Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

319082.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am in Tokyo this week and went to the Ginza district for a gander. It is one of those places that has loads of vintage watch shops.

I think i need therapy after the visit....I saw some real beauties....some mad expensive (usual big names) and some more than reasonable.

Strangely I did not make a purchase...I will be out here later in the year and may treat myself then.
    The vintage watch market is big out here, but the big names go for a very pretty yen. They do very seem over priced, but lots have papers etc.

Some of the more unusual stuff though can be had at a good price. If ya like the funky looking 70s stuff then this is your mecca.

Have a gander at this site for some of the luxury stuff. Use translate function of chrome.
    https://timepeaks.com/shop/watch_shop_tokyo_japan/

I am liking the look of these bad boys....

hpwatchlead.png

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cool!

HP smartwatch. Going on sale this Friday. Here is the launch site: linky

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What kills it dead for me anyway is the pixelated hands and the overall pixelated vibe on everything. That's rough looking.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Whats the story with the round dial..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Whats the story with the round dial..

Disclaimer. I have an 'association' with the maker of these watches.
    I have no idea what the round dial is about, one minute I like it...another I dont.
    Still want to get my mits on one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ahhh....looked at website

The dial is the actual time...

Mad that

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Nearly pulled the trigger on an skx007 from creation. Must be at least the 6th time over the past year that I've filled in my address and paypal details for one before my conscience kicks in and I back off. Need to reduce the collection a bit more first..

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I've worn my skx pretty much every day since I bought it last December. I got it from the rakuten site when they were doing free international delivery, 90 euro delivered.

I was lucky with the customs lucky dip though!

I have it on a hirsch, so I guess it's a diving imposter!

• Advertisement

G rock wrote: »
    I've worn my skx pretty much every day since I bought it last December. I got it from the rakuten site when they were doing free international delivery, 90 euro delivered.

I was lucky with the customs lucky dip though!

I have it on a hirsch, so I guess it's a diving imposter!

Hi, I remember that. I'm hoping they run that free delivery deal again some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For sale from today. But only ships to USA :rolleyes:

€363 for the normal one and €675 for the limited (300) edition one. Not cheap!

Linky

unkel wrote: »

Linky

I have completely gone off this one. The 'smart' functionality is not very smart IMO. Just showing you what is on the status bar on your phone.
    After that you really have just a normal watch, good looking yes, but needs recharging weekly.

So, for now, am sticking with good old fashioned pinions and cogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It looks like the integration is a bit deeper than that, looking at their site.

Weekly recharging is actually pretty good for a smartwatch, many of the others are daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

unkel wrote: »

Linky

Will this be available in a proper shop? Going to NY next week but would want to see one in the flesh before buying, don't know if I could live with the pixelation of the clock face.

It'll be obsolete in 6 month's. Can't see any value or real innovation in these at all personally.

One of the jewellers in the ilac centre has an skx009 on display. 33% off too.

Now only......... €288. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It'll be obsolete in 6 month's. Can't see any value or real innovation in these at all personally.

Every piece of electronics you buy is nearly obsolete when you buy it. Mechanical watches are obsolete as you can get a digital watch for €10 that keeps better time. These items usually aren't purchased for anything other than the fact that the person likes it and has the money to spare.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Every piece of electronics you buy is nearly obsolete when you buy it. Mechanical watches are obsolete as you can get a digital watch for €10 that keeps better time. These items usually aren't purchased for anything other than the fact that the person likes it and has the money to spare.

Taste is a personal thing and even my own tastes have a habit of flip flopping when it comes to watches ,so I'm not going to argue with you.

Here is a bargain watch that I am buying. A smart watch for $43 anyone?
    I am not expecting much, but the features seem good and sure it will be a nice gimmick to show the lads in the pub over the christmas.

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_79419.html

1410473352943-P-2007728.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh dear. Bought that skx007 from creation last night during a moment of weakness. I'm going to put my Sarb035, Protrek PRG510 and GShock M5610 up in the sales section later today to try and redress the imbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Pebble Smartwatch currently in Amazon flash sale at £75.

I have never been to an old fashioned auction before, but may just wander in to this one next tuesday.
    Some interesting pieces up for auction.

http://www.jwa.ie/en/auctions/browse/2014-11-25/list/lot/2/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Don't forget to add auction fees on top of any prices you see there.. Usually around 15% or so. I've been to another Dublin auction house with a few of the other members on the watch forum and people *generally* end up paying a good bit over the estimate and then fees on top of that means you rarely get any bargains at these auctions.
    There are professional traders and retailers at these every day of the week looking to pick up a bargain and sell them on. Go in advance and examine anything that's of interest to you. Do your homework and know what they go for second hand and stick to your limit and don't get dragged into a bidding war! That's my 0.2 cents

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but Creationwatches have started their Black Friday sale, link. Not sure I want to click into it tbh, after picking up that lovely Casio from Mredsnapper I went and bought another soon after! Damn watch bug got me again. :o

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this but Creationwatches have started their Black Friday sale, link. Not sure I want to click into it tbh, after picking up that lovely Casio from Mredsnapper I went and bought another soon after! Damn watch bug got me again. :o

What did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Only 64 euros now for a Pebble watch!

https://getpebble.com

Advertisement