Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

blue5000 wrote: »
    http://natostrapsco.com/

If anybody is looking for straps these guys are doing a special offer until the 26th, if you are on WUS there is normally 10% off. Prices are starting at $12.50, but shipping is included. Code for 20% is USA20 until 26th May.

Sorry to drag this off topic a bit, but has anyone ordered from these guys?

And despite reading the faq, i'm still none the wiser as to whether I should order either the RAF style, or Nato for my skx007.

It's on a hirsch liberty at the minute but I fancy a change

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

RAF are approx 1mm thick, NATO 1.2mm rest of them are 1.5mm. Would prefer a thicker, stitched one on a diver myself, yes I ordered some this morning.

The RAF straps generally measure: about 1mm in thickness and approximately 9-10" in length (Has 1 Buckle and a Fabric Keeper)
    The NATO Straps generally measure: about 1.2mm in thickness and approximately 10.7" in length (Has 1 Buckle and 3 Rings)
    The NATO XII Straps generally measure: about 1.5mm in thickness and approximately 12" in length (Has 1 Buckle and 3 Rings)
    The Zulu Straps generally measure: about 1.5mm in thickness and approximately 10.7" in length (Comes in 3 OR 5 Ring - see next FAQ question)
    The Zulu XII generally measure: about 1.5mm in thickness and approximately 12" in length (Comes in 3 OR 5 Ring - see next FAQ question)
    The standard NATO and RAF are constructed with a medium weave nylon material.
    The XII and Zulu's are both constructed with a heavier nylon.
    The difference between XII and Zulu is the XII has the square NATO rings and the Zulu has round rings

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Have you tried marketstraps? http://www.market-straps.com/index.php?

They are based in Spain and do not charge for shipping plus they are also cheaper which means you can order a few different types until you find what you like :P

I have placed a few orders and have found them great to deal with. As for straps I personally prefer a 3 ring zulu because they are a little thicker and I am not a huge fan of the extra rings that come on nato straps (I normally cut the flap off) :eek:

For a field watch I like Maratac Mil Series, but for a diver I choose the extra thickness of a zulu.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Cool, I'll check them out too

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh sure FM, though I have seen one other like this. I'll try and dig it up. On the plus side, it's the right case and caseback, movement, bezel and dial layout(not 100% on the crown). The serial number's a goer for the year too(and an email to Longines could confirm if it was fitted to a diver). If someone was trying to ready up a dodgy one from a collection of old parts that matched it wouldn't be the easiest task, especially considering the low production numbers.

Another possibility might be it is original, but the original dial and hands were wrecked by moisture, so a redial and new hands were sought? Or just the hands were buggered and the tritium/radium was removed and a handset that fit was found? Maybe that's what happened with the other one I saw(that particular examples bezel was fecked though, extremely worn, so it's not the same watch). I have seen a few with the original style hands that were pretty corroded. Ditto for the original super compressor version(though those cases were better sealers). Without screwdown crowns you're relying on the newness of the gaskets. Another point in its favour is of all things the seconds hand. It's a bit of a "design flaw" in the original as it looks a little too short for the indices.

I take your point on the low volume front, though back in the day when buyers and companies were far less anal and collectors didn't really exist you could get quite the production variations going on. More than today anyway. Look at the crazy vintage Rolex market with the "rare dials" that spring up because of said variation.

If I was in the market for this watch, the very first thing I'd do is email Longines and see if the serial number comes back as a divers. If so then even if the hands are suspect it's pretty much all there. The same hands were fitted to a couple of Wittnauer 60's divers which might be a source for the right set.

TL;DR? Yep it is a bit of a shot in the dark, but depending on what price you got it for you could still be ahead. Especially if others have similar concerns(plus as it's in Europe, the majority of US buyers are out anyway).

It has disappeared back to the deep, no trace, last I saw there was a bid of $1800 on it. Anybody else know more?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No clue, but I've seen this often enough, someone comes in with an offer you can't refuse bid by ebay messaging, or the seller gets anxious that not enough bids are coming in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It has disappeared
    No clue, but I've seen this often enough,

Come on lads, see the bigger picture for Gods sake, will ye..........

European homeland security are using ebay as a means of expressing threats and receiving aid to sort the issues. It's simple really, the watch origins show the threat origins, the displayed time when cross referenced with the ad uploaded time, demonstrates the location of the threat and the bids represent the code for the solution. When the threat is neutralised the ad disappears.

CT's are what it's all about these days......:D

Vintage seamaster that I won't be buying, £210 at present. It looks like Omega and Longines worked closely together in the '60s. Repainted dial might put some people off though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271874776001?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Low demand for quartz seamasters, particularly mid-size. Check the sold listings.

Anybody looking for an 'interesting' birthday present for a 70 yr old this year?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONGINES-VINTAGE-MENS-WW2-MILITARY-S-STEEL-FROM-1945-/351418332265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51d22a3469

serial no dates to 1942 though

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Anybody looking for an 'interesting' birthday present for a 70 yr old this year?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONGINES-VINTAGE-MENS-WW2-MILITARY-S-STEEL-FROM-1945-/351418332265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51d22a3469

Any idea what that would go for? I'm tempted to throw in a bid for it, but if it's going to fly up, I won't bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Those hands don't look kosher.

Be aware A that it's a very small watch by today's standards. Personally I like wearing that kinda size every so often, but it's something to consider. The watch itself looks pretty legit though the luminous material on the hands has been replaced/restored. It has no connection to an issued military piece, but could well have been worn as one. It's a quality watch of the period that's for sure. Price? Hmmm I'd reckon 250 quid or around that should get it. Maybe a snipe at 300 would make sure. I'd be happier getting it closer to 2 mind you.

PS the movement appears to be in great condition and the regulator sitting damn smack in the middle is always a great sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

PS the movement appears to be in great condition and the regulator sitting damn smack in the middle is always a great sign.

I've often heard you say this Wibbs but I got thinking. Would a savvy seller not just adjust it for the photo?

Oh sure S, but at least on ebay a buyer has much more comeback than a seller, to the degree where IMH it's very unfair on sellers. So if you received the watch and it was running like a three legged horse gaining ten minutes a day then 9 times outa 10 you're going to get your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Would you buy a watch of ebay? How do you know it is genuine?

In the last decade the vast majority of watches I sourced from the bay. How do I know an example is genuine? Research, research, research. To the degree of being Sheldon Cooper anal about it at times :D

Plus while there are most certainly fakes and frankenstein watches out there, most, if not the vast majority are genuine(condition is another story). After all the vast majority of watches and watch models are not rare. This hobby couldn't exist to the degree it does if they were. Watches are by and large mass produced on an industrial scale and have been for over a century. How many Omega Speedmasters have been produced since they first came out? How many Rolex Subs? Millions? Even at the very top end Patek Phillippe produce over 50,000 watches per year. We're not talking Italian old masters here. Though given how often the word "rare" is used within the hobby and especially by dealers and auction houses you could be forgiven for thinking they were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

In the last decade the vast majority of watches I sourced from the bay. How do I know an example is genuine? Research, research, research. To the degree of being Sheldon Cooper anal about it at times :D

Plus while there are most certainly fakes and frankenstein watches out there, most, if not the vast majority are genuine(condition is another story). After all the vast majority of watches and watch models are not rare. This hobby couldn't exist to the degree it does if they were. Watches are by and large mass produced on an industrial scale and have been for over a century. How many Omega Speedmasters have been produced since they first came out? How many Rolex Subs? Millions? Even at the very top end Patek Phillippe produce over 50,000 watches per year. We're not talking Italian old masters here. Though given how often the word "rare" is used within the hobby and especially by dealers and auction houses you could be forgiven for thinking they were.

Cheers Wibbs. I would like a rose gold Calatrava, nearly bought one when we were all millionaires. Calatrava for day to day use, Seamaster for the pool, someday, in the meantime, I will stick to my Raymond Weil which was a pressie from my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

If anyone is looking for a big (47mm) watch TK max have a few of these yokes at 99yoyo in Limerick
    http://www.rsvlts.com/2013/05/23/ballast-watches/

Be warned the crown is nearly as big as the top on a tube of toothpaste:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

So, she's just turned 70 and lost it on her holiers, if any of you have a thin gold watch lying around not being used I'd love to buy it off you, preferably automatic and definitely working. Pm me if you've got something lying around.
    Off course, Ill sort you out cash wise.

I do have a thin gold ladies watch in very good nick(caseback scratch on the back from a clumsy battery change, but otherwise like new) that you'd be most welcome to SM, but I'm afraid it doesn't meet your need for an auto as it's a Seiko quartz. Of course I thought I could just put my hand on it now, but can't find it. Though it's hereabouts somewhere, I'll find it and rustle up some pics in the morrow.

So, she's just turned 70 and lost it on her holiers, if any of you have a thin gold watch lying around not being used I'd love to buy it off you, preferably automatic and definitely working. Pm me if you've got something lying around.
    Off course, Ill sort you out cash wise.

The problem with "thin" and "ladies watch" coupled with "automatic", is that it's a square circle.

I do have a thin gold ladies watch in very good nick(caseback scratch on the back from a clumsy battery change, but otherwise like new) that you'd be most welcome to SM, but I'm afraid it doesn't meet your need for an auto as it's a Seiko quartz. Of course I thought I could just put my hand on it now, but can't find it. Though it's hereabouts somewhere, I'll find it and rustle up some pics in the morrow.

Cheers Wibbs,
    Pm me the price, and I can pop out tomorrow, (don't finish work till 4.00pm, Dublin centre) She's a bit distraught and I think a new(ish) type watch might sooth her a bit.

Cheers man

Ps \i hope no-one thinks this is a pitch :)

If anyone is looking for a big (47mm) watch TK max have a few of these yokes at 99yoyo in Limerick
    http://www.rsvlts.com/2013/05/23/ballast-watches/

Be warned the crown is nearly as big as the top on a tube of toothpaste:eek:

They also have a classic Casio upstairs, hidden in the gadget section, under the men's ties:

http://www.watchtowhat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/casio-digital-watches-1.jpg

13 bucks or something like that, was tempted myself, it's geek chic.

Cheers Wibbs,
    Pm me the price, and I can pop out tomorrow, (don't finish work till 4.00pm, Dublin centre) She's a bit distraught and I think a new(ish) type watch might sooth her a bit.

Cheers man

Ps \i hope no-one thinks this is a pitch :)
    Not at all SM. Look if I can find it and find it I will, price my arse, if it helps the ma, you're most welcome to it man. I think I may even have the box for it somewhere. I was only looking at the damn thing at the weekend. Then again I have a lot of built up junk goin on… and a shíte memory so… :o:D

• Advertisement

Not at all SM. Look if I can find it and find it I will, price my arse, if it helps the ma, you're most welcome to it man. I think I may even have the box for it somewhere. I was only looking at the damn thing at the weekend. Then again I have a lot of built up junk goin on… and a shíte memory so… :o:D
    Ah man I'm not looking for a freebie, Ill sort you out one way or the the other.
    Kindness of strangers n'all.

I recently went to this barbeque place called "My Meat Wagon" right beside the Lighthouse Cinema in Smithfield, I'll give you two tickets and two meals for being so kind. Awesome day out!

Advertisement