Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

That's actually quite nice I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the new "35" series of komandirskie has 100m water resistance and a stainless steel case...some even are of the 24h variant ... no pics on the dial though

350641-600x900.jpg

http://meranom.com/komandirskie-classic/35/

yours for 55 US

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I also appreciate that it's a Submarine watch that is merely water resistant.:D
    Actually the Amphibia(the orange strap fella) case design and water proofing engineering solution is a very clever and good one. Arguably better than any others out there and I include all the top Swiss boys here BTW. The Soviet team that came up with this had to come up with a fresh design that didn't encroach on any swiss patents, like the Rolex Oyster screwdown crown for example. How did they do this?

Well the crystals were acrylic and machined in such a way to be a very tight interference fit with the case and as the pressure increased with depth the seal got ever tighter. Compared to the screwfront bezel with non flexible mineral glass and gaskets and such, the Soviet design was/is more elegant, simpler and less likely to fail. The Crown is a screwdown type, but quite different to say the Rolex. When it's unscrewed it feels all wobbly and can make you think it broken, but nope. The design has a separate link in the crown stem that means that any shock to the crown screwed in or not doesn't transmit to the movement itself.

Lastly the caseback, which gets all sorts of clever. In other watch designs when you take off the caseback for a service you have to replace the rubber gaskets. Because they are under tremendous twisting pressure and are thin, they're a one use item. However on the amphibia the caseback gasket is made of a specially developed rubber compound and it's flat and wide, more like a washer than a thin ring. The Caseback is in two parts. The first part that engages with the gasket, the second screws down to secure the first. This means that the gasket doesn't get twisted, so can be reused time and time again. It also means that like the crystal with increasing depth, the pressure increases the water resistance.

Basically designs like the oyster case are static in the face of pressure. They're built very strong to resist it, the Amphibia is dynamically dealing with the pressure(the SuperCompressor cases of the 60/70's did similar but in a different way). I've seen 30 year old examples that were very worn looking easily pass their original pressure specs. IMHO if this design was in a big name brand it would get all sorts of kudos for being bloody clever.

The movements are Russian tractors. No frills, but get the job done and if one dies, you can chuck it and get a replacement for a tenner kinda thing(though they're hard to kill). No quickset date though and the autos can grind a bit. They are very variable on timekeeping I've found. The current vintage one I have after a bit of fiddling is pretty damn good, not too far off 5 secs a day. The watches in general are tough buggers. There is(or was) a Youtube vid where a Russian lad clearly with money to burn drives over a Rolex Sub(IIRC) and then a cheapo Vostok Amphibia and the Rolex is busted to hell, but the Vostok keeps on going. In Soviet Russia, watch winds you. :)

Here's mine.

vy08dl.jpg

Early 80's yoke.

TL;DR? cheap and cheerful, built like a T34 tank, dials can be gaudy, rare vintage ones are a minefield of Ukrainian fakes. Great design.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

• Advertisement

Thank you for that link kind sir, come next payday I will certainly trouble my PayPal to see if I can manage the necessary Roubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

No worries Dr. F.

I'm with you on the Russian watches btw. Contrary to the thread title I did buy this one yesterday.
    Spelling mistake of Kivorskie instead of Kirovskie probably meant it flew under the radar a bit.
    Been on the hunt for a dress watch with 'slash' indices for a while so that's another box ticked.

Very tasty! Quite elegant actually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

blue5000 wrote: »
    For anyone still looking for a longines, not from ww2 though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231560131907?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wibbs if you could work some interweb magic and show a few photos that would be great.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Pictures were introduced…
    $_12.JPG

That's a nice one B. 250? I reckon that'll get it. Just one word of warning though, the postage adds 50 quid to the end price and chances are high you'll get hit with customs charges on top. Though in my personal experience it's the US stuff that they always stop, so...

Went for €114 after, I would prefer something like this than spend 10 x the price on a new one from the heritage series.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You really can't go wrong at under 120 quid. That's Argos Chinese quartz watch territory, for a vintage Longines with inhouse movement. Crazy.

Prices seem to be all over the place at the moment and can be hard to read ahead of time. The higher BIN prices on the bay from dealers and the like seem to stay unsold month after month. Even equivalent Omega's that would normally get more interest and at least a third, if not double a Longines are pretty stagnant at the mo.

Oddly this stagnation seems to be more at the real low end, no way is it that cheap end of the market. The thousand quid plus stuff is shifting pretty quickly. I've even seen a high starting price with reserve Omega that sold for 1200 euro, yet the same model in open low start no reserve auction barely struggled past 300.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ok this won't turn out to be a "bargain", not as far as what it'll likely end up going for. However this is a very rare watch. Longines very first diver from 1959 in original condition. This "Nautilus" came before the two crown compressor cased example that the new Longines Legend Diver copies.
    $_57.JPG

The two crown compressor type I've seen get 2000 just for a case. Yep. How much is the RRP on a new Legend Diver? About the same at two grand? This auction has six odd days to go and it's already at the hundred quid mark(with daftly pricey postage). If I was fuller of wallet I'd throw three grand at that all the day long. I'd not be surprised to see it go for more if enough spot it. It may get ignored as it's not got the usual dial with luminous markers, but this is a variant, though I've only ever seen one before this example. Possibly a short run for a customer who didn't want radioactive watches, similar to the Blancpain FF no radiations?. Interestingly Longines original adverts for this watch promotes an "anti radiation" shield under the dial so appears it was of some issue.

home_image.2359653.jpg

IMH you're looking at as much of an "investment" watch as you might find, especially considering recent big auction house results for rarer items.

Then again much of that is a hyper inflation of the market, especially when you see pretty common watches going for mad money on the back of auction house spiel, auction fever and sites like Hooooodinkee which of late seem to be getting more shilly for the big auctioneers and dealers by the day. Their most recent Loupe article a good example.

Still, these particular Longines are actually rare, not bloggist/aution house catalogue rare. Only made in a run of 300 and the non trit dial would have been even rarer. You'll see more Blancpain fifty fathoms and Rolex divers from this 50's period coming along. Far more.

That bakelite bezel is putting me off:)

*bans Bluey on general principle* :D funny enough that bezel is in pretty good nick. Many, if not most I've seen have been far ropier. If it ends up going for less than a grand that's bargain of the decade time IMHO. Less than two grand would be a steal.

I'll cast the bones now and reckon 1800 to 2200 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

*bans Bluey on general principle* :D funny enough that bezel is in pretty good nick. Many, if not most I've seen have been far ropier. If it ends up going for less than a grand that's bargain of the decade time IMHO. Less than two grand would be a steal.

I'll cast the bones now and reckon 1800 to 2200 quid.

With so many repaints and scammers, do we believe that there is a nautilus different to all others given the volumes?
    Such small numbers and suddenly a previously undiscovered variant arises?
    It absolutely does happen, perhaps internet plus ebay makes us terminal sceptics.

Oh sure FM, though I have seen one other like this. I'll try and dig it up. On the plus side, it's the right case and caseback, movement, bezel and dial layout(not 100% on the crown). The serial number's a goer for the year too(and an email to Longines could confirm if it was fitted to a diver). If someone was trying to ready up a dodgy one from a collection of old parts that matched it wouldn't be the easiest task, especially considering the low production numbers.

Another possibility might be it is original, but the original dial and hands were wrecked by moisture, so a redial and new hands were sought? Or just the hands were buggered and the tritium/radium was removed and a handset that fit was found? Maybe that's what happened with the other one I saw(that particular examples bezel was fecked though, extremely worn, so it's not the same watch). I have seen a few with the original style hands that were pretty corroded. Ditto for the original super compressor version(though those cases were better sealers). Without screwdown crowns you're relying on the newness of the gaskets. Another point in its favour is of all things the seconds hand. It's a bit of a "design flaw" in the original as it looks a little too short for the indices.

I take your point on the low volume front, though back in the day when buyers and companies were far less anal and collectors didn't really exist you could get quite the production variations going on. More than today anyway. Look at the crazy vintage Rolex market with the "rare dials" that spring up because of said variation.

If I was in the market for this watch, the very first thing I'd do is email Longines and see if the serial number comes back as a divers. If so then even if the hands are suspect it's pretty much all there. The same hands were fitted to a couple of Wittnauer 60's divers which might be a source for the right set.

TL;DR? Yep it is a bit of a shot in the dark, but depending on what price you got it for you could still be ahead. Especially if others have similar concerns(plus as it's in Europe, the majority of US buyers are out anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

I'd be a bit worried about a diving watch with what looks like a dress watch dial and hands - I'm not sure how practical it would be in the water?

Fascinating example though - never heard of them before, although I'd be familiar with the compressor case models.

I suppose as it was the early days of true divers watches they were still working out the design kinks. With the early ones the hour hand is the one that sticks out, yet it's the minute had that needs far more attention in actual diving so by the mid 60's they were making that the more prominent hand. A more obvious seconds hand another important indicator as it tells you at a glance the watch is still going. A stopped watch going unnoticed in diving could easily lead to disaster.

My Longines diver from just over a decade later shows the progression.

2zr4491.jpg

In the flesh the hour hand isn't that easy to visually acquire, it's all about the minute and seconds hand that vies for your attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Beautiful watch.

Nice quartz hydroconquest, no bids yet and 2 days to run, keep an eye on it, I think it will come round again at a lower start price if nobody bids on it. Starting at $699.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321760670996?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nice quartz hydroconquest, no bids yet and 2 days to run, keep an eye on it, I think it will come round again at a lower start price if nobody bids on it. Starting at $699.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321760670996?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not really a good deal. The watch is in Japan so import duties to be added. It's a 39mm quartz model and they can be had for about €700 new from European sellers on Chrono24. I have seen full size auto's new with warranty for the same money.

Funny I've noticed of late fewer Longines diver type models(admirals, conquests etc) coming up. In January a search would return pages of the things.

OK how about an IWC with the tuning fork movement?
    $_12.JPG

Two odd days to go 144 sterling 202 euro. 380-400 euro maybe?

Military watch buff? Here's a WW2 German issued so called DH(Dienstuhr Heer/Service watch Army) from Helios.
    $_12.JPG

Not a Luftwaffe one, as they only had the D before the serial number. Still it's in OK original non molested nick, just under two days to go and under a tenner as it stands. 150-160 should get it. Interestingly the bracelet is of a type also issued later on by the Bundeswehr to be used on their pre Heuer chronos. Sadly the pics only show one end, the Bund stamp would be on t'other. I doubt it's an issued bracelet, but even the unissued expandro 1516 bracelets come up rarely enough. How sad am I to know the model number of a feckin bracelet. :o:D

Like the two crown "compressor" cased look, but they're all a bit pricey these days? How about a mid 70s early quartz Zodiac Seawolf?
    $_12.JPG

This one's been through a couple of times. Started off at 300 quid, which was too much, but OK at 200. Mechanical Seawolfs have a pretty big following, but these though much rarer go under the radar. BTW the red dot on the dial isn't a fault, it's in recognition of some award or other the company received in the late 60's IIRC. Also retains the original crowns which so often go walkabout. Doesn't have the optional bracelet that came with them, but they were fitted to a few Zodiacs so would come up sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Seiko Arctura Kinetic SNL
    €135 plus customs etc.

I've had one for the past 8 years and it's never missed a beat

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seiko-arctura-kinetic-snl-watch

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Interestingly the bracelet is of a type also issued later on by the Bundeswehr to be used on their pre Heuer chronos. Sadly the pics only show one end, the Bund stamp would be on t'other. I doubt it's an issued bracelet, but even the unissued expandro 1516 bracelets come up rarely enough. How sad am I to know the model number of a feckin bracelet. :o:D

Wibbs, are you aware of a method of removing a link from the Expandro bracelets? I have a 16mm one but it's just that little bit too loose and I have a couple of watches that I could wear it on - I'm sure you understand the dilemma.

Oh I do CB. It's not immediately obvious with these either. Here's their own "instructions" which are about as helpful as swimming lessons on the Titanic.

349790.jpg

Basically if you want to take out a link you pull the link to its full extension and press down on the inside surface which then allows you to detach it from the next link. Avoid the very centre oddball link, that's like the keystone. It's a bit fiddly, though far easier than sizing the majority of expanding bracelets. EDIT it's also how you get the "clamp" end part over fixed bar watches. Push down on the inside and it allows you to slip them over the bar and it then clicks into place. Very solid connection.

Expanding bracelets used to be extremely popular when I was a kid. One of the makers Spiedel even had TV ads. They were the go to replacement strap on everything from dress watches to divers to digitals. They went completely out of favour near overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Expanding bracelets used to be extremely popular when I was a kid. One of the makers Spiedel even had TV ads. They were the go to replacement strap on everything from dress watches to divers to digitals. They went completely out of favour near overnight.

I remember those must of been late seventies early eighties? Ive even thought about buying one from Spiedel but I have read that the can result in damage to lug holes?

I remember those must of been late seventies early eighties? Ive even thought about buying one from Spiedel but I have read that the can result in damage to lug holes?

They would damage your arm hair, every time you put it on and took it off, half your hairs came with it. Awful, hated them.

Yep that was the time alright M though they seemed quite popular nearly into the nineties. I've heard the same M and can kinda see how that might happen, though over the years I've bought a fair number of vintage watches that came with them(probably stuck in a drawer around that time period) and never found any lug damage myself. I suspect where it occurs is if the end pieces aren't an exact fit. IE say a 17mm strap on an 18mm lug, or those sprung one size fits all type end pieces . Gives them too much movement.

I have seen springbar damage(to failure) with Nato straps mind you and you almost never hear about that. I've been wearing them since the 90's and I found Nato straps put some pressure on springbars. They're also not nearly as secure as many may feel. If you twist the strap near the lugs you'll be surprised how easy the bar can pop out(do it over your bed! :)). To the degree that I either use shoulderless springbars where the watch has drilled lugs and where it doesn't I get the thickest springbars I can find(Seiko ones are built like tanks) and apply a tiny drop of superglue to the inner part and slide the outer over it to lock it. You can still get them off, but they're usually buggered by the process, but it's significantly more secure. With fixed bars Nato's are about as secure as you can get. Never ceases to amaze me that even the most expensive of watches is kept on the wrist by scarily weak and cheap springbars.

Here's a pic of one Erich Hartmann ex WW2 German fighter pilot and the most successful fighter ace in history when he was in the post war bundeswehr wearing his issued Junghans chrono on one of those issued Expandro bracelets.

CboaFv8g4F4.jpg

http://natostrapsco.com/

If anybody is looking for straps these guys are doing a special offer until the 26th, if you are on WUS there is normally 10% off. Prices are starting at $12.50, but shipping is included. Code for 20% is USA20 until 26th May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

I remember those adverts - wasn't the tag line sth. like (jingle)'...Speidel twist...' and someone slid their finger under the strap and twisted it!

LOL!

Advertisement