to go there I reckon and I know a car mechanic with one of those booths. The dial and hands should be easy enough to age up.

I can't understand how they got the font so wrong on the quartz copy though..

Maybe it's just the arabic 2's but you'd think they could have done a better job given the prominence of the 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »

Defo tooooo much time on your hands......

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement