Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭fits

Anyone feel like picking out some bargain vintage ladies watches which we of course wont buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

fits wrote: »
    Anyone feel like picking out some bargain vintage ladies watches which we of course wont buy.

Funnily enough I've just bought one but I'm not going to jinx it by revealing quite yet. You'll have to wait out a couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ladies watch, vintage you say? OK for something a little off the beaten track and one I've linked to before and for some odd reason it's still not sold. :confused:

A late 1960's Philip watch Caribbean in "ladies size". Automatic 300m/1000ft tritium dialled screwdown crown lump of lovely. At 32mm and built from solid steel it would wear a little larger and with my thin wrists I have been sooooo tempted every time it came up(I regularly wear 31-34mm so…).
    $_12.JPG

It's in immaculate condition with all bracelet links present. If that was the "man's size" it would be snapped up in the blink of an eye at 1500 quid and I've seen them hit 2000. Yep. The 1000ft deep divers go for big money. Perfect for the lady about town into sports and such. That thing head butts Rolex divers for fun. I'd throw an offer of 180 sterling at them. Given it's been in stock for a while they might go for that, but even at it's buy it now price that's a steal and potential investment IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd throw an offer of 180 sterling at them. Given it's been in stock for a while they might go for that, but even at it's buy it now price that's a steal and potential investment IMHO.

Looking at his Goofbid best offer history his average accepted discount is 30% so he might take a bit less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭fits

Beautiful watch. Don't think it would work on a very small wrist though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Looking at his Goofbid best offer history his average accepted discount is 30% so he might take a bit less than that.
    That Goofbid is handy. Never knew it existed. Sweet.
    fits wrote: »
    Beautiful watch. Don't think it would work on a very small wrist though.
    Maybe. And maybe that's why it remains unsold. just that big too large for he ladies and just that bit too small for the gentlemen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

More closely following the thread title and one nobody should buy and it's no bargain.

Man's 1972 JLC Master Quartz A good example of ebay BS that newbies should watch out for. Lots of bells and whistles, mentions of "horology" and the pretence of expertise in the description but much of it is nonsense and the watch is nigh on worthless now. Basically he replaced the original movement with a crappy modern quartz. The original movement of which he has zero clue. It wasn't a "low jewelled movement with train driven pallet fork and coil early ETA calibre". :rolleyes: No such beast even existed as a quartz. He's confusing it with an ESA electronic movement. He claims the handset is original, but that's a fib as well. Totally wrong handset for the MQ. Big clue; never mind the wrong size and design, tritium lume on the dial, none on the hands. And of course the date doesn't fit as the original movement was much larger than modern examples.

Yet he already has one offer? :confused: Unless the one making the offer is suggesting fifty quid for the lot and they have a donor movement and hands laying around, I'd reckon they've hit the gargle a bit early in the day. Then again a month ago a French seller listed a Fake Heuer Bund and clearly stated that it was fake, an "homage" and the damn thing got a rush of bidders and sold for nearly 800 euroquids. Daft. *heads desk*

Buyer beware folks.

EDIT I'm so tempted to add a comment on his youtube link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Wibbs, he mentions at the bottom of the eBay ad:

"Antique watches generally experience an error of up to 5-7 minutes a day. Any accuracy of +- 5 minutes is very good"

"High altitude flights can be hard on watches due to extreme temperature changes. This can cause the oil viscosity to decrease (gum up) and prevent a watch from ticking (the balance moving freely etc.). It may need to be oiled when it arrives regardless of its recent servicing (if applicable). Although this is only a very slight possibility it can occasionally happen."

Is that true or just a cop out and an excuse for selling a watch in poor working order? I mean, I've never heard of Yuri Gagarin's Sturmanskie having any issues with altitude for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Wibbs wrote: »
    More closely following the thread title and one nobody should buy and it's no bargain.

Man's 1972 JLC Master Quartz A good example of ebay BS that newbies should watch out for. Lots of bells and whistles, mentions of "horology" and the pretence of expertise in the description but much of it is nonsense and the watch is nigh on worthless now. Basically he replaced the original movement with a crappy modern quartz. The original movement of which he has zero clue. It wasn't a "low jewelled movement with train driven pallet fork and coil early ETA calibre". :rolleyes: No such beast even existed as a quartz. He's confusing it with an ESA electronic movement. He claims the handset is original, but that's a fib as well. Totally wrong handset for the MQ. Big clue; never mind the wrong size and design, tritium lume on the dial, none on the hands. And of course the date doesn't fit as the original movement was much larger than modern examples.

Yet he already has one offer? :confused: Unless the one making the offer is suggesting fifty quid for the lot and they have a donor movement and hands laying around, I'd reckon they've hit the gargle a bit early in the day. Then again a month ago a French seller listed a Fake Heuer Bund and clearly stated that it was fake, an "homage" and the damn thing got a rush of bidders and sold for nearly 800 euroquids. Daft. *heads desk*

Buyer beware folks.

EDIT I'm so tempted to add a comment on his youtube link.

That lad has 100% positive feedback with over 2000 transactions as a seller??!?!

• Advertisement

lizzyman wrote: »
    Wibbs, he mentions at the bottom of the eBay ad:

"Antique watches generally experience an error of up to 5-7 minutes a day. Any accuracy of +- 5 minutes is very good"

"High altitude flights can be hard on watches due to extreme temperature changes. This can cause the oil viscosity to decrease (gum up) and prevent a watch from ticking (the balance moving freely etc.). It may need to be oiled when it arrives regardless of its recent servicing (if applicable). Although this is only a very slight possibility it can occasionally happen."

Is that true or just a cop out and an excuse for selling a watch in poor working order? I mean, I've never heard of Yuri Gagarin's Sturmanskie having any issues with altitude for example.
    Arse covering in a big way LM.

The accuracy statement is nothing short of utter nonsense. An "antique"(wut?) watch running out of true to the tune of 5-7 minutes a day is - not to put too fine a point in it - fcuked. Something is seriously wrong in the engine. EG my Longines from 1916 if worn daily wouldn't be out by that in between putting the clocks back and forward twice a year. Granted that's in fantastic nick on the inside, low miles I suspect and lots of services, so a lucky outlier. The best performance I've ever had from a mechanical wristwatch was with my 1930's Zenith. After a complete teardown including some real fancy balance work by an elderly Yoda type it was knocking COSC chronometer ratings out of the park. It would gain 1-2 seconds per day on the wrist and left laying 12 up on my bedside table overnight as a clock would go back to true by morning. Regardless of those particularly solid performers, none of my old watches gain or lose that in a week. Don't forget that when new any half decent watch from a "name" was usually a one off lifetime purchase and expected to give decent enough timekeeping. Not chronometer levels for most, but a watch out by near ten minutes a day would be going back to the jeweller for a refund, or replacement. The old stylee pocket watches often ran extremely accurately(that Zenith above ran a PW movement for just this reason as did German wartime navigation watches). My 30's Longines PW runs at tuning fork accuracy.

The altitude/shipping aspect has some legs. Especially if said watch is already rough as a badgers arse. It's more to do with with post/baggage handlers and crappy packaging though. I once got an "antique" watch from France sent loose in an ordinary envelope. :eek: It survived mind you and still runs well under a minute per day and I haven't even had it serviced. Where I have found what I suspect are altitude/temperature issues is with quartz/electronic watches. The early ones anyway. I've had a few arrive with apparently fine batteries that ran all over the place. Brand new battery in and a few days "rest" and up they ran good as new. Though when sellers mention this it's the ebay equivalent of "it wasn't like that when I sold it to you". It's a good sign to avoid like the plague.
    GEO147 wrote: »
    That lad has 100% positive feedback with over 2000 transactions as a seller??!?!
    Doesn't surprise me in the least TBH Geo. I've seen far worse sellers of various collectibles that are selling outright fakes who get 100% feedback. A US dealer that has even featured on Hodinkee is another one with florid descriptions, dodgy dials and ratty movements. A shockingly high number of buyers are blissfully ignorant about what they're paying for. Others see a name like JLC and add in dealer speak and that's as far as they look. Others realise they've bought a dud, either don't want to admit it, or only find out it's a dud a few weeks, even days after they leave feedback. There are enough suckers and newbies out there.

In short this hobby has a thick layer of bullshít to it and the only way to wade through it is to be near anal with personal research and that of folks who know a particular model/brand well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

wibbs wrote:
    Others see a name like JLC and add in dealer speak and that's as far as they look.

Exactly - people will see the brand name, a brand new modern engine replacement and think they're getting something premium that won't have problems you get with old stuff.

And WRT the positive eBay feedback - if it all holds together until the feedback window closes, despite being faker than a fake thing - then it's easy to see how it happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Eoin wrote: »
    Exactly - people will see the brand name, a brand new modern engine replacement and think they're getting something premium that won't have problems you get with old stuff.

And WRT the positive eBay feedback - if it all holds together until the feedback window closes, despite being faker than a fake thing - then it's easy to see how it happens.

I'm not an expert in watches by any means, but to me it would seem to take an old watch, strip out the movement and putting another one in is somehow the equivalent of classic car diesel conversions, like the Jaguar XJS I once saw with a Nissan diesel engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm not an expert in watches by any means, but to me it would seem to take an old watch, strip out the movement and putting another one in is somehow the equivalent of classic car diesel conversions, like the Jaguar XJS I once saw with a Nissan diesel engine.

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do by any means, just how it could sound appealing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anybody going to be 50 next year?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381308118244?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BUT
    It's in Peru, 17 hours to run, vintage seamaster, and I've noticed in seller's sold listings a watch that reappears, which would suggest that the seller likes to bid on their own stuff. £84 now, but it will go higher me thinks.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Eoin wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's the right thing to do by any means, just how it could sound appealing.

It does from a certain perspective. Like the Jag in my example. Nice, new engine, starts every time, will do 50 mpg, be ultra reliable, cheap to run, can be used as an every day car, of course there's an appeal. Of course that is once one ignores the fact that it's completely missing the point of and old watch or a car. :)
    We have something like that at my mother's house. A beatiful old wallclock, must be near a hundred years old. My father overwound it and smashed the works. It now has a quartz movement inside, something you could get for a fiver. I die a little inside everytime I see that clock. At least we did it out of necessity, not because we thought "Of course, this is much better, it doesn't go Bong all the time, never needs winding and keeps much better time now", from that point of view it's an improvement. It's like those "retro" record players you can buy in bargain shops, I have an uncontrollable urge to throw them in front of a bus every time I see them.

True Dr F and back in the 80's there was quite the business in quartz conversions for "old windup" watches for just those reasons. With this particular example though he* has replaced a far superior quartz movement with a far inferior one and lost the hands and the date doesn't line up, neither does the seconds hand to the indices(the video really shows this).

*though I would bet good money he replaced nada and it came to him like that. The rest is flim flam on his part, otherwise he'd know the hands were replacements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I may be crazy, but I always had a thing for Russian watches. Am I the only one? It's the cheapest way to get a watch that not everyone else has, even if it is the watch equivalent of a Lada Niva:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RUSSIAN-VOSTOK-211163-MILITARY-WRIST-WATCH-KOMANDIRSKIE-BRAND-NEW-/321753445173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae9fff335

I also appreciate that it's a Submarine watch that is merely water resistant.:D

$_57.JPG

So, interesting or GTFO? I will accept any abuse.

I've got to concur with the sentiment here. I'd be new to the Russian thing but the Poljot Sturmanskie Gargarin watch is a beaut. The first watch in space I suppose:). Similar in construct is the Strela Chronograph. I'll try pop up some pictures if I get a chance.

Apologies for quoting inserted picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Those Russian watches do look lovely

$53 dollars. I'm so tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Hanging around in Dalian, North east China and had some time on my hands so I decided to look at some of the watch concessions in my local shopping mall.

2 Omega boutique ' s here btw -( well not in the same mall..the second is in the mall across the street.)

Tried on a fifty fathoms as one tends to do. Had a look at the bathyscape. Then into the Panerai shop. Past the JLC window once I realise that it too is run by the same manager and she may have copped by now that I don't actually have any money ;)

Then up the escalator past a couple dozen more concessions (Hublot, Tag, chopard etc) to the Rolex boutique where I tried on the watch I'm thinking about starting to date, the Sub. no date.
    Really surprised that the new fat lugs don't look too bad in real life. It's still a nice sized watch. The price here is €8k btw! I think I'll date it some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Actually just recalculated. The Sub no date is €8900. So the ones in Weirs that I'm not buying really are bargains:)

SturmanskieGagarinWrist-1.jpg

Here's the Sturmanskie. Now on reflection, I'm thinking circa 600 might be a bit steep for this piece. I think history can seriously affect the worth of an item.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This Sturmanskie wasn't the first watch in space, that particular model never actually was in space at all, it's just a commemorative edition ...one of many bearing the Gagarin name.

600 is a lot alright...you could get it for 100 less from Germany (and not pay duty/tax) but even that is still expensive.

Two to three years ago these things would go for the mid 200's and with a bit of patience can be still had for that kind of money (near new or without packaging)

I've never paid more than 250 for any of my five poljot chronos :D

a bit of the history of the first watch in space can be found in this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88096508&postcount=2241

Ah yeah. I didn't google it or anything - merely surmising the correlation between the two or read somewhere it was a watch like that. Might have a breeze through that link though. You'll have to pass me on another link as to where you've acquired all those poljots for that price too :)

that's an easy one ...starts with e and ends in bay :D

Heh. Yeah, I perused it earlier. Some nice examples for a decent price indeed. I thought you might have had a few more nuggets up your sleeve! Cheers:)

$_35.JPG

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Russian-Mechanische-Taucheruhr-Chronograph-Poljot-31681-10-ATM-Saphirglas-/251997620528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3aac3a8930

Bargain at 200 quid !

Reason I'm not buying ...just recently got one ...for 50 quid more :pac:

EDIT:
    well ..that was short lived ..today the price is 327,--
    (At least it means I did buy at a bargain price after all :D )

peasant wrote: »

Nice. Think I know that seller as well. There's a couple in a very nice all black that I've placed on watch. Who doesn't want a watch in all black! C'mon now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Advertisement