Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A page back lizzyman mentioned ebay descriptions saying old watches can run to 5-7 minutes per day and I've read that such old watches weren't exactly sterling performers in their day. Well while digging for something else I found this advert, looks World War One or soon after.

354514.jpg

Regard if ye will the description on the wristwatch. "regulated never to lose or gain more than 4 seconds per day"[emphasis mine]. Now given it's advertised as compensated for temp and position and has a micrometer regulator it's higher than average standard of quality, but not by that much. Chances are it was 15, maybe 18 jewel, like the quality types of the time, the regulator would help tweak the best performance, but a good quality lever 15 jewel of the time would be expected to be accurate to well under 30 seconds of less per day. And this is nearly a century ago. One of those watches if it's a good one and has not suffered the intervening years should still be running close enough to the accuracy of when new. No way should it be out five minutes per day that's for sure.

There used to be a page on the webs way back where a watchmaking chap with a particular interest in these very early watches would strip them and "tune them up", balance work and the like and he was regularly getting well within modern chronometer specs and showed proof with electronic timing machines(solid amplitudes and 0.0 type daily rates on the read outs). The Zeniths among the European makers and the Walthams among the US makers were the best IIRC.

Kinda puts a different slant on things.

I would say though that when watches got smaller, more widespread and cheaper say in late 20's on, accuracy dropped among the average. Small movements are hard to dig really good accuracy from. Still not five minutes adrift.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

lizzyman wrote: »

can be got for a lot less on the u.s fourms, if one has patience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

lizzyman wrote: »
    Wibbs, he mentions at the bottom of the eBay ad:

"Antique watches generally experience an error of up to 5-7 minutes a day. Any accuracy of +- 5 minutes is very good"

"High altitude flights can be hard on watches due to extreme temperature changes. This can cause the oil viscosity to decrease (gum up) and prevent a watch from ticking (the balance moving freely etc.). It may need to be oiled when it arrives regardless of its recent servicing (if applicable). Although this is only a very slight possibility it can occasionally happen."

Is that true or just a cop out and an excuse for selling a watch in poor working order? I mean, I've never heard of Yuri Gagarin's Sturmanskie having any issues with altitude for example.

i have a lever set hamden from 1921 i think, it kept perfect time until i dropped it on the kitchen floor, now it is five minutes a day fast,
    when i first staeted buying watches over 50 odd years ago, i used to purchace from two elderly lady watchmakers, their dad was a german national who arrive here before the war, one got verbal abuse when one collected a watch after a cleaning, as regards various agriculture based item which entered the watch, included in the lecture was advice on not wearing it in bed and winding it first thing every morning, they never stocked a slim watch because they claimed a small movement would not stand up to the requirements in rural ireland at the time, you can imagne the horrified reactions when i inquired about a new fangled quartz watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

There's a poll running on Massdrop at the minute in relation to which Steinhart they do a deal on. Can't link it, cos I'm on the phone. Might be useful to someone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371381849579?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Don't know if this is a bargain or not, says it's been serviced. Have a close look at 4 o'clock(under the reflection) before you bid.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I didnt think this fully justified its own thread, so at £155 it is not a high investment, but it is interesting!

Probably a bit too trendy for me, but I think the walnut round one is the nicest.

http://grovemade.com/collections/wood-watch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

blue5000 wrote: »

Ironically does not ship to Ireland.

We'll send Wibbs to collect it in person, he can wear it for the first week. My passport is out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lovely watch those B-Uhrs and the IWC about the nicest. Sadly just too big to wear. :( I had a Stowa one back in the day, same first version dial too, but huge.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There's a new special edition Vostok Amphibia ...and it's just gorgeous

reason I'm not buying ..I've realised I really can't have them all :o

356377.jpg

http://meranom.com/amphibian-se/420se/vostok-watch-amphibian-se-420416lw.html

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's lovely. I have to say my own Amphibia (on a navy Nato) gets more wrist time than any other watch these days. Nice to look at, auto, comfortable, fully waterproof, quick drying, not too heavy and indestructible. Just looked it up, I paid €64 for it brand new including shipping. A lot of watch for ridiculously little money.

+1 You really can't go wrong with an Amphibia, on damn near every level. OK to be fair with the vintage there are a lot of Ukraine "specials" but with a bit of research you can usually steer that course easily enough. Otherwise if you're looking for a mechanical watch that is built like a tank and beats up Rolex Subs in dark alleyways then the oul Boctok :) Amphibia's are a damn good bet. Never mind that the tech behind the design is outstandingly clever and practical and if their water proofing design carried a big name Swiss on the dial it would be many multiples of the price and would have more rabid fanboys. Oh and the few I've had I found could be tweaked to give really good accuracy. The only one I have left in my collection, a late 70's, early 80's one, I got close to COSC standards and yep even after all this time it passed the 200 metre test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

so what Amphibian would ye recommend...looking for something in blue..Scuba Dude ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

They seem to be very popular with modders. Love the sail and scuba dude dials.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

so what Amphibian would ye recommend...looking for something in blue..Scuba Dude ?

I have this blue Scuba Dude, bought it new 2.5 years ago

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4O9PDWNZfTufWAm1-_WB5N3RfhDkNkzZej0mZaZlPTgtj3Vzm

The strap is crap, mine went straight into the bin. Had a rubber on it which was fine, but currently have a navy Nato which is perfect for the watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The older Scuba Dudes have a sunburst dial which the newer ones don't see to have or at least not with the same iridescence. If you can find a decent vintage one they look great. Mine is below, although I have a sneaking suspicion it's been re-housed in a Komandirskie case.

BABCA901-00B7-4305-801A-511D9F263ACF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Saw a mint 2008 Date Sub. in a Dublin Jewellers today for €5700 - with box and papers. Am I correct in thinking that it seems like a good price?

I am told that the watch has been serviced by Rolex...but there are no Rolex service papers...

• Advertisement

Saw a mint 2008 Date Sub. in a Dublin Jewellers today for €5700 - with box and papers. Am I correct in thinking that it seems like a good price?

I am told that the watch has been serviced by Rolex...but there are no Rolex service papers...

Strange, I can see my post in the Desktop view but not using the touch interface. I have seen this happen a few times.

Edit - can see both this post and the previous one now. Presume this was just a caching issue with the touch site:)

In hindsight I'm starting to think that this is only a good price if it has actually been recently serviced by Rolex. It's a tad cheaper than watchfinders but there may be better value to be had on TZ UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

peasant wrote: »
    There's a new special edition Vostok Amphibia ...and it's just gorgeous

reason I'm not buying ..I've realised I really can't have them all :o

http://meranom.com/amphibian-se/420se/vostok-watch-amphibian-se-420416lw.html

From the linked website it looks like these are out of stock, I can't seem to find them elsewhere. Anybody have any ideas?

From the linked website it looks like these are out of stock, I can't seem to find them elsewhere. Anybody have any ideas?

These are special (limited) edition and not available anywhere else ... get an account, put yourself down on the "add to your wishlist" and hope that you're quick enough to nab one if and when they become available again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Due to the falling ruble (and probably because this model may be no longer made and is being sold off) this stunning new Raketa Yalta is now an affordable 331 Euro (used to be > 600)

yalta-0063.jpg

http://world.raketa-shop.com/raketa-yalta/75-yalta-0063.html

Reason I''m not buying ..not the gold watch type really

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Edit: it's sold; not surprised at that price.

This Seiko is going for £150 on TZ (you might not have access to sales corner).

Seems to be well priced, and a nice balance between dressy and sporty (faux-sporty though, fixed bezel and non-screwed crown). I'm tempted, but think I'm going to hold out for a Sumo.

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae41/WHERRY/DSCN2037_zps6blfm0xb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

There was a grand Seiko for less than 1k gbp last week! Bargain and a half!

• Advertisement

Advertisement